Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Unique place names

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:10 AM
  • 17 Replies
  • 556 Total Views

We all know the popular place names - London, Dallas, Phoenix, Brooklyn, etc.

But are there any you like that are inspired by smaller, less heard of places?

I was just remembering some friends I had as a kid. Their mother was Italian and she named her first two children (both girls) after her favorite Italian places.

Siena and Rimini

The names fit them so well and I thought it was great that they were so unique and had meaning for their mom. (Middle names were Jade and Ash, which, at the time, were very unusual also)

What do you think of those names and do you have any unusual place names to share?

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lapis_Lazuli
by Andie- Head Admin on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I like those :) 

A girl from my church is named Malawi, named for the place in Africa she was born while her parents were on a mission trip. And I went to school with an Asia. 

I like Denver, but it makes me think John Denver. Vienna would be nice if it weren't for the sausages.

I like: Venice, Carolina, Georgia, Florence, Geneva, Helena, Sisily, Virginia, Kent, Trenton, Washington, York, Abilene, Arizona, Berlin, Holland, Ireland, Kenya, and Memphis. 

Jersey was on our list when I was pregnant with my little girl :) 

Blue_Spiral
by Kaela on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Ah, I also love Holland!

My family is from there and their descendants here in the states live on Holland drive! :)

MaddieLainesMom
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:35 PM

I love place names actually. I think they're neat especially if the place means someting special. I like Jersey, Britton, Dallas, Lexington, Adelaide (love this Australian city), Kent, Trenton, Austin, Ireland, Israel, Jerusalem, Chandler, Rome, Tennesse, and that's all I can think of now!

Jerichosmommy
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:20 AM

I've thought a lot about Biblical place names, like Jericho, obviously :o) Damascus, Caanan and Israel. I do kind of like Ireland, as one of the names on my list is Irelyn. 

Blue_Spiral
by Kaela on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Quoting MaddieLainesMom:

I love place names actually. I think they're neat especially if the place means someting special. I like Jersey, Britton, Dallas, Lexington, Adelaide (love this Australian city), Kent, Trenton, Austin, Ireland, Israel, Jerusalem, Chandler, Rome, Tennesse, and that's all I can think of now!

For years I was set on Tennessee as my first boy's name.

I actually completely forget abou that idea when I discovered that my first child would indeed be a boy, but I still like the name.

It's not something I'd ever use now, but it is a great name IMO.

Lapis_Lazuli
by Andie- Head Admin on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Tennessee is fantastic! I forgot about that!!

AndysQueen
by on May. 12, 2013 at 3:05 PM
I used to work for a lady whose daughters were China and California (Cali). The two places she had lived in her life.

I also know siblings Georgia, Houston, and Charlotte.

I love Houston and Jersey.
Cruz-s-mommy
by on May. 12, 2013 at 9:03 PM
My DH is from Egypt, and we are thinking about naming DS2 Luxor, but we also like Orlando.

I don't remeber who, but I know that some celebrity named their son Egypt- I'm not really a fan of that name however.
Mom2HayTay
by on May. 12, 2013 at 11:38 PM
I think Cambria is pretty
Blue_Spiral
by Kaela on May. 12, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

My DH is from Egypt, and we are thinking about naming DS2 Luxor, but we also like Orlando.

I don't remeber who, but I know that some celebrity named their son Egypt- I'm not really a fan of that name however.

In church classes we learned about a woman named "Egyptus" which the name Egypt is supposed to have derived from. It's just mythology, but I always thought the name Egyptus was interesting...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN