Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

challenged in the kitchen!!

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:00 AM
  • 20 Replies

Lets just say that I am unable to cook. Yes I do it, but I am always cooking the same things and I would like to find the most easy recipes around!! YOu know with a limited amount of ingrediants that are FAMILIAR nothing weird hahaha!! My kids and my hubby are so done with what I always make. We had bought a half of a cow(which by the way I have never done or heard of until I moved to Missouri) and we also bought a pig! I have every kind of meat there is and I could care less if I ever ate again because we have so much of it. PLEASE help me find new things to do with it!!!

Thanks for the recipes!!

Love Always JIllian

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HaileysMommy130
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:14 AM

omg!!! thats a lot of meat!

i would make sheperds pie,my mom makes it by just browning ground hamburg then putting that on the bottom of a baking dish (8x10), then puts a can of corn on top of that, then some mash potatoes on top of that, then brushes the top of the mash potatoes with a little milk and butter. then bake it at 350 for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

also some kind of soup with ground beef again, brown that on the bottom of a pot then add a can of campbells tomato soup, then fill the pot halfway with water then add a can of all-veg the big one, simmer until hot.

thats all i can think of right now besides getting 8 different kinds of hamburger helper!LOL

Been kicked out of another group?

COME JOIN US! We won't kick you out!!

http://www.cafemom.com/groups/drake12308

mommy4or2
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Thanks for the recipes and your humor!!! yeah I thought that my husband was crazy!! But in the end I am glad that I went along with it because we havn't had to buy meat for almost eight months now!!

dustinsmom1
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Thats the best way to buy meat, in bulk. Do your cut your own, or do you have the butcher do it? Either way you should have a number of choice cuts and the potential for incredible meals are endless! Meatloaves, roast, steaks, burgers, Chops, ribs, loin...my goodness...get yourself a good cookbook or two and you'll be cooking like a pro in no time!

rsgmom
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Get yourself a crock pot if you don't already have one.  It's great because you can just throw everything in the pot in the morning and it's ready by dinner time. 

Also, I agree w/the pp re: a cookbook.  My favorite for novice cooks is the Joy of Cooking.  They explain everything and give you a ton of recipes.  Martha Stewart also has a new cookbook with great tips for beginners.

Bon appetit!

kimsardo
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:06 PM

I just wanted to share that I'm challenged in the kitchen also.  I use the crock pot a lot. It's easy.

ohwrite
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Crockpot is the best suggestion. Throw a roast in the crockpot in the morning with a bottle of BBQ sauce, and BBQ beef by dinner. Throw a roast in the crockpot with a bottle of beer or some wine and beef broth, and a sliced onion and beef dip sandwiches by dinner. Throw some round steak in the crockpot with some mushrooms and a can of cream of mushroom soup an envelope of lipton onion soup mix, stir in some sour cream at the end, and stroganoff.

I also do the BBQ sauce with pork roast for BBQ pork sandwiches, and a pork roast or a beef roast with potatoes, carrots and onions and a can of broth or bottle of beer make a great roast dinner.

Love that crockpot!!!

mommy4or2
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Thanks everyone.... I do have a crockpot but I guess where I get confused is what to put in it with the meat to make it different from each meal. I always put the same seasonings, but I guess from what I got from you all is that almost anything will do! Thanks alot for the ideas!

mommy4or2
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 3:50 PM

we had the butcher do it.. Neither my or my husband had ever done this before and we just asked for a variety... so that is what we got!! I've never even heard of some of the stuff... SO you name I have it!

dustinsmom1
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Quoting mommy4or2:

we had the butcher do it.. Neither my or my husband had ever done this before and we just asked for a variety... so that is what we got!! I've never even heard of some of the stuff... SO you name I have it!

If you have particular cuts of meat you'd like some help w/ let me know. Between my personal collections of recipes and the "net" we ought to be able to come up w/ something different! :)

dustinsmom1
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Quoting mommy4or2:

Thanks everyone.... I do have a crockpot but I guess where I get confused is what to put in it with the meat to make it different from each meal. I always put the same seasonings, but I guess from what I got from you all is that almost anything will do! Thanks alot for the ideas!

I get bored w/ the crock pot too sometimes. I find I'm always using carrots and potatoes, celery and onion. For spices its always the salt/pepper/garlic combo. Its easy to feel like your in a rut. I have an awesome (and easy) chicken Marsala recipe that is very easy and would probably work well on a lean pork/beef cut if you'd like it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)