Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question of the Week, July 3

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 1:57 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 279 Total Views

What other names did you consider when naming your babies? What made you nix those choices? Would you use them for future babies??

by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Blue_Spiral
by Kaela on Jul. 4, 2012 at 8:05 AM

I like really unique names, the more unheard of (yet, real historical names) the better.

My ex liked really boring, common names and he also really wanted to use family names.

My name ideas for boys were:

Cadwr and Tadhg

For girls:

Hespera, Thistle or Goleydith

He wanted Steven, Johnathon Jr., Mason (after his uncle), and his girl names, I later found out, were all ex-girlfriend's names.

Together we settled on Jack or Jackson Nicholas or Jackson Dracon for a boy (I am insanely glad we found Wolfgang instead!) I wanted Jackland so it was more unique but we could still call him Jack.

We agreed on the name Hespera Thyme for a girl, but didn't get to use it, obviously. 

I do plan to name a future girl Hespera, but I probably won't name a boy Cadwr or Tadhg anymore.

I am Kaela, a proud 24 year old atheist, pro-choice, single Mama to full-term breastfed, co-sleeping, freebirthed, intact, lucky little Wolfgang!

mj.bullion
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 2:55 PM

We dabled through a bunch of names. I can't actually remember the names we had thought of. I changed the name like every other day becuase I couldn't settle on a boy name I liked! LOL I think at one point I considered Aiden. But that was nixed very quickly. I just didn't like it as much as I thought.

muse76
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:17 AM
For Hudson, we considered Ian or Nicholas. I finally convinced my husband to use Hudson, and I'm soooo glad because I would not use either of the other names anymore.

With Sullivan, we considered Harrison and Jude. We thought Harrison was too similar to Hudson, though, so we just shortened it to Harris and made it his middle name. And we didn't want my mil to think Jude was for her, haha (her name is Judith), so we nixed that at the last minute. Now, we couldn't imagine Sully being anything other than Sully/Sullivan.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muse76
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:25 AM
Oh, we probably would have used Madelyn Suzanne (Suzanne is my bff) or Chloe Madelyn if Hudson had been a girl. I still think they're all cute names, but they're too common except for Suzanne.

If Sullivan had been a girl, we had decided on the name Hollis Blythe. We still love the name ALMOST enough to try for a girl ... but not quite :) We actually would want another boy if we had a third baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RoseSiO2
by Group Admin on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:24 AM

For Audrey we went to the hospital with a list including...
Chloe, Meredith, Miriam, Camille and of course Audrey.
All of them were in the running but she just looked like Audrey.  If she ended up a boy by a fluke she would have been Dane.

when we got pregnant a second time we considered all the names on the list exceot for Chloe.  I am glad we didn't use that one, because of the popularity, which was a factor even when it was on the list.  I liked it, but had concerns.

With Artem we only had 3 names
Soren (a family name)
Pierce and Artem
He came very close to being Pierce.  But that was due to being swayed against Artem by family members more than anything else.  That and our 2 year old daughter like Pierce.  I would still consider both Pierce and Soren for names.  Funny thing was Dane was not on the list when we had our son.

I am trying to remeber other names before the final.  I remember Fletcher (just didn't stick) and many names we liked but family members had used them like Seth and Owen and Caleb

The biggest issue we have was really trying to see if we could find a name that would stand on its own, because our poor little man is going to carry around a very long and cumbersome last name, so we wanted a stand alone name like my husband had wehn he was growing up (yes he had the same long cumbersome hyphenated name).

If for some reason we got pregnant (which is highly unlikely) I would consider Meredith (nn Mae) and Jane for a girl.  For boys I like Soren and Thayer and Zev.

AmiJanell
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 8:53 PM

With our son, we only really ever considered his name... Dawson.  We of coarse talked about a few other names, but nothing that we ever got serious about.   Had he been a girl, his name would have probably been Marie Genevieve.

This time around for our daughter, we didn't consider ANY of the girls names we had talked about the first time. We had talked a little bit about the name Vada... but it didn't feel right.  We will be naming her Elsa.  If she happens to come out a HE... I think we have agreed that his name would be August.

la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 12:39 AM

My oldest was almost Logan and Jaden, I do not like those names any longer.

We almost used the name Braylin, I'm glad we didn't. I prefer classic names over modern names now.

We also  considered the name Adria and I still find the name lovely!

Names I never got to use that was on our lists......

Girls : Isla, Aria, Sophia, Gemma, Daphne, Nora

Boys: Stellen, Eben, Henry, Everest, Lincoln, Kingston

NeOnPrInCeSs3
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 11:22 AM

For Elijah, we had considered Dakotah Jay and I mentioned the name Elijah to his dad and he loved it.

For Noah, we had considered Charles Edward Jr., but I didnt want a Jr so we decided to stick with the biblical theme.

For Morghen, her daddy wanted to name her Ja'Qualah Diamond and I was okay with it until we split apart and then I had considered Morghen only.

Lapis_Lazuli
by Andie- Head Admin on Jul. 9, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Emerald: we considered Irish, Tula, Katie Lynn, Levi, and Winifred. All of them, someone I knew said something jerky about it and I felt too unsure to use it; except Katie. I didn't want Katie to be her formal name but my husband leaned toward Katherine or Kate or Katelyn, while I prefered Kathleen, Katia, or Katana. We couldn't agree on a formal, so...Emerald! 

If she had been a boy, she would have been Benjamin Reilly. 

Gabriel: The final names in the running were Gabriel, Alexander, and Dylan. My husband got to pick, and he said that he just looked like a Gaby Baby.

I have zero idea what he would have been if he was a girl, but Michael liked River, Myka, Clementine, Eve, and Aeris. 

Benjamin: He was always going to be Benjamin Reilly, if he was a boy. If he was a girl, he would have been Gwendolyn Fern.

As for future babies? Girls: Gwendolyn Fern, Winifred Barbara. Boys: Samuel Kieran, Leander Hawthorne.

Meggie-May
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Oh fun question! :)

Maddox James.... he was almost Chandler James. haha. --my husband just happened to find the name Maddox in a baby book.. otherwise, he would have been Chandler.  If he were a girl, I was dead set on Mackenzie Jane & I would have called her Mac or Z, for short.

Kingston Edward... his name was planned basically from the time Maddox was born, because I LOVED the name Kingston so much... in fact, the first time I looked at Maddox, the name Kingston popped into my head & I wanted to change my mind.  But my DH said, "the next one will be Kingston".  ha.. HOWEVER, 2 weeks before King was born -we almost switched his name to Cash or Gunner.. THANK GOD we didn't!  If he were a girl, he would have been Brooklyn Olivia.  

Paris Abigail....  There were so many possibilities for her.  Hadley. Lily. Sophie (my #1 choice). Victoria. Brooklyn (but by this point, Brooklyn was becoming so popular). Poppy (which we loved, but thought everyone else would hate). But my DH and I could not agree on ANYTHING.  

And then we realized, the name that kept coming up again and again was Paris. I didn't want to name her that because of Paris Hilton, but it was the one name that seemed to fit what I pictured in my head for my daughter.  It was feminine without being too frilly. It's vintage AND modern. I picture "Paris" and I picture hearts & history, design, romance. It's also a boys name, so she could wear this pretty little name and be girly ...or a tomboy.  It just fit. People hated it or loved it. I was pushing for Paris Kate, but my SIL informed me it sounded like Pair of Skates. And it does!  So, I wanted Paris Tiffany, but DH hated it.  Paris Joy was oml. But in end, we went with Paris Abigail, because Abigail was my DH's favorite girls name at the time & it means "father's joy" and she was born on Father's Day. :)

Oh.. future babies... IDK!  Ha. I really don't. 

~Meg
SAHM to three amazing kids: Maddox, Kingston, & Paris
{& wife to one awesome, hard-working man}

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)