Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

school question?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 5:47 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 228 Total Views
hi my son turns 4 sept. 21st and will be missing both the pre-k and kinderdarden deadline by a few days.. my question is do any of you know if it is possible to test into kindergarden? i dont want him or my other kids(all spetember birthdays) to have to be a whole year behind over a few days... if you have any ideas i would love to hear them....i was thinking about doing my best to teach him from home this year..
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
glitterbelle
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 7:57 PM
I dont think you can test into public school but I know a friend who got her daughter into Kings Academy a year by having her tested early because she had a late sept bday and then she put her in public school after that other private schools might let you test in early.
Banandrea
by New Member on Aug. 9, 2007 at 6:30 PM
I know you wrote this question over a week ago, but I just wanted to give you my 50 cents on the matter.  I have 3 children.  2 December birthdays and one October birthday.  You can go to a private school and get them advanced... but I don't think it is the best idea.  For example, my middle daughter is very smart (well... all of them are really smart!)  and the private school she was in wanted to push her into kindergarden at age 4 and just skip pk 4 because they said she was too advanced for the class!  So instead we left the school and went to a more advance private school.  They develope all differently, but it was the best thing I could have done.  Now my daughter is at the TOP of her class, has been entered into a Duke University program, and is very well rounded.  She is alway Honor role.... never any trouble in school!  We started violin at age 4 to occupy some of the other free time she had and she now takes 6 dance classes a week, still plays the violin,  and is a cheerleader also.  My 3 year old is just the same as she knows her letters, phonics, numbers, she even knows alot of the state in the US on the globe and she is now learning other countries.... just b/c they are book smart.... or almost 5.... it is better to have them at the TOP of their class rather than the bottom of the class.  If they are really smart.... get them into gifted classes at the public school if you don't choose private.  SO many options, but keep them little as long as you can! They grow up TOOOOOOOOOOOO fast! 
Blewbubble
by Member on Aug. 22, 2007 at 12:05 PM
thank you..that is a good point about the top of the class versus bottom of the class.. it just irritates me that he will miss out on school by 20 days.. well that and i have a new baby coming in 2 weeks or so and really wanted a small break while he was in pre-k lol..i know it sounds bad..
ctflute
by Member on Aug. 28, 2007 at 2:36 PM

My neighbor's daughter turns 5 in September but she is advanced and the mom knew she'd be bored in pre-K.  She is sending her to a private school that agreed to place her directly into kindergarten.

ferfer72
by on Aug. 29, 2007 at 3:33 PM
my son is in the same shoes sept 10 he will be 4 but sooooo many educators have actually told me that it will be to his advantage to wait! good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)