Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baking 101 Baking 101

Chocolate help needed

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 7 Replies

So I made Peanut Butter snowballs for the 1st time tonight....when I make stuff with chocolate as a coating I usually use the stuff from like Michaels...for when I'm making things like chocolate dipped pretzels or whatnot. Well I didn't have any of that left at the house and on the recipe it says you can use regular semi-sweet chocolate chips, etc...but add a Tbs of shortening. So it all worked great and tastes great but the chocolate didn't harden. So I put them in the fridge and of course they did but I shouldn't need to do that. How can I use chocolate chips or should I just go get the candy coating chocolate stuff from Michaels?

by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MixedCooke
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 12:51 AM

you put it in the microwave (30 second intervals) until it softens to the consistency that you want but you have to work fast, so the tbs of shortening is probably to allow you more time to work with it.

jlm425
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 5:13 PM

i'm not having a problem melting it...once i dunk the peanut butter balls in it the chocolate it isn't hardening unless i put it in the fridge...which i shouldn't have to do.

Quoting MixedCooke:

you put it in the microwave (30 second intervals) until it softens to the consistency that you want but you have to work fast, so the tbs of shortening is probably to allow you more time to work with it.

Colter
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:06 AM

It could be the quality of chocolate chips.  I used Nestle ch.chips as a coating on snowballs a few weeks ago.  It hardened fine. 

jlm425
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Interesting. i think thats what i used. i'll try again, thanks.

Quoting Colter:

It could be the quality of chocolate chips.  I used Nestle ch.chips as a coating on snowballs a few weeks ago.  It hardened fine. 

mommersx4
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 5:04 PM

I have used one tsp. of crisco to one large package of choc chips and it hardened fine.

Mamabear436
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:55 AM

just melt cips over doubble boiler( or ina glass bowel over boiling water.

then dip away , chocolate will harden. and nothing

jlm425
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:25 PM

thanks ladies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)