Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Deployment Advice...

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 2:11 AM
  • 0 Replies
  • 188 Total Views

This was sent to me through my DH's unit and I thought I would pass it on. Use as much or as little of this as you can!

Nicole

Deployment advice

Be Real

Don't pretend like everything is ok when it's not. Have someone you can confide in and be real with. Chances are you are not the only one struggling.

Children

Have a plan in place to have someone watch your children on occasion so that you can have some alone time.

Church

Be bold in asking your church how they can support you through this, and be bold in giving suggestions. It would be good for the church to have a key person to keep up with how you are doing...regularly.

Depression

Plan a coping strategy for the low days...be it soliciting a key contact person to pray or call in help with the kids while you get out for a few hours. It's hard to ask for help when you are struggling with depression.

Diet

Eat healthy and regulary...don't skip meals!

Get Connected

Seek out others who understand and are in a similar situation...or someone who has been there. (see Get Connected) Even if you are not near a military installation, there are ways to connect with others, and it will be worth it!

God

Focus on God's promises and his goodness and do all you can not to give in to fear and worry. Fully rest in the knowledge of who HE is, trusting that he will sustain you through this!!!!!

Guard your Marriage

Don't put yourself in a compromising situation. For solid guidance, read Every Woman's Battle or Every Man's Battle to guard your thoughts and actions. Hang out with friends who are pro-marriage.

Journal

If at all possible, journal. You will treasure this. If you are too busy, save e-mail correspondence between you and your spouse.

Move Home? Stay at the Military Installation?

Each situation is unique. Consider the level of support you and your family will receive with each option. The military community tends to offer more emotional support from others who've been there...done that. Moving home may provide more hands on support.

Prayer

Solicit specific people to pray for you...both of you, prior to, during, and immediately after the deployment.

Receive

You are going through an incredibly hard season in your life. When people want to help, accept their help. (Yes, it's hard to receive!!) My philosophy on this is accept people's generosity, and when I am able, I will help others in their time of need.

Rest

Get your rest! I stayed up late way too many nights trying to stay on top of everything that needed to be done.

Time for You

Make sure you take time for yourself. Take up a new hobby...carve some fun time into your schedule that you can look forward to.

Unreal Expectations

Don't feel like you have to be the Super Military Mom/Wife that's going to model to everyone around you how it's done. I came out of the last deployment disappointed with myself...that I should have been stronger. It will not always be easy and just plan on that.

by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 2:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)