Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Possible eviction if landlord is a coldhearted man?

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2009 at 4:52 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 118 Total Views

We have lived in our duplex 2 months . We paid our first rent on time but had trouble with paying the deposit he wanted but he took half the deposit anyhow. DIdn't think that was a problem. Well then we found out that we wouldn't be able to afford the entire months rent this month until hubby's unemployment checks came ( 4 week waiting list finally post and sent out the 8th) so we called and was trying to explain to landlord that we could give him half now and then when the checks came in the mail we would give him the rest he wasn't thrilled but he said as long as we had the money by the weekend he wouldn't evict us . So now it's Saturday and we went to get the mail and the checks have yet to come still we called landlord and told him no checks yet but they ARE coming we can print out the unemployement statement from online to prove that we DO have the money it's just not here because of the SLOW MAIL . He told us that Monday would be fine that's all nothing else. Now my hubby is thinking he is going to be a d*ck about it and evict us come Monday if we still don't have the checks which we better have them they were sent out the 8th !!! If we dont get them I dont know what to do I am pregnant due in  a month and we have a 2.5 year old . We have NO family to move in with since all of the family live in small houses and have no room for  themselves let along 4 others !!

WOuld he be that coldhearted to evict us since we HAVE the money we just don't have it to give to him since we are waiting for the mail to come ????????? We have proof, we aren't trying to pull anything . This wasn't planned at all moving , then having hubby lose his job . We are trying to survive do what we can it's just nothing is going like it should at all right now . So far the only thing is that we got on WIC and that helps out some with groceries but not much.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Sep. 12, 2009 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
momofsixangels
by on Sep. 12, 2009 at 6:44 PM

I'm sorry.From what I was told when you have kids especially that they have to give you a 30 day notice before they can evict you.

momma2rhylee
by on Sep. 12, 2009 at 8:40 PM

In all states they have to give you 30 days if there is NO reason to evict you. However for non payment I know in my state they can give a 3 day notice but then they have to go actually have the sheriff serve a 3 day eviction notice. This takes at least a week but it is a pay by the end of the eviction period or leave notice so as long as you pay then you should be fine. And most landlords don't evict you unless you are at least 2 months behind.

baby1love
by on Sep. 13, 2009 at 12:28 PM

We are only 2 days late with rent because we are waiting for the checks in the mail. We also plan to pay the late fees as well !

Quoting momma2rhylee:

In all states they have to give you 30 days if there is NO reason to evict you. However for non payment I know in my state they can give a 3 day notice but then they have to go actually have the sheriff serve a 3 day eviction notice. This takes at least a week but it is a pay by the end of the eviction period or leave notice so as long as you pay then you should be fine. And most landlords don't evict you unless you are at least 2 months behind.

CafeMom Tickers

jenke
by Group Owner on Oct. 27, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Was wondering how you are doing if everything is ok?  Hope it is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)