Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think you should let your Dr choose?

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2011 at 10:23 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 159 Total Views

WEll I was at the Dr's doing my postpartum check up and we got into the lovely topic of birth control. I told her that I wanted to get the three month shot, she is insisting that I get the minerva, and for those that don't know what that is it's a small implant that is placed within the vagina walls to block sperm, effects can be good for up to five years...however there has been associated risk such as fibroid tumors, pid disease, and other abnormalities, I told her I didn't feel this was the right choice for me but she is ever so persistent that I go with this method and refused to give me the shot, she told me to come back in three weeks, so now i have no birth control in place except condoms which I am not a fan of, here is the question who do you think is right? All replies will be appreciated

by on Jan. 17, 2011 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bailey_rc
by Member on Jan. 17, 2011 at 10:36 AM

I love my mirena... but no i wouldn't let the dr choose

MAFIAMAMI
by Member on Jan. 17, 2011 at 6:07 PM

i heard that causes pain? thoughts

bailey_rc
by Member on Jan. 17, 2011 at 6:16 PM

yes in hurt a little going in, I did spot for almost 3 weeks but wasn't bad. I have had it for a year and am now period free. but its not for everyone

Quoting MAFIAMAMI:

i heard that causes pain? thoughts

RachelleNH
by Member on Jan. 18, 2011 at 12:09 PM

I stay away from depo and mirena and most of them now..you see those creepy ads on tv..I'd say go with the traditional ortho tricyclene...I wouldn't let her push you into something you don't feel comfortable with.

momma2rhylee
by on Jan. 19, 2011 at 12:39 AM

No dr has the right to choose. They should give the facts but that's it.

Angellinda
by Member on Jan. 20, 2011 at 10:24 AM

I'd say its your body. Do your best research and find what's right for you!!  Do what is best for your health! After going through Triple Negative Breast Cancer.. I want no one to go through this or anything like it! Best of Luck in your choice.

kittymeri
by on Jan. 28, 2011 at 3:45 PM

find a new doctor and get the shot if that's what you know you want for yourself; and never go back to her. it is not her decision which choice you make, only her responsibility to make sure you remain healthy through whatever choice you make.

EDIT::

In my own personal expierence, the only downside the shot had for me was when I came off of it my body was very confused with no period for about 6 months, then random periods for about 3 months after that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)