Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question of the Week: Compromise

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 6:09 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 237 Total Views

Did you and your spouse see eye-to-eye on baby names? Or did you have totally different taste? Was it easy or hard to find a name you both loved?

How did you reach a compromise; who chose or suggested the name you decided to use?   

by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 6:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmiJanell
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 6:44 PM

With our son we saw eye to eye right away for his name..... but it was a good thing he was a boy, because we never found anything we loved for a girl.

This time we were on totally different pages when it came to names....  I'm shocked that we found a name!  One day I asked him what names he would choose if it were up to him... and he liked the name Elsa... not a name I had ever considered before.... but I thought about it more and it grew on me... and that is her name.  It's everything I wanted in a name... it's not common or trendy, it's simple and feminine. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers

Summerlion1123
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 7:27 PM
I came up with both names. We agreed on our sons name. This time we agree, just he loves the name we came up with and doesn't want to consider others. I really like the name but don't feel as sold on it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vashtiruescode3
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 7:17 PM

We've always had a boys name picked out, but I made him compromise on the middle name if this baby is a boy.

For girls names, it's always been a battle. We finally found one we both agree on, but I'm starting to dislike it now. We will see, we will see.

DH and I have very different tastes. He's a boring name kind of person, and I'm a unique-ish, not heard a lot name kind of person.

IloveNix
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 6:45 PM
I always suggest and he says "yes or no"!

We have both loved all of our kids names!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mum2twingirls
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 7:58 PM
With twins not sure how much compromising was going on. We agreed and nailed down middle names, b/b & b/g twins but g/g was harder and we have g/g twins. In the end we agreed after many shoot downs from hubs and no input other then no! In the end we have Rhiannon Nora and Carys Ann

With my youngest yes we did compromise. Neither wanted our 1st choice mine Piper his Sara. Our 2nd choices mine Brighid and his Bridget. With Mary or Sidney for the middle ... So I agreed to Bridget if I got to pick the middle ... I picked Mary.
We have Bridget Mary

Also my husband brahs about naming to Bridget too ... Its too funny. Like he had that of a say (silly Daddy) lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Blue_Spiral
by Kaela on Aug. 16, 2012 at 6:01 AM

Totally different.

His main priority was using a family name and he liked plain names.

He wasn't very picky about female names, though, so if we'd had a girl I would have gotten to name her whatever I wanted.

Luckily we compromised pretty well with our son and I didn't have to give him the name of some family member I didn't even know if I liked or not.

SarahBethK
by Group Owner on Aug. 25, 2012 at 5:41 PM

With our son there was really not much question except would it be Spencer Colten or Colten Spencer. With our daughter I got to decide between Peyton Jill or Peyton Jillian.

Lapis_Lazuli
by Andie- Head Admin on Aug. 26, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Michael tends to have more conservative taste in names, which means we had more trouble picking out girl names (I like literary and artistic and distinctive) but agreed easily on boy names (I like the traditional, biblical choices). We both agreed on family middlen names.  

Emerald, he suggested Sophia Gwen, Logan Lynn, and Katie Lynn; I liked Tula Lynn, Irish Lynn, and Levi Lynn. We went back and forth all the way up to the end, where he suggested Emma and I volleyed back with Emerald. It took us one day to decide between Katie Lynn and Emerald Renae. 

With the boys, I had mentioned both at some point but Michael picked Gabriel Lynn and Benjamin Reilly.

For future kids, Michael picked Gwendolyn Fern for a girl, Samuel (-middle name undecided-) for a boy. 

NeOnPrInCeSs3
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:15 PM

With my boys dad we never seen eye to eye on names until I suggested biblical names. We have different taste in names. It was hard to find names but then finally i suggested first names and he chose middle names.

Elijah Nathaniel-I chose Elijah and he chose Nathaniel

Noah Matthew-I chose Noah and he chose Matthew

With my daughters dad we went through different names but had same taste in names but in the end I chose her whole name.

Morghen Alexandria

Meggie-May
by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 4:21 PM

For the most part my DH and I like the same type of names ---except I have this streak in me that absolutely ADORES "old lady" & old man names & he does not. lol

For the boys, naming was so fun & easy, painless.  

For our little girl, it was RIDICULOUS.  

In the end -naming her Paris Abigail was a compromise.  I fought for a TON of different names (I fought hardest for the names Sophie or Tallulah) ... But at some point, my DH wouldn't change his mind on Paris (a name that I originally brought up) & since she was born on Father's Day, I let him have Abigail -which I love either way. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)