Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recipes using hot dogs???

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:42 AM
  • 30 Replies

We had a barbecue and I have lots of hot dogs left over. Does anyone have any recipes for hot dogs? I would like to use them up before they go bad but how many grilled hot dogs can one family eat?

Thanks ladies!

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cindy18
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 2:05 PM

All I can think of is hot dogs and mac & cheese or hot dogs and pork & beans. I wonder if you could put cheese and bacon on them and warm them up in the oven.

Cindy

Ksant
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I probably should mention that the hot dogs are un cooked but since they have been thawed I didn't think it would be safe to re-freeze them. 

I was thinking casseroles or something. When I was a kid my brother had something called hot dog soup at a friends house, anyone heard of that??

Cindy18
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:51 PM

I thought they were already grilled! I made hot dog soup once but it was more of a winter soup with lots of root vegetables. Let's see if I can find it.

*Ok, I went to Cooks.com and found 2 Hot Dog Soup recipes that sound a little better than the one I made. I posted them in the next reply. I also put in Hot Dog casserole and 10 pages of recipes came up so I thought I would leave it up to you to sort through ones that your family might like. Good Luck!!

Cindy

Cindy18
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 5:56 PM
HOT DOG SOUP  

1/2 lb. hot dogs, cut in rings
2 tbsp. butter
1 c. thinly diced celery
1/2 c. chopped onions
2 cans condensed bean with bacon soup
3 1/2 cans water
1 c. uncooked elbow macaroni
1 med. potato, diced
1/2 c. ketchup

In a large saucepan, brown hot dogs in butter. Add celery and onion. Cook until tender; stir in soup, water, macaroni, potato and ketchup. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until macaroni is done.

HOT DOG SOUP  

4 hot dogs, sliced
1 can mixed vegetables, drained
1 can cream of potato soup
1 c. milk

Mix everything in kettle; heat on low until hot. Serve with crackers and your favorite sandwich.

Cindy

MomtoDuck
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 6:17 PM

http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.aspx?WithTerm=hot+dog&SearchIn=All

Found these! Not sure how good they are, but I think people who review on allrecipes.com are pretty accurate.

tscritch
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Our family loves currant jelly hotdogs, and they are really easy to make. All you need is currant jelly (found in the jelly isle) and hotdogs. Cut up the hotdogs to bite size, put them and the currant jelly in a crock pot, cook for a couple of hours until they are done like you like them and eat! Yummy!

bigblueeyes
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 6:41 PM

when i did home daycare quite a few years back....i would wrap a hot dog in a flour tortilla and put cheese in it (american or cheddar).....microwave til the cheese melted and the hot dog was hot.....the kids really liked them

autpett03
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 10:11 AM

Go to the store and get the refridgerated pizza crust, hormel no bean chili, onion, and shredded cheese. Cut the pizza dough into enough pieces for the amount of hot dogs you want to make and wrap them up like pigs in a blanket. Bake according to the package of the dough. You can put the chili in with the dough and cheese on top or you can wait till they are done baking and add the chili and cheese after (if you do that then cook the chili on the stove top). Add the onions with the chili if you like onions. My family loves this. Even my 2 year old will eat it and she's a really picky eater.

Sarina8895
by on Jul. 16, 2009 at 5:46 PM

well my father buys my daughter tons of angus beef hot dogs... and i dont have the heart to tell him that she has really grown out of the hot dog phase so i have two recipes both my husband, my daughter and I love... First you can take a hot dog and  heat it up in the microwave or grill (however you choose) and put a slice in the middle of it. fold up a piece of american cheese and put in the slice you made after its cooked. Take a slice of bacon (cooked, eitther regular bacon or already cooked bacon is fine) and wrap it around the hot dog.. The cheese will melt from the heat of the hot dog. My daughter eats it cut up in pieces and my husband with a piece of white bread, simple but delicious. Also a quick snack i make is using those pre-made crescent rolls and wrap them around a raw hot dog. I put a little melted butter over the rolls and put them in the oven for the same time directed on the crescent rolls container. They are delicious... for breakfast sometimes i cut up raw hot dogs and saute them with a few onions and then add scrambled eggs to them... Toss them all together and we eat them with toast or browned tortillas... (my husband is spanish and they use hot dogs for breakfast all the time...)

brpainter
by on Sep. 3, 2009 at 1:12 AM

I have two hotdog meals that I love!

First, I split the hotdog, smear with mashed potatoes and top with  cheese. Thow it in the oven and cook until the hotdogs are done! Meanwhile, pop a can of baked beans in the microwave. I usually eat them separate, by my DH loves to just pour his bb right on top of the hotdog!

Second is one of my comfort foods! Buy the refridgerated popcan biscuits. You will open them up and mold each biscuit into a cup in a muffin tin (line the cup of the tin with the dough) Then in a bowl mix cut up hotdogs, a can of pork & beans, 1/2 cup BBQ sauce. Then spoon the mixture into your cups and top with cheese. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until the biscuits are golden brown! SO yummy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)