Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baking 101 Baking 101

Cake Decorating Fail! *Added Pics*

Posted by   + Show Post

The idea:

Result:

My icing was too warm, so I just went with it.  It is my daughter's smash cake for her party tomorrow.

Here's the cake for everyone else--went WAY better.  (Marshmallow Fondant)

The name isn't centered and not all the balls around the edge are even but I think it is pretty good for my first time working with fondant!

**Pic from the party

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Replies (11-20):
Kellileanne
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Ah, ok.  It was regular food coloring.  A friend of mine does professional cakes and she was giving me pointers but I didn't think about the icing and she is in Belgium so she wasn't online when I needed to ask! lol

Quoting awesomemommy2:

What did you use to color it. If you used food color that is why. It waters down the icing. Next time use the Wilton icing from a craft/ cake store and the icing colors. More money but worth it.

Quoting Kellileanne:

I used the store bought thick and creamy vanilla for the smash cake.  I had just bought it and got it home when I colored it and immediately started using it.  I'm sure she won't care but I had a picture in my mind of what I wanted to do and it didn't work the way I was hoping it would.

Quoting psych_mom:

What kind of icing did you use?

Kellileanne
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Yeah, it was store bought icing--then I used regular food coloring to color it.  I will keep all these suggestions in mind, my 5yr old turns 6 in November and wants a flower cake. :-/  She had picked what she wanted her sister to have and I thought it would be easy enough.

Quoting psych_mom:

When making the rosettes on these cakes it is better to use a thicker, homemade butter cream. Store bought frosting is to thin and won't easily hold the shape. It is cute for a smash cake.

Quoting Kellileanne:

I used the store bought thick and creamy vanilla for the smash cake.  I had just bought it and got it home when I colored it and immediately started using it.  I'm sure she won't care but I had a picture in my mind of what I wanted to do and it didn't work the way I was hoping it would.

Quoting psych_mom:

What kind of icing did you use?

pbjbarr
by Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 7:08 AM
I love the smash cake! Looks tie dye :) can frosting never works to decorate. :(
Diane1223
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I love the colors on both cakes ;)
Kellileanne
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Thanks, I learned the hard way it doesn't work! lol

Quoting pbjbarr:

I love the smash cake! Looks tie dye :) can frosting never works to decorate. :(

hnjen12
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I really love this cake.

Quoting Kellileanne:

Kellileanne
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Thanks, I'm making plans to practice again since my older daughter really wants the flower cake. If I cant get it to work then I will try to distract with some kind of princess cake.

Quoting hnjen12:

I really love this cake.

Quoting Kellileanne:

wickedstepjenn
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 1:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Well if you hadn't mentioned it was a fail I wouldnt have known. I think its very pretty. :-) and the other cake isn't bad either. My first time the fondont looked like lump city lol.
Kellileanne
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Quoting wickedstepjenn:

Well if you hadn't mentioned it was a fail I wouldnt have known. I think its very pretty. :-) and the other cake isn't bad either. My first time the fondont looked like lump city lol.
I was surprised the fondant went so well, it was SO easy to work with! And, my nephews and older daughter went NUTS over it, my older daughter was the one who first said it tasted like marshmallows.
wickedstepjenn
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this
I uswd that nasty wilton one. I am planning on making the marshmellow one next time. My friend made it and I wasn't going to eat it bwcause I thought it waa the almond kind lol. Its vwey tasty!

Quoting Kellileanne:

Quoting wickedstepjenn:

I was surprised the fondant went so well, it was SO easy to work with! And, my nephews and older daughter went NUTS over it, my older daughter was the one who first said it tasted like marshmallows.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN