Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Share your baby name story!!

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you have a story behind your little ones name?  Maybe a fun story about how you and daddy picked the name?  Share your baby name stories here!

by on Oct. 7, 2009 at 9:36 AM
Replies (51-60):
mj.bullion
by Melissa on Jun. 16, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Hm, not sure if I've responded to this or not. I'll look through and delete this if I have, but basically Dh and I could NOT agree on a boy name. (Which we had a boy) but.. I was searching and searching and he would like something I didn't and I would like something he didn't or whatever. So eventually I stopped looking. We were watching X-Men.. the one where Professor  Charles Xavier dies. I saw the headstone and thought the name was pretty. Mentioned it to DH and he said "Hm, yeah. I like that". I still wasn't 100% with it. But I couldn't find anything else by the time DS was born so he became Xavier Michael! ..Michael is after my father (his middle name) and my brother (his first name).

SummerDawnDay
by on Jul. 15, 2010 at 7:44 PM
I *KNEW* with my first child that it was going to be a boy!! And I was sooo happy too!! I had had multiple miscarriages in the previous years beofre his birth and was told by a Doctor that I wouldn't be able to have any babies-due to damage done in my early years--Sooo, I NEVER thought I'd carry a child to full term-I usually miscarried in the first 3 months... And as soon as I found out I was pregnant I searched for a name that would be meaningful to myself and my child (hopefully)--Hence his name being Nathaniel--Nathan--(now NATE for short--Which mean, "gift from God"... I was blessed by this child and am amazed at how he has kept me going over the years-- He is my special GIFT from Above & Which-ever God you want to believe in-- He's is my Gift without a doubt!!! I know that I would NOT be alive today if it were not for him in my life!!! I am blessed by my gift and sooo very thankful that he is such a special, smart, & caring young man now!! (he's almost 11 yrs old!!) Now that I am (amazlingly) pregnant again at at approz 6 months along-- I STILL have not come up with a suitable name for this child--a little girl--I only have about 3 months left!! WOW!! After 5 miscarriages & one live-birth--this child is an amazing feat for my body & I am amazed, astonished, and in AWE that I am going to have a daughter!!! :-) Now... to name her that special name.... :-) Blessed Be Everyone!!
bmwmom
by on Jul. 16, 2010 at 10:00 PM
I had liked the name Braxton for a few years...so when I found out it was a boy, I wanted to name him that. DH wasn't so sold on it but I would write it every where so he would get used to seeing it. He still wasn't sold so we were almost set on Karson. BUT I finally asked if we used his name as the MN would he like it then and he said yes! Woo! Braxton Matthew it is :) For baby #2, we had a list of boy names (we were SET if it was a girl) but I really really loved Maddox and no other name could measure up. Once again, DH said he didn't really like it even though long ago he told me he did...so I knew I could sell him on it. Finally, after he told me no a couple of times, I said if this baby is a boy, his name will be Maddox. I just can't have it any other way! He said fine, he guessed he did like it. Clayton was already set as the middle b/c it's my dad's name. So, Maddox Clayton it is :)
LelandsMommy
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 11:22 AM

Wow, I thought I had already replied to this thread a long time ago, but I just read through all the replies and I'm not there... so I guess not.

Anyway... here's my stories:

Baby#1- His story is the longest, and it's in two parts; 1.) how I came up with the name, and 2.) how we decided on the name.

So, the first thing you have to know is that I had a name list I had been compiling since I was 12 years old and updating every so often as I found new names or my tastes changed, etc. The very LAST same I added to the list was Leland Avery in 2004, when I was 18. I had read a book in high school, and there was a character named Leland... I honestly don't even remember what the book was about, just that the name jumped out at me (and it wasn't even a main character... I think it was just a friendly grocery store clerk or something), and that  it was set in the 1920's. Soooo.... I began to look around for a name to go with it, and I wanted a name that was also from literature AND also from the early 1900's .... Now I don't know if you guys remember this, but Cartoon Network (before it got ridiculous) used to play old cartoons. There's a very popular cartoonist named Tex Avery (he created the characters of Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, and Bugs Bunny!), and Cartoon Network used to have a program of just his cartoons. So the name Avery got stuck in my head, and I remembered that it was the little brother's name from "Charlotte's Web"! So, bingo! Older name also in literature, and Leland Avery went onto my list! 

Now fast forward a year to 2005, and I find out I'm pregnant. I hand hubby the list... like as soon as I get the "+" sign on the test, and told him to pick one girl name and one boy name. Leland Avery was the boy name he picked, and the name was set! I kept calling him Leland even before we had the ultrasound to find out he was a boy... It was involuntary, something just kept telling me, "His name is Leland", and everytime I would go to say "the baby" I would come up with "Leland" ( "Leland is very active today", "Leland keeps kicking my hip bones", "Leland doesn't like for me to eat onions") I felt guilty always doing that before we had the confirmation that he was a boy, but now I think it's one of those things you sometimes just know.

Okay, that's Baby #1's story... I'm gonna make a separate reply for the other 2 because this one is already so LONG (sorry about that!)

LelandsMommy
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Okay here are the stories for babies #2 and #3... I promise they are shorter!

Baby # 2- Hubby didn't like ANY of the other boy names on my list, so I went on the hunt. I must have fired a MILLION names at him, and he shot them all down.... I REALLY wanted Abbot Oliver, and I was heartbroken when hubby HATED it :*( So, being VERY frustrated (and maybe a little hormonal) after suggesting the millionth name to be denied, we were in Target and in the book section, I grabbed a random naming book off the shelf and practically threw it at hubby. I told him since he seems to hate every name I suggested, he needed to find a name he actually does like... if one even existed! So he randomly opens the book to the last page of "K" names, and points to Kyan, and says "How about Kyan?" I instantly LOVED it, and was mad at him for not even having to search for it! I asked what middle name we would use, and he said even though he didn't like "Oliver" when I had it paired with Abbot, he liked it with Kyan. So Kyan Oliver was our name... decided in about 5 min. in Target when I was 9 weeks pregnant.

Baby #3- She was the easiest to name. I had found the name Elia a few months before I got pregnant, and I wrote it down on a slip of paper and left it by the computer. When hubby saw it, he said he thought it was beautiful and would be a great name if we ever had a girl, and we left it at that. When I got pregnant, I asked him if he had any names, and he said, "Well, if it's a girl, we're naming her Elia, right?" Then one day we were sitting in a parking lot waiting on a friend to meet us, and we just started firing off ideas for middle names, and I suggested Kaylynn, and he loved it... Then he came up with the idea to spell it "Kailen" because he thought the palindrome of having "Elia" spelled backwards in her middle name was cool. I figured why not, if it made him happy... but now everyone pronounces it wrong, but it doesn't bother me. So Elia Kailen it was!

Heather052706
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:43 AM

My son who will be 3 in April (which is when our next baby is due) Got his name (Corbin) from a bruce willis movie. My husband loves the movie the 5th Element and in that movie Bruce Willis name is Corbin. Thats how we picked his name. With the new baby I am carrying I told him we can not use a  Bruce Willis movie to name them. HAHAH

1wildchild
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:31 PM

I had a feeling we were having a girl before we got the ultrasound. I had 4 dreams finding out the baby's sex. In all 4 dreams the baby was a girl. 

I had a very long list of girl names written down and on that list I had the name McKenzie because of an inside joke DH and I had about a local news reporter. Out of all of those names (and there were A TON!) I kept going back to the name McKenzie (only I spelled it Mackenzie). I took it as a sign that that would be her name because I kept going back to it.

We chose the middle name Michele for my aunt who was killed in a car accident when I was 5. It flowed well with Mackenzie and I didn't want to pass on the mn "Ann" which almost all of the women in my family have.

lashes325
by on Mar. 7, 2011 at 11:25 AM

My son's name is Afton Craig. I fell in love with the name Afton as soon as i saw it so i told the dad (we are no longer together) either you hate it and you're gona have to live with it or you're gona learn to love it. Craig is my step-dad's middle name and i really wanted to honor him for all that he's done for me :)

annaica
by on Mar. 20, 2011 at 1:01 PM

I had worked with a girl once named Afton.  She was the only one I had known :)

Quoting lashes325:

My son's name is Afton Craig. I fell in love with the name Afton as soon as i saw it so i told the dad (we are no longer together) either you hate it and you're gona have to live with it or you're gona learn to love it. Craig is my step-dad's middle name and i really wanted to honor him for all that he's done for me :)

GwynH.Momma
by on Mar. 20, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Baby #1 - Keslee Azalia: We started off with the name Preslee, but we both decided that that wasn't feminine enough and with it's popularity growing we wanted to change it so after a lot of pondering we came up with Keslee. With her middle name I loved Ezra, but didn't think it went well with Keslee so DH looked through a baby name book and wrote down all of the names he could find that we were similar. We both saw Azalia and the names fit perfectly. And Keslee's name fits her too!

Baby #2 and #3 - Madigan Belle and Emery Delia: We found out we were having twin girls and I instantly knew I wanted one to be named Madigan -- a name I had fallen in love with after having my firt daughter. Then the challenge was finding the perfect middle name and a whole other name for Madigan's twin. DH happened upon the name Emerson, but we decided to shorten it and make it "girlier" by using Emery instead. And then, it was middle name time! We didn't want the girl's names to be too matchy, but to sound nice together. So, when I sat there staring at the names we had picked written on a scrap of paper with the baby book open I flipped to the "B" section and began reading off names preceeded by Madigan's name. When I read off Belle it sounded nice so I wrote it down. I did the same with Emery, but beginning in the "D" section, because Bs and Ds go well together. And the same thing happened when I came upon Delia. They fit well and DH approved. Thus, we have our twins' names!

Baby #4 - Rylan Grae: When we headed to the hospital, because my labor was beginning we were set on the name Brynlee Rae, but when I laid eyes on my new baby girl I knew that wasn't the right name for her. DH and I flipped frantically through baby name books and did Google searches for names, but nothin fit our new bundle of joy. My sister came in and laughed at us for not having a name, but then suggested Rylan -- the name she had picked for her baby that turned out to be a boy. DH and I loved it, but we were still missing a middle name and Rylan Rae had too many Rs for my taste. We decided to stick to the "ae" ending when DH began talking about how the sky looked gray and gloomy that day and it clicked. I interrrupted Dh exclaiming, "That's her name! That's her name!" And after I was done being overly excited we agreed that Rylan Grae was, in fact, the perfect name for our little girl!

Baby #5 - Is still a mystery. Although I'm due March 30th, we've yet to come up with a single name we both like and that fits well with the other girls' names. We're hoping the right name happens along in the near future and doesn't need to be changed after meeting our baby daughter!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)