• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nickname help please!

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:16 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 481 Total Views
I recently realized that I don't call my son by his name, I call him Baby... All the time! Granted, he is only four months old so it's not super weird, but I feel bad! Does anyone else do that?

His name is Wren Hayven and I love his name (it's unique, it's androgynous, let's not hate on the name I gave him) but it doesn't seem to "fit" him yet. I think my biggest problem is that all my hillbilly relatives pronounce his name "ree-yen"... I hate the way they say it!

Does anybody have any ideas for nicknames, using either his first or middle or both names? I just can't come up with anything for them, but I'm hoping it can help me transition to his name.. Or maybe become a lifelong nickname.
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Blue_Spiral
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I think I'm pretty good at coming up with nicknames but I'm at a complete loss here lol.

Wrenny sounds like runny and Hay is what horses eat and....Ven? Venny? That just rhymes with Wren so I don't see how it would help the family member's pronunciation issue.

Ven is the best I can come up with lol. Like Venn diagram. I think Ven is actually pretty cool...

What about Hayvee, Havie, Hayvi....etc.? Hayvie baby sounds cute lol

tay1116
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:28 AM
Hayvie Baby is cute! And I know, I've been racking my brain since before he was even born and haven't come up with anything!
Lapis_Lazuli
by Andie- Head Admin on Nov. 24, 2014 at 6:10 PM

I almost always called my kids by a nickname--my husband said they were never going to learn their real names because I never used them!

Wren Hayven is a lovely name; I will say, from personal experience, the pronunciation that your family uses will eventually stop bothering you. My daughter is named Emerald, and everyone here in the south pronounces it Emeril, dropping the "d" all together. It bothered me at first, but after a while it just stops registering. 

Havie Baby is cute. I like that. 

Other nicknames...Wray, Ven, Raeven, Ayven, Avi, Wen, Wennie (like Winnie the Pooh), Wrenny, Dub (short for Double-U, W).

There is always nicknames based on the looks/personality of the baby, like Red, Rory, Jet, Ace, Bud, Buck, what have you. 

MagicMary
by on Dec. 2, 2014 at 10:48 AM

That is really tough. All I can really come up with is Wreny/Reny. It doesn't sound like 'runny' to me or bad in any way. Pretty obvious though but there isn't much options with such a short name. Bird or Birdie but that is more for girls, though it completely would work with a boy too.

Lenny could perhaps work as well.

Jerichosmommy
by on Jan. 1, 2015 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I called all my babies "baby" at least for the first 2 years. I would instersperse it with their reals names of course, and with other nicknames like Bubs, Tweetie-pie, Stinker... you know, those silly kind of nicknames. As they got older I would transition from Baby to their real names, and it would eventually stick. I think eventually Wren will start growing into his name if you call him by it enough, and it will fit him, don't stress too much :o) 

Jerichosmommy
by on Jan. 1, 2015 at 11:35 PM

Oh and another idea is to elongate his name, sometimes people give kids with one syllable names a longer nickname, like my niece's name is Ann, but she gets called Annabelle a lot. So you could try Wrenly, or Wrendle (lol) Wrenner, Wrenster.... just add a different ending to it. My youngest has a one syllable name and I always add the title Mr to his name to make it longer lol sometimes adding his middle name; Mr. Rand/ Mr. Rand Leander. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)