Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Share your baby name story!!

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you have a story behind your little ones name?  Maybe a fun story about how you and daddy picked the name?  Share your baby name stories here!

by on Oct. 7, 2009 at 9:36 AM
Replies (41-50):
sallyksunshine
by on Feb. 17, 2010 at 11:19 AM

While pregnant with our first Kailand we lived only a few blocks from the ocean which never looked the same on any given day. So I really wanted to name him ocean or something that meant it. I was about eight months pregnant when my husband told me of the name Kailand I immediatly liked loved it.

Very early on we narrowed our second childs name down to Juliet of Noah.. But as his due date came closer I wasn't 100% sure so while looking through a baby name book we found out that Kai in Hawiian meant sea and in native american it means the base of a willow tree.  Anyway we had spelled our first sons name like Kighland but after finding out that Kailand spelling would mean exactly what we were going for when we named him we changed the spelling to Kailand. We did end up naming our second Noah.

GracefulD
by on Mar. 29, 2010 at 1:49 AM

Well when I found out that I was having a little girl the first time My now ex and I didn't agree on anything... He like DeDe and I liked Grace... Well I went to bed the night before I had her and had a dream about Elvis... So I on my own named her Gracelynn... I didnt want to name her Graceland so I named her something close to it... And I got her middle name out of a book that I was reading... Her middle name is Aboieenn....

buckbuckmeow
by on Mar. 29, 2010 at 10:15 AM

When DF and I found out we were pg with our 1st (a BIG surprise) we decided very quickly that I would choose the name if it was a girl and he would choose the name if it was a boy.  My DF is Native American so he wanted to have the baby traditionally named.  That involves giving sama (tobacco) to his dad or another elder and then they would be "given" or "told" the name. 

Well, is was a girl!  Whew!  I was a little nervous about giving up that kind of control but I understood the reasoning/meaning behind it.  I grew up with 1 sibling, a younger brother named Chip.  In 1997 he was very ill with muscular dystrophy and chose to commit suicide.  After his death the family came together and we chose a star in remembrance of him so that if we ever wanted to talk to him we'd all be concentrating on the same star. 

Our daughter's name is Stella Arlene.  Stella, after Chip's star and Arlene which is my middle name.

As for the new baby, we have NO idea yet!  I guess we'll discover it when we're meant to!

YokieeYo
by on Apr. 22, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Well i got my first sons name Elijah from the bible a very important and great prophet ! and im trying to concieve a daughter and want to name her Naveah (Heaven backwards) Aaliyah ! Or if i have a son another important prophet ! =]

Jamie-Leigh
by on Apr. 23, 2010 at 3:38 PM

We have one daughter Cadence Leigh. She was born on 01/28/2009. However we had her name picked out since 2000. It is actually a bit of an odd story how we came up with her name. But my husband's loves to tell it and remind everyone that I am actually the one who picked the name.

Back in 2000 when me and the hubby were just dating he was really big into car stereo's and the like (he still is sort of). He went through tons of diffrent speakers, and amp combinations with all sort of names like g-spot and mephis, and audioban. Well one day he come to get me and is showing off all of his new gear. In the back of his truck he has a Cadence Amp. I thought Cadence was about he most beautiful name I had ever heard. I told him one day if we have a girl that is so going to be her name. Fast forward 9 years and we find out that I am indeed Prego with the girl he was so hoping for and automatically we KNEW that her name would be Cadence. We had a bit of a debate over a middle name. I really like McKenna but he wanted to use my middle name Leigh. He said that if we had a boy we had planned to use his middle name so it only seemed fair to use mine with our daugher. Hence the name Cadence Leigh. We absolutley love the name and it fits her so well.  She also goes by the nick name Cada Leigh (which my mom felt sounds so southern. lol)

We are expecting number 2 in December 2010 but not sure what we will name if it's a girl. If we have a boy we are planning to name him Alexander Scott (unless we change our mind between now and then)

april678
by on Apr. 28, 2010 at 1:55 AM

Baby number 1: I picked the Dominique from a gymnast named Dominique Dawes.

Baby number 2: When I was pregnant with my second daughter, I named her after her cousins middle name, and that's how I got the name Amber.

Baby number 3: My son was named after his Granddaddy and his older brother. That is how I got the name: Gerome Timothy.

Baby number 4; he was named after his Grandpa Hank Aron, so I named my son: Aaron Henry

knagsmom
by on Apr. 28, 2010 at 9:15 PM

ummm with my son i wanted to name him after my grandfather Keith and my hubby picked nathaniel because u can pronauce it in spanish. with keith i thought it was nice because there isnt a lot of little boys age 3 with his name. with my daughter her name i found in a harry potter book. arianna. i didnt relize that there is alot of girls have her name but its unique. her middle name is graciella. so both have spanish middle names

nicole4ray
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:37 PM

When I was 15 years old my grandma died. One day I was at his grave site and I started thinking of ways I could honor his name in my children's names. His name is Raymond Lee. So after looking at it for awhile I came up with Raylee. So that was what I knew I would name my first girl, because it was too feminine sounding for a boy name when I put it together the way I did. When I met my husband I told him the name I had chosen and he loved it. So our oldest dd is Raylee. Our youngest dd is Chloe, no story behind her name, we just heard it one day and loved it so it stuck.

JoyfulJuliana
by on Jun. 9, 2010 at 11:03 AM

MEADOW ROSE S-

Meadow - In a dream my husband had before we even knew it would be a little girl, he was playing with our little baby girl and a voice told him "Her name is Meadow".

Rose - Now as for the middle name, Rose is a part of my family heritage. But in addition, we looked up "meadow rose" as one unit and found that it is a flower that grows in rocky places. We found it appropriate for these times.

amenafaye
by on Jun. 16, 2010 at 5:11 AM

When my boyfriend and I found out we were having a baby i was in the middle of dealing with the death of  my best friend since first grade(her name was Amanda Paige). When Amanda and I were in the 3rd grade she had a puppy named Em and she always loved the name Lynn for a girl. Well I don't know what the sex of the baby is and won't know for a few more weeks but if its a girl her name is going to be Emalin Paige Hollingsworth. My boyfriend wanted to name our boy Steely which I thought sounded weird and I've always liked the name Bentley so we agreed on Bentley Steeleey Hollingsworth if we find out we're having a boy. I hope we're having a girl though I love that name (:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)