Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Share your baby name story!!

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2009 at 9:36 AM
  • 83 Replies
  • 4051 Total Views

Do you have a story behind your little ones name?  Maybe a fun story about how you and daddy picked the name?  Share your baby name stories here!

by on Oct. 7, 2009 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ProudSingleMum
by on Oct. 7, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Well, as soon as we found out we were preg. My (now ex) husband and I started talking about Names. I liked Alexander, but he said it was 'snotty' so he didn't want it as a first name, but it was okay for a middle name. I said, fine then, what name do YOU want. And he said "well I don't know. So he picked up a baby name book and said, we should see what it lands on if I just flip and point. So he did, and his finger landed on Caseus. We both liked it (amazingly), and since he wouldn't go with Alexander I said okay. The name was to be Caseus Alexander. Well, then he left, and I still liked Alexander. So I ended up picking his name. I named him Alexander Raymes. (which is my grandfather's names combined: RAY and jaMES)

SkkysMommy
by on Oct. 7, 2009 at 11:39 PM

Well. I was in the 9th grade when I picked out my daughters name. I seen this girl her name was Skye. I thought i was unique. I never seen it before. So when I got pregnant and I found out we was having a girl I told my Husband her name is Skky. I spelt it that way so it could be more unique. I know there is a liquior out there called Skyy but I didnt want my kids to be named after liquior so I spelt it Skky.

chaybaby2
by on Oct. 8, 2009 at 8:00 AM

With my son I was set on naming him Thaddeus John......until I got a hold of a baby name book. Then I started finding other names that I liked. I eventually got it down to 3. Angelo Juan-which is my mom's name and my dad's middle name, Walker Dallas-I like the name Walker and I asked my mom what would be a good middle name for it and my stepdad blurts out Texas Ranger and my mom decided Dallas, and then Gordon Elliott- Gordon is my mom's favorite driver and we decided to add Elliott for Bill Elliott. After I had it narrowed down to 3 I let my little brother who was 7 at the time and was like one of my kids because I raised him since he was 6 months old pick the name he liked. He picked Gordon Elliott. After my son was born my little brother went to school saying we have Jeff Gordon Elliott now.  My mom had to explain that it was Gordon Elliott and he was the new baby.

With my daughter I wanted to name her MyChayla Lynne and call her My Chay (pronounced My-Kay) but her dad didn't like it so we had to find another name and we had a really both liked Jacqueline and Josephine. So we put it together and her dad wanted to spell them both that way to have as many letters as possible in her name. Her last name had 8 letters in it. So all together her name would have 27 letter in it. I refused cause it would take her til she was in 5th grade before she could spell her whole name. So I shortened it to Jaqlynne Josephine. But then people kept saying that it would confuse her because of the rule that it's always QU so I added the U and had to add the E to make it look right. So we had it Jaquelynne Josephine and my mom said that she would call her JJ and I didn't like that cause I had a dog named JayJay and 2 cousins who were JJ's at one point or another. So I changed it to Jaquelynne Marie.

Chaybaby2

-----
Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/chaybaby2
MunchiesMom324
by on Oct. 8, 2009 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Baby number one - when I found out I was pregnant, I just started referring to the baby in my belly as "Alex"... way before we even found out the sex.  People asked me why... I dont know why, he named himself, and fits him so perfectly. Then people would ask "Well, what if its a girl?" My response was that it was NOT a girl (even though I really DIDNT know yet) but on the slim chance it was, her name would be Alexis... either way I would have my Alex... but I was positive he would be Alexander Thomas (which he is!!)

Baby number 2... my fiance's first child... DF is a "Jr.", wanted his first born to be "the third"... I dont think so.  Then he threw in "Draven Memphis"... uh no.  I like original names, timeless names.  I told him that I would not make him "Jesse William the Third", but I would keep the "JW" initials... we argued and fussed and argued some more - finally came up with Jacob Walker

Baby number 3... He wanted to do the "JW" thing again, but we couldn't agree... I like Jayson William, Jonathan Wade... he suggested Jebadiah Waylon.  What the f... was he smoking?? We agreed to name him after my late uncle (the due date was around the 1 year anniversary of his passing) and the middle name came from DF's favorite driver... so we have Benjamin Kyle. 

We pray that there will not be a baby number 4, at least not for a LONG time (Alex is 6, Jake is 20 mo, and Ben is 6 mos)  However, if we do have another one, ever... let it be a girl... We already have that name picked out!  (Rebecca Christine)

Lapis_Lazuli
by Andie- Head Admin on Oct. 8, 2009 at 12:56 PM

With my first, my husband and I could not decide--he likes traditional, girly names (or the ridiculously popular) like Isabella, Sophia, Emma. I like names that have no connotation--I don't want people to hear the name and say "poor", "rich", "uneducated", "ivy league", "black, "white". So top 10 names were out. 

We fought the whole 9 months over it, and when getting wheeled into the c-section room, a nurse suggested Emma Leigh, which then felt like the baby was telling us her name--Emerald. It was the maternity photographer's name, and it was beyond perfect. We called her Ema for a while, but it ticked me off that people literally pretended the name Emerald did not exist (still do), so I don't let anyone call her that any more. 

Renae is a family middle name on my side.

With our second, I told my husband just to pick something he liked because I was tired of the stress. He didn't even tell me the gender because I would worry about it then. He narrowed it down to 3 names and decided to pick when  he "met" his son--Alexander, Dylan, and Gabriel.

He introduced me to Gabriel Lynn (Lynn is his family name) that February! 

For the future, I get to name the baby and surprise him!

jamesmommy12
by on Oct. 8, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Before my husband and I met my husband called into a radio show and won tickets to a wrestling show. The next day as he was getting ready to leave for it his Grandpa called and asked him to come visit him in the hospital. My husband told him he would visit him when he got back but returned to learn his Grandpa had died. He decided then he wanted to name is first son after his Grandpa and we did.

liruha
by on Oct. 8, 2009 at 5:55 PM

I always wanted to have a Skye too! Love that name.

kittin002002
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 1:40 PM

I have had names picked out for two years so no stressing bout naming the baby later on im finally pregnant with our first and we have a rule,  First baby will have a middle name from his family and second child will have a middle name from my family.  If its a first born boy his name will be Aiden Ray,  Aiden off Sex and the City and Ray is my husband and fathers and grandfathers middle name also my husbands name is Adam so he will have his initials.  If its a first born girl it will be Logan Louise, Logan just cuz i love that as a girls name and Louise is his mothers name.  If its a second born boy im thinking Drake Edward or something that goes with Edward (My fathers name) but if its a second born girl I love Eva Jo, Eva is my grandmother and Jo is mine and my mothers middle name.

annaica
by on Nov. 11, 2009 at 11:11 AM

I like names that mean "fiery"- we all have to have a little spunk to keep things interesting;)  He is gorgeous- you did well!!!  I have a pop bottle sitting right next to me and gasped when I saw that photo!  SOOO little!  What a guy:)

annaica
by on Nov. 11, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Here I am in this post for probably the 5th time today, lol... There's something in this post that you might be looking for;) I just thought I need to explain where my son's name came from.  When I was 12, I babysat my neighbor's grandson-a lil blond haired, blue eyed boy that was a busy-body and went by the name of Keegan.  I just knew instantly that the name Keegan would be my son's name... I actually made a list that year (which I still have) of names I just thought I loved.  Only a couple make the cut these days, though- 15 years later:)

Keegan means little and fiery.  He is not so little, he never really was... He just had to grow as fast as he could.  His feet are almost as long as mine already and he's not even 7 yet.  He weighs 63 lbs.  and is just over 4 feet tall already!  I am kinda glad we're having a baby, I will go through this all again, but oh so much fun!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)