Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Welcome and Introduce Yourself!

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:55 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 679 Total Views

Welcome to 2008 NICU Alumni.

My name is Alyssa. My son was born 6 weeks early and spent 13 days in the NICU, split between Johns Hopkins and our original hospital. It was a very difficult time for us, although I know we had it easy compared to some.

Please introduce yourself.

Alyssa 30
Married DH 05/14/05
Adopted beagle Charlie 06/05
Logan born 09/26/08, born 6 weeks early and spent 13 days in the NICU
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
floodalchemist
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:30 PM

My daughter Nicole was born 4 weeks early because of the preeclampsia. I was due Oct 5th but was induced into labor Sept 4th and was born Sept 5th weighing in 4lbs 7oz. She was under care for about 4 days I think since she was so tiny and the doctors/nurses acted as if we both we going to die if they waited any longer when she was in me. I have my father's personality nothing really phases me.

MY GROUPS **CLICK ON IMAGES IT WILL OPEN TO A NEW WINDOW** PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
ZanesMommy2008
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 9:46 PM

Hey Everyone. My little one was born 6 weeks early and spent 13 days in the NICU. I went into labor at 32 5/7 days and my water broke the next day. I was on hospitalize bed rest for 8 days and delivered my litlte one, Zane, at 34 weeks. He was born on 2/2/08

jswife
by New Member on Dec. 19, 2008 at 2:28 PM

Hello. My name is Tarra. My son was born 9 weeks early. I was 31 weeks pregnant. I didnt know anything was wrong until the day I had him. Hes a miracle. He came into this world weighing in at 1lb 14oz.  He was the size as if he was 26 weeks gestation. June 14th 2008. He spent 2  months (well, 58 days!) In a RNICU. He came home weighing 3lbs 15oz. Aug. 10th. We have a very complex story. Im excited to get to know you all.

Tarra 24

Married DH 3/20/04

Got our Sasha (GS) 7/26/05 (our dog)

Logan Born 6/14/08 Born 9 weeks early (The size of 14 weeks early)

d0mesticg0ddess
by on Dec. 24, 2008 at 3:01 AM

My name is Regina and my son Mason was born at 27 weeks gestation weighing 2lbs 2 ounces.  He was born June 14th 2008 the same date as the Mommy above me. :) We had typical complications  but all went well now that I look back on my experience. Mason spent 3 long months in the NICU and came home September 17th 3 days past his due date.

The short  version of my story was the fact that at 25 weeks my Ultra sound tech found my Cervix already trying to open up but a day later at my regular visit my Doctor dismissed the whole thing. So at 27 weeks I went in for some spotting and small contractions only to find out I was 10 cen. dilated and my baby was breech. After one emergency c-section that all could have been prevented I sit hear and count my blessings because it all could have been much worse.

Today Mason is quite the Chunky Monkey and seems to be doing extremely well and I am proud of my little man everyday. Now that he has survived his NICU experiance lets see if he can survive his brother who is 10 months older than him.

Linkolnsmommy
by New Member on Dec. 24, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Hi, my name is Mikey. My son Linkoln David was born 10 weeks early due to severe pre-e. Link weighed 2lbs 4oz and was 14 inches long. We spent 5 1/2 weeks in the NICU 3 hours away from home (our hospital didn't have a level 3 NICU). We are very fortunate that Linkoln had no issues besides being a small guy. He is now a few days away from 6 months and is doing wonderful! He is only a little behind his adjusted age developmentally, and is such a great baby! We are excited to spend our first christmas as a family.

AlyssaRob1416
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:04 AM

My name is Beth. My little one Addisyn was born Oct  7, 2008 @ 28 weeks weighing 3 lbs 3 oz. I had a placenta abruption that ended up in an emergency c-section. She has had a few complication, the latest requiring a trach. We are hoping she is on the road to come home soon.

benandwes
by on Jan. 15, 2009 at 12:34 AM

Hi everybody.  My name is Jessica, I have two boys.  Ben just turned 4 a couple of days ago, and was my first NICU baby.  He was a c-section and was admitted the day we were supposed to go home for dehydration and jaundice.  I personally feel that was unnecessary, but whatever, it's been 4 years so I'm moving on.  Wesley was born November 6.  He was two weeks early.  I began going into labor early, according to my doctor.  I had started dilating and was even contracting, but couldn't feel anything.  I was scheduled to have another c-section, and the doctor went ahead and did it early since I was in labor.  Wesley was 7 lbs 6 oz and I thought was doing fine but then started having breathing problems.  They took him to a bigger hospital about an hour away from mine, which was awful since due to the c-section I could not go with him.  I had a hard time with that, plus the fact that I didn't even get to hold him or even see him really before he was gone, but my doctor discharged me the next day instead of making me wait the three days so I could see him.  In the NICU they said that they couldn't figure out what exactly the problem was, he had to be intubated and put on a ventilator, plus was on antibiotics.  They figure he contracted pneumonia in the womb, which is why I started going into labor early.  Anyway, that was naturally awful, we couldn't even hold him for almost a week.  He was put on a different vent for a while and that helped, and then they weaned him off of that and off his meds.  He had to be on blood pressure meds and all sorts of stuff.  Once he got off of all that they began to start him on food, I had pumped breast milk the entire time, so they were giving him that.  The meds didn't really make his stomach work, plus he was only on IV fluids that whole time, so they had to start very small and work up to larger amounts.  That actually took the most time, he kept having setbacks, like a stress ulcer from all the meds, and then his stomach wasn't working well enough so he wasn't digesting everything, so they had to scale back the amount.  Anyway, blah blah blah, he finally got better and 17 days later he went home.  He is doing great now, getting fat and happy! 

studioeastrat
by on Jan. 15, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jess and I have 2 kids. My first is a little girl named Kira and she is 2.5yrs old. My second is my NICU baby. His name is Jack and is 4 months old. He was born on the 15Th of September. When he was born his lungs were not working to full capacity. He had to stay in the NICU until the 1st of October. He was full term so they think that the problem was caused by pneumonia. He is perfectly healthy now and a big boy.

MY LITTLE OU FANS 2009!

my3sons0828
by Member on Jan. 20, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Hello everyone! My name is Sara and I am the proud Mommy of 3 crazy boys! My oldest boy Colten is 8 years old. He is my first NICU baby. Colten was born at 36 weeks and 4 days. He was induced due to pre-eclampsia and due to a prolonged rupture had problems breathing when he was born. He spent 2 weeks in the NICU on antibiotics. He is now a very tall 8 year old and is supposed to be 6'2 by the time he is 14. Zachary is my middle tornado and is 6. He was actually a week overdue, though not for lack of trying by my Dr. to get him to come early, but every week they'd attempt to induce me, nothing would happen and my labs would get better so they'd send me home until the next week. We did that game for 4 weeks! Zach is a normal 6 year old. We call him our genius because he is so inquisitive he'll either be a Dr., or a serial killer! Casen is my youngest boy. He is also my preemie! He was born March 30th 2008 at 28 weeks and 4 days. Casen weighed 2 lbs. 14 ozs. and was 15 ins long. He spent a week shy of 2 months in the NICU and was intubated for a total of 48 hours an spent a lot longer time on cpap. He came home at almost 5 lbs and on an apnea monitor. Tub-Tub, as we call him, is now almost 22 lbs. and 23 ins. long! The only thing that keeps him behind is that he is not sitting up, and has no urge to! That time in the NICU was the scariest time in my life and I felt so guilty that I had him early. I am so grateful for our NICU team and think about them everyday! Now thanks to them we have our Tub-Tub!

benandwes
by on Jan. 29, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Quoting my3sons0828:

Hello everyone! My name is Sara and I am the proud Mommy of 3 crazy boys! My oldest boy Colten is 8 years old. He is my first NICU baby. Colten was born at 36 weeks and 4 days. He was induced due to pre-eclampsia and due to a prolonged rupture had problems breathing when he was born. He spent 2 weeks in the NICU on antibiotics. He is now a very tall 8 year old and is supposed to be 6'2 by the time he is 14. Zachary is my middle tornado and is 6. He was actually a week overdue, though not for lack of trying by my Dr. to get him to come early, but every week they'd attempt to induce me, nothing would happen and my labs would get better so they'd send me home until the next week. We did that game for 4 weeks! Zach is a normal 6 year old. We call him our genius because he is so inquisitive he'll either be a Dr., or a serial killer! Casen is my youngest boy. He is also my preemie! He was born March 30th 2008 at 28 weeks and 4 days. Casen weighed 2 lbs. 14 ozs. and was 15 ins long. He spent a week shy of 2 months in the NICU and was intubated for a total of 48 hours an spent a lot longer time on cpap. He came home at almost 5 lbs and on an apnea monitor. Tub-Tub, as we call him, is now almost 22 lbs. and 23 ins. long! The only thing that keeps him behind is that he is not sitting up, and has no urge to! That time in the NICU was the scariest time in my life and I felt so guilty that I had him early. I am so grateful for our NICU team and think about them everyday! Now thanks to them we have our Tub-Tub!

You have beautiful kids!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)