Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Black Beans

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:29 PM
  • 9 Replies

I was just curious what everyone does with black beans? Does anyone have their own version of cooking them?

Amber (13)        Jazmine (10)        Tasia (4)              Tyrell (34) & Kelly (29)

(An Angel's Kiss)

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mamaoftwins9197
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:31 PM

I don't typically cook them at home, but I have used them to make "Mile High Salsa Pie", the recipe for which is on the back of the Old El Paso Soft Taco Bake box.  The recipes calls for kidney beans, but I prefer black beans.  I also use them in build your own burritos sometimes instead of refriend beans.  You can use them in pretty much all Mexican cooking.  California Tortilla does a really good black bean and veggie quesadilla, which I'm sure you could do at home.  Sauteed peppers (whatever color you like), onion, zucchini, black beans, and cheese....YUMMY.

Group Owner-NarAnon Moms-www.cafemom.com/group/28555-families of drug addicts

Group Owner-TMI Questions-www.cafemom.com/group/91045-embarassing Q & A

Group Owner-DRADA, Depression and Related Affective Disorders-www.cafemom.com/group/52557

Group Owner-Cheap and Easy KID FRIENDLY recipes-www.cafemom.com/group/88827

my3babes
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 1:08 AM

I don't use them much but when I do I use black beans in chili & dips.

jitterbuug48
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 11:16 AM

I make black  bean and corn quesadillas, YUM!!!!! and my kids actually like them too. Just sprinkle shredded cheese, black beans and corn on half of a tortilla, fold it over and heat in a skillet on med. heat until cheese melts.  cut into 3-4 triangles and serve with sour cream and/or salsa for dipping.

- Cat

AnAnelsKiss
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Does any one cook them from scratch? I have made some before I soaked them over night then put them in water to boil and some crushed red peppers and bacon. Does anyone else make them?

Amber (13)        Jazmine (10)        Tasia (4)              Tyrell (34) & Kelly (29)

(An Angel's Kiss)

Avrille
by on Feb. 2, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Quoting AnAnelsKiss:

Does any one cook them from scratch? I have made some before I soaked them over night then put them in water to boil and some crushed red peppers and bacon. Does anyone else make them?

I was just redirected to this thread from a CM search when I typed 'black beans'.

I'm cooking rhem right now, well, I don't know what will turn out, but I need a good source of iron & black beans are the best (according to healthy nutrition sources that is) I soaked them overnight, now cooking, then will put some onions, garlic, peppers & tomatoes, sorta like a chilli but not exactly of course, just trying to figure out what to do with them.

It was a while ago I stumbled across a recipe of black beans brownies in Google! I didn't copy the recipe though cause I don't eat chocolate. But maybe I should dig it up & see I can make 'chocolate free' black bean brownies. lol...

AnAnelsKiss
by on Feb. 4, 2009 at 3:52 PM

hhhmmmm black beans in brownies sounds different. It sure would create a different texture.

Quoting Avrille:

Quoting AnAnelsKiss:

I was just redirected to this thread from a CM search when I typed 'black beans'.

I'm cooking rhem right now, well, I don't know what will turn out, but I need a good source of iron & black beans are the best (according to healthy nutrition sources that is) I soaked them overnight, now cooking, then will put some onions, garlic, peppers & tomatoes, sorta like a chilli but not exactly of course, just trying to figure out what to do with them.

It was a while ago I stumbled across a recipe of black beans brownies in Google! I didn't copy the recipe though cause I don't eat chocolate. But maybe I should dig it up & see I can make 'chocolate free' black bean brownies. lol...

(An Angel's Kiss)

AnAnelsKiss
by on Feb. 10, 2009 at 8:43 PM

I did tonight where I browned hamburger meat and mixed it with cream of mushroom soup placed the mixture in casserole pan and topped it with a layer of black beans then topped that with a layer of cheese and baking it I will chrush some tortilla chips and 15 min before done top it with the tortilla chips then finish baking.

(An Angel's Kiss)

Wyndi
by on Feb. 12, 2009 at 10:07 PM

I soak them overnight, rinse. then I cook them in beef broth with crushed chili flakes, lots of minced garlic and some finely diced onions. MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

http://www.cafemom.com/group/PushMe  come here for your motivational needs

http://www.cafemom.com/group/BluntConfessions the place to be, the place to confess all your darkest secrets
http://www.cafemom.com/group/notsoperfect  so your not a perfect parent, who is? come and join us
http://www.cafemom.com/group/The5Fs Lets let down our hair and have some fun and foolishness. 

AnAnelsKiss
by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Thank you I will try that

Quoting Wyndi:

I soak them overnight, rinse. then I cook them in beef broth with crushed chili flakes, lots of minced garlic and some finely diced onions. MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

(An Angel's Kiss)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)