Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Unique place names

Posted by   + Show Post

We all know the popular place names - London, Dallas, Phoenix, Brooklyn, etc.

But are there any you like that are inspired by smaller, less heard of places?

I was just remembering some friends I had as a kid. Their mother was Italian and she named her first two children (both girls) after her favorite Italian places.

Siena and Rimini

The names fit them so well and I thought it was great that they were so unique and had meaning for their mom. (Middle names were Jade and Ash, which, at the time, were very unusual also)

What do you think of those names and do you have any unusual place names to share?

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:10 AM
Replies (11-17):
Cruz-s-mommy
by on May. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Actually, it's true from what I've learned, but it's pronounced A-gyp-tos with a long A and hard G as oppossed to the soft G in Egypt.

I never heard/remembering hearing about any woman with that name though. I'll have to ask DH.

Quoting Blue_Spiral:

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

My DH is from Egypt, and we are thinking about naming DS2 Luxor, but we also like Orlando.

I don't remeber who, but I know that some celebrity named their son Egypt- I'm not really a fan of that name however.

In church classes we learned about a woman named "Egyptus" which the name Egypt is supposed to have derived from. It's just mythology, but I always thought the name Egyptus was interesting...

Vashtiruescode3
by on May. 14, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I know a lot of people with fun place names, Tennessee being one of the ladies I've met.

Ketchum is a name I've heard a couple of times. I grew up in/around Ketchum, Idaho, so I've always thought it's weird when I hear it on a human!

I've also met a little girl (and I know I've posted about her name before) who's dad was to pick a name he liked, as long as it had moms liking of Asia in it. Dad named the little girl Malasia.

la_bella_vita
by on May. 17, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I like Sienna, Vienna, Venice, Georgia, Ireland, Cambria

For boys: Kingston, Lincoln, Phoenix (but I would only use it as a middle name)

acb4415
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I like Acadia, Avery, Cecilia, Florence, Indiana, Italia, Lucca, Nova, Town, Sicilia, Sienna, Vienna, Verona

muse76
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:09 AM

I kinda like those :)

My favorite place names are:

Everest, Rainier, Phoenix, Breton, Lucca, Lincoln

Havana, Siena, Acadia, Berlin, Sutton, Astoria

Aeshaia
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I love the name Aspyn (From Aspen, Colorado)

MamaMoonlight
by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I love the names India and Sahara. I'm sure there are plenty more, but I can't think of them at the moment.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)