Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baking 101 Baking 101

Cake Decorating Fail! *Added Pics*

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:01 PM
  • 20 Replies

The idea:

Result:

My icing was too warm, so I just went with it.  It is my daughter's smash cake for her party tomorrow.

Here's the cake for everyone else--went WAY better.  (Marshmallow Fondant)

The name isn't centered and not all the balls around the edge are even but I think it is pretty good for my first time working with fondant!

**Pic from the party

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
psych_mom
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:09 PM

What kind of icing did you use?

frndlyfn
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I prefer the "messed up"one for a smash cake.   The roses are too fancy for a child.   I have never seen a smash cake larger than the actual party cake for guests.

Kellileanne
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I used the store bought thick and creamy vanilla for the smash cake.  I had just bought it and got it home when I colored it and immediately started using it.  I'm sure she won't care but I had a picture in my mind of what I wanted to do and it didn't work the way I was hoping it would.

Quoting psych_mom:

Kellileanne
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:38 PM

The smash cake is a 6in and the other is an 8in.  It was just something I was wanting to do, thought it woud be pretty.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I prefer the "messed up"one for a smash cake.   The roses are too fancy for a child.   I have never seen a smash cake larger than the actual party cake for guests.

frndlyfn
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:41 PM

oops my bad,  from the photos it looks like it is bigger.   I still like the swirly design more than roses.  I bet your dd will ooh and ahh at it.

Quoting Kellileanne:

The smash cake is a 6in and the other is an 8in.  It was just something I was wanting to do, thought it woud be pretty.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Kellileanne
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I'll have a picture of both cakes together tomorrow, I'm too tired to get back up right now. :)

Quoting frndlyfn:

oops my bad,  from the photos it looks like it is bigger.   I still like the swirly design more than roses.  I bet your dd will ooh and ahh at it.

Quoting Kellileanne:

Quoting frndlyfn:

skinsfan26
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:50 PM

i think the smash cake is cute the way it turned out. tye-dye swirls

awesomemommy2
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:52 PM
What did you use to color it. If you used food color that is why. It waters down the icing. Next time use the Wilton icing from a craft/ cake store and the icing colors. More money but worth it.

Quoting Kellileanne:

I used the store bought thick and creamy vanilla for the smash cake.  I had just bought it and got it home when I colored it and immediately started using it.  I'm sure she won't care but I had a picture in my mind of what I wanted to do and it didn't work the way I was hoping it would.

Quoting psych_mom:

awesomemommy2
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:53 PM
The smash cake looks taller. Did you use a box of mix for each. If so then they are the same size. One is just wider than the other.
psych_mom
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 6:02 PM

When making the rosettes on these cakes it is better to use a thicker, homemade butter cream. Store bought frosting is to thin and won't easily hold the shape. It is cute for a smash cake.

Quoting Kellileanne:

Quoting psych_mom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN