Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think people understand?

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:21 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 685 Total Views

Sometimes I don't know if stuff I am going through is because I have triplets or if it is just "normal" parenting stuff.  In any case, do any of you ever feel like parents of singletons just don't understand ??  When my kids were first born, one of my friends for sure just didn't get it and still doesn't.  I mean really, how would I have been able to go to mommy and me swim classes, etc. and all the things you imagine you might do with one.  She would always say I need to just act "normal", whatever that is.  Sorry, but my life is not "normal"!!!

by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
IAMmomtotrips
by Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:10 PM
I actually agree with your singleton friend to an extent. I made a commitment to myself that I would never let my having "triplets" keep me from doing things that I would have done with a singleton...one of my best friends with triplets gve me the best advice when I found out it was triplets...get out EVERY day with them as soon as they are medically clear at least once a day, even if it's just to the star bucks drive through. Get them used to going places and thats what we did. Get a trust worthy sitter, or join the YMCA (they have child care and different classes for different ages)...I did swim mommy and me classes where I would take one and rotate them out...then they started different activities...one does gymnastics, one rides horses, and one does ice skating.

The only thing we didn't really do that singleton mom's seen to get way with was having a more relaxed schedule....my girls needed a strict schedule....

Honestly it's all relative though...singleton mom's don't get twins, twin moms, don't get triplets, and I couldn't imagine quads or more...if we had had only one, we wouldnt get it either. Does that make sense?
mvbullock
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:36 PM

My other mommy friends seem to get it. I haven't heard anything differently but I don't have too many friends either lol. I had a friend who was single & no children but I don't think she would have understood even if I just had one baby. She didn't quite grasp the "i can't just on the spur of the moment go to the movies, dinner etc.."

My trips are on a pretty tight/strict schedule so that everyone naps together at the same times. Now that they are more mobile I try & take them out a little but normally only when I have a 2nd adult. My babies don't do any of the normal swimming classes, mommy & me or i guess mommy & us classes lol. Hopefully that will change next year. I can't carry 3 babies & most places can't accommodate my HUGE triple stroller. Plus going out in public is just awkward sometimes with so many comments.

I get a lot of people tell me 'I don't know how you do it'. I have no idea how to answer that question.

But I agree with the PP, no one quite 'gets' the other.

triplets0718
by Group Admin on May. 8, 2012 at 8:39 AM

No, I don't think other Moms truly get it. Sometimes I think my own parents don't truly get it. They live about an hour and a half from us, and they are an hour behind us. So when we go to visit them, we leave their house by 4-430 to be home by 7-730. We do this b/c they have school the next day, and I don't think my parents even get what it's like to wake 3 kids up, make sure they are moving (if I don't, right back to sleep they go!) and then make 3 lunches, wake the 3yr old up and drive them to school. It's 3x's the work, but 3x's the hugs and kisses too!

Trilovemommy
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:24 AM
Most singleton parents especially mom do not get it. Period. It wasn't until friends of mine that had at least three singletons of different ages, close in age, did they ever understand. Now, that my kids are in school, 2nd grade. I have found great friends who understand. Rarely, I run across one that doesn't get it. She usually throws out the most unhelpful advice, etc. Soon she becomes an ex friend or just an acquaintance. I don't have time ,energy or reason to have that type of person in our lives. Lol I am sure you don't either! :-) I have found that having only positive people in life helps me deal with my "normal" life. I have on occasion reminded those ex friends they have no idea and to please to understanding or just to stop with the remarks. Lol I have to keep it as simple as possible. Even now at 7 q/2 years old, my kids still thrive on routine and schedule.
Trilovemommy
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:26 AM
I loved when I lived in California and WI , I had a triplets and multiples group that I had my closest friends with. Here in Florida, no one seems to really gather in the multiples groups. :(
tripletmomNYC
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 7:14 AM

HI, im a newbee to this site.  Im a triplet mom, and I agree that most people really dont understand how difficult a day it is with triplets.  My humble advice is really-ignore those people in your ear  and write a post on here to vent!!! LOL we understand it!!!  But seriously, I do think that it is soooooo much better to have all three babies at the same time :) they do everything together, and their schedule is tight yes.  But how many activities does a 2 year old REALLY need!!!  I mean seriously??!!!  Mommy and me classes were designed for the mommies to chat and ignore their kids, I wouldnt trade my active day for the world!!!  I NEVER have to go to one of those silly classes.  I have my own little active day planned.  Before you blink they will be in Highschool so enjoy every single tiring moment......but I agree, no one really understands it until they have triplets :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)