Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looking for cornbread recipe

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 12:45 AM
  • 5 Replies

Hello all,

my name is Heather and i'm new to the group. I was looking for a recipe for cornbread. i've NEVER made it before so i need something thats good but not real hard. lol.   Thanks so much!!

Heather

by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 12:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
my3babes
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 1:54 AM

I think the way i make it is probably the easiest way there is. I don't measure any of this but i'll give you an estimate

2 cups of cornmeal..(I use yellow)
1/2 cup flour
1 egg
water or milk...(enough to bind)
2 tbs. butter..(melted)

Preheat oven 350 degrees. Beat the egg, add to cornmeal & flour, then just keep adding alittle bit of water or milk at a time until it's combined well. Pour into greased baking pan. Melt the butter pour & spread on top. Bake 20-25 mins.

shaecastle
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Quoting my3babes:

I think the way i make it is probably the easiest way there is. I don't measure any of this but i'll give you an estimate

2 cups of cornmeal..(I use yellow)
1/2 cup flour
1 egg
water or milk...(enough to bind)
2 tbs. butter..(melted)

Preheat oven 350 degrees. Beat the egg, add to cornmeal & flour, then just keep adding alittle bit of water or milk at a time until it's combined well. Pour into greased baking pan. Melt the butter pour & spread on top. Bake 20-25 mins.

Same recipe here except I always use milk.

puppieluv
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:30 PM

This authentic, old timey corn bread from ELAM's is the best you'll ever bake.  Served with corn syrup and lots of melted butter.  It's a treat you will long remember.

INGREDIENTS:

2  cups Stone ground yellow corn meal

2 tsps. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. salt

1 egg, slightly beated

1 cup buttermilk

1/4 cup shortening or cooking oil

Combine first four ingredients in bowl; mix well.  Add buttermilk, egg and oil or melted shortening.  Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened; do not beat.  Pour into well greased 8 ince square gaking pan dusted with corn meal.  Bake in hot oven, 425 degrees, 20 minutes or until a light golden brown.  Makes 16 , 2 inch squares.

Variation:  Fill well greased medium muffin cups 2/3 full.  Reduce baking time to 12-15 minutes or until light golden brown.  Makes 12 muffins.

For more great meals please join me at:  http://www.cafemom.com/group/slowcookinmoms

lcbinpc
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 2:38 PM

This is what we do-and we make cornbread about twice a week. lol

1 egg, 1 1/2 cup milk, 2 cups self rising corn meal-we use the aunt jemima brand.

Set oven to 425 and put a spoonful of shortening into a cast iron skillet, about an 8 or 9 inch one. Put skillet in oven to melt shortening. While that's getting hot, beat the egg, add milk and stir then add the corn meal and mix. When the shortening is melted take skillet out of oven and pour about half of the melted shortening into the cornmeal mixture and stir. Then pour the corn bread mix into the skillet and cook, about 20-30 minutes. I don't have an exact time-I just check it periodically until it's browned.

Remove from oven and let sit for about 5 minutes. Then cut and serve.

JonJon
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Easiest recipe ever - 1 C. cornmeal, 1 C. flour, 1 egg, 1 C. milk, 1 T. baking powder, 1 t. salt.

Mix all ingredients.  If too thick add a little milk at a time to make it smoother.  Pour into an 8" cast iron skillet that's been coated on the bottom with cooking oil and warming in a 350 degree oven.  Leave the skillet on the rack; just pull out the rack.  Bake for 20-25 mins.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)