Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All you need to know about COUNTING CALORIES

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:06 AM
  • 5 Replies

I just thought I would post this here-College Inn has helped me make a ton of recipies that are low calorie and taste great- which has helped me maintain my diet over the holidays-and still feel like I was getting to eat great food. Everyone keeps asking me how I lost the weight and I tell them I count calories-so here is a break down of how to count your calories, and get on track to a better healthier you for 2009.

Did you know that it takes your body 3500 calories to burn one pound of fat. ONE POUND.  If you think about that it also means that if you consume 3500 calories your adding ONE POUND of fat into your body. Lets figure that one out for a minute. Lets say for instance you decide that you want to stop at McDonalds for dinner. Your thinking a Big Mac sounds pretty good-Large Fries, and a coke. But your also really in the mood for some of their apple pies.  Right there alone you've consumed over 1200 calories. If you have ate like that all day its not going to be hard to get in that 3500 calories-and lets say for instance your thinking  "ya I had a lot for dinner -but I walked for a total of 30 min today-about 2 miles." A two mile brisk walk between 20 and 30 minutes burns roughly 175 calories-It would take you about 3 hours of walking to burn off your dinner-who has time for that.

If your thinking of counting calories here are some things you need to know:

Basically to loose weight  YOU HAVE TO BURN MORE THEN YOU TAKE IN

A  calorie-is basically energy-calories give us energy and when they don't get burned or used we store them as fat.

3500 calories = a pound of fat

Burning 3500 calories looses a pound of fat ( it take 5 hours of strait jogging to burn about 3500 calories)

Eliminating 3500 calories from your diet burns a pound of fat

If you want to loose about 2lbs a week you need to either find a way to cut out 6000 calories a week or burn 6000 calories a week. Or do a combination of things

1.       You can count your calories and find out at this website how many calories your using to maintain your current body weight-say you  weigh 185 and to stay at 185 your body typically uses 2400 calories a day-if you wanted to gain 1 pound a week you would add 500 calories to your diet making it 2900 calories a day. To loose 1 pound a week you need to eliminate  500 calories from your diet. Bringing that down to 1900 calorie diet-that may not seem so hard for you-but when your just starting out it can be very overwhelming-you don't realize how fast your calories add up until you start to count them.

2.     Now lets try to loose 1.5 pounds a week at 185. I know that I need to cut out at least 500 calories from my diet everyday bringing my consumption of calories to 1900 and I need to try and burn an extra  250 calories through out the day. (a 45min to one hour of exercise) There are a lot of websites that will break down everything you do into calories-don't be fooled by them-if your sedimentary then you need to get off your butt and get moving-if your typically an active person-  then take that into consideration-if your on your feet all day-yes you get more activity then you would if your at your desk all day. But still try to get in some kind of activity. And if your sedimentary -you need to try really hard to get that activity in. And your going to fill hungrier-your burning your calories-your body is going to think I need to replace those-at this time its good to realize the difference between good hunger and bad hunger-we will get into that later-just try to snack on healthy snacks and drink your water to get you through your moments.

3.     You must eat-you can not cut your calories down to barely anything -you will bottom out your metabolism-eating is what gets your metabolism working-that's why you must always eat breakfast-it gets your metabolism working for the rest of the day. If your used to taking in 2200 cal and you try to cut your calories down to 1200 or 1500 to start-your going to go into starvation mode and your body will store anything and everything you take into your mouth. Then you will gain-you have to start slowly

4.      When you start to loose the weight you want-your going to have to come back to revamp your weight loss plan. Once your start loosing weight your body doesn't require the same amount of calories it had in the beginning-if you weigh 175 you may only need 1900 calories a day to stay at that weight. Go back to the website figure out where your at, and then decide what works best for you again. Staying focused and on top of things will help you overall be where you want to be in the long run.

5.    Journal-keep track of the foods you eat, the calories, and amounts. Make a list of foods you love that you tend to eat more of, and the calories they have -you may find that your going to have to limit yourself more on the oreos, but in turn you can eat more of the popcorn you love-its a give and take your just going to have to play out before you get there.

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Thanks for the valuable insight.. I'm going to put a copy of this on my fridge.♫

RockYou FXText - Get Your Own

by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Thanks for the info.  That will be very helpful to a lot of people as we start a new year.  : )

by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 12:16 PM

Thanks for sharing

by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 1:24 PM

This is great. Thanks for sharing.

by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Thank you for this great article!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)