Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

should i be concerned?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:54 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 239 Total Views
That my puppy is growling at my girls? He is only 8wks but he seems to have no patience with my lil ones. He does it only when he is layin down next to me on the couch or when he lays with one of the girls then he will growl at whichever child comes and tries to pet or kiss him. Is it just him bein protective already? Lol I'm not to concerned right now cuz he's a pup but just curiuse what you guys think. Thanks
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Blueliner
by Group Owner on Aug. 26, 2009 at 1:29 AM

I would make sure he knows his "place" in the family. If he growls when he's on the couch then I'd kick him off right then! No more couch, if it continues you might want revoke couch privileges completely. If you're girls are old enough to help with training that might help teach him that they are "in charge" and he needs to respect them. Have them help you to teach him "sit", "down", "wait", "leave it", etc. They give the command, if he complies they hand him the treat. Also, make sure to teach you girls things like, how to properly pet him, to leave him alone when he's eating or sleeping, etc... He is a puppy, and I'm might not be a big deal, but you it's better to "nip this in the butt" now!

If it continues or get worse, or you just start to worry about it more don't hesitate to find a good trainer to help you out! I'd get him in puppy kindergarten ASAP too, and bring your girls if they are old enough to get anything out of it! It's important to get a strong foundation in training and especially socialization, as early as you can!

greeneyes1983
by Member on Aug. 26, 2009 at 2:11 PM
Thank you! I will def do those things. And I know he is attached to my two older girls 2and 4 but the main prib is with my 18mth girl. He growls at her the most. But then tht might be due to her always wanting to drop and roll on him! She thinks he is a play toy or one of her sisters....lol I do tell her no and pick her up when I see her do that and when the dog growls a hold his mouth tight and tell him no bite or no growl.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)