Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meatloaf HELP!

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 11:01 AM
  • 9 Replies

My mom used to make an awesome meatloaf and I have just been craving it. She made it with rice inside and the ketchup was cooked on top but I dont know how to make it!!!! I am wondering if anyone has any good meatloaf recipes that arent too complicated (im not too good at cooking lol) and simple. Thanks!!!!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

pregnancy
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
coreysbaby
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 11:05 AM

This is my mils recipe that my hubby loves... 

2 lb. hmburger meat
2 eggs
1 cup italian croutons crushed
1/2 cup tomato sauce with basil onion and peppers or ragu spagetti sauce
1 large onion (chopped)
1 pkg. sliced mushrooms
1 bell pepper (chopped)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese

Mix meat, eggs, croutons and dry parmesan cheese-set aside.
On low heat, cook onion, pepper and mushrooms until onion is clear.  I usually cook this in about 1 tablespoon of olive oil or butter.Add just a little garlic or garlic salt to taste.

Drain onion mixture and combine it with meat - form a loaf and put it on a greased cookie sheet or shallow baking pan and cook at 350 for about 30 minutes.  Drain fat/ pour about 1 cup of sauce over top and cover with shredded cheddar or italian cheese.  Turn down oven to 250 and cook for another 20-30 minutes. 

JaynaMarie
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 11:45 AM

I don't really have a written recipe but this is generally what I put in mine...

1 chopped onion

2 pieces of bread finely chopped

1 egg

1 tbsp mustard

Usually a little salt and pepper and a garlic clove

Once I make it I mound it on an open baking sheet because everyone in my house likes the crusty outside and this makes more of that than using a bread pan.  Then I use my hands to coat the outside in ketchup.  Then I bake for about an hour on 350.

ncmommyof3
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 11:47 AM

The most simple thing I do is mix hamburger with a packet of lipton onion soup mix, one egg, and a half a jar of salsa mix it together and bake with ketchup on top. Comes out yummy and is so very easy.

Visit my blogs daily! http://motheringthree.today.com/  and http://motheringmadesimple.today.com/ 

"It's not just a physical attraction, I love him for every single thing he is. Every word he says, every step he takes. This is something that will never die."

betsystipo
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 11:49 AM
I use the envelope of dry lipton onion soup mix - the recipe is on the box BUT instead of breadcrumbs we use oatmeal (plain old oatmeal). It keeps it moister and is better for you than breadcrumbs! My hubby loves it!
avpriddis
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 11:54 AM

You can also substitute dy stuffing mix for the bread crumbs.  My hubbys favorite way.  Put the ketchup on the last five minutes of cooking.

puppieluv
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 12:38 PM

In 1916  Campbell's published "Help for the hostess," the first ccokbook to use canned soup as an ingredient.  This succulent meat loaf made it's debut in the first edition and going strong ever since.

1  10 3/4 oz can Condensed Cream of Mushroom or Golden Mushroom soup

1 1/2 lbs ground beef

1/2 lbs Italian spicy or mild sausage

1/2 dry plain or Italian bread crumbs

1 egg, slightly beaten

1/3 cup finely chopped onion

Salt & pepper to taste

1/3 cup water or beef broth

Mix thoroughly 1/2 cup soupp, beef, breadcrums, egg, onion,and salt.  Shape firmly in loaf pan.  Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour, 15 minutes.  In saucepan blend remaining soup, brothand 2-3 Tbls. drippings.  Heat and serve with loaf.  Makes 6-8 servings.

You may top this off 10 minutes before baking is completed with ketchup or chili sauce mixed with 1 tsp. horseradish sauce for a snappier flavor.

For more great recipes please visit me at: http://www.cafemom.com/group/slowcookinmoms

JonJon
by on Feb. 5, 2009 at 6:36 PM

I was going to add my easy recipe for meatloaf but there are a couple here that are easier.  All the recipes sound delicious.

I like the ketchup cooked on top and caramelized so I make a uniform well all across the top of the meatloaf and flood it with ketchup doctored with a little brown sugar and hot sauce and let it flow down the sides.  I, too, like the crust so I bake in a shallow dish with plenty of room all around the mealoaf at 350 for 50-55 mins (for two lbs. meat).  Let it rest for five mins. before slicing.

SophiaofLight
by on Feb. 7, 2009 at 8:06 AM

Rice Meatloaf - Uncle Ben Ingredients

3/4 lb Lean ground beef 2 Eggs; slightly beaten
3/4 lb Lean ground pork 1/2 ts Salt
1/2 c Converted rice; raw 1/2 ts Dry mustard
1/2 c Milk 1/4 ts Dried marjoram
1/4 c Onion; minced 1/4 ts Dried thyme
2 tb Ketchup 1/4 ts Pepper
1 tb Worcestershire sauce

Instructions for Rice Meatloaf - Uncle Ben

In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together until well blended. Pack into a 9x5 (2L) loaf pan, cover with foil, and bake at 350F 180C for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hrs (removing foil after 30 mins), or until loaf is well-browned and meat is cooked through with an internal temperature of 106F 70C. Even when cooked through, meat will still be slightly pink because of the ketchup. Drain off fat, and let the meatloaf rest for 5 minutes before slicing to serve.

AnAnelsKiss
by on Feb. 8, 2009 at 3:37 PM

You might want to search meatloaf for more recipes since I know I have answered this to another post. What I do is take the ground beef and mix in lipton soup and stove top cornbread stuffing and Sweet Baby Rays B-B-Q sauce and an egg mix it all together I squish it all into a bread pan and add more B-B-Q sauce on top. Then bake it till hamburger is done in center. Dump out the greese if any depending on the quality ground beef used and serve with mashed potatoes. I use sour cream in my mashed potatoes instead of milk.

Amber (13)        Jazmine (10)        Tasia (4)              Tyrell (34) & Kelly (29)

(An Angel's Kiss)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)