Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Best of 2012

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:12 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 315 Total Views

What were the best books you read this year?  Rate them 1-10 please.  Why?

Wife to Keith & Mom to Austin, 12 Amber, 6

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
TigerofMu
by Head Admin on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Oh boy.  1-10, I don't know.  I know The Help was absolutely amazing.  One of the best and most powerful books I have ever read.  

That Lawn Order I read toward the end of the year was funny.  I like books that make me laugh :). 

I think Jenn McKinlay is hilarious and I enjoy reading her Cupcake Mysteries and Library Lovers Mysteries.

I was so excited to find that John Flanagan wasn't done, and that I was able to read more about the residents of Araluen and Skandia with the Brotherband series.  

I enjoyed the Thirty Nine Clues series, the Conspiracy 365 Series, and absolutely LOVED Chuck Black's Knights of Arrethtrae and Kingdom Series.

I read some more CJ Box, and I was introduced to Craig Johnson and Sherriff Walt Longmire this year in both books and on television.  

The Book Thief.  I hated it at the beginning, but it was such a powerful, powerful book that it has to be mentioned.

A Princess Broken was Misty Gatlin's debut novel, and it was a powerful story.

I'm a big Kelley Armstrong fan, so I was delighted to read The Gathering and The Calling.  

Eat Cake was a good one too.

There are too many good books out there to narrow it down to ten.  It would be better to mention the few I didn't enjoy! ;) 

TigerofMu
by Head Admin on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I forgot to mention that Dee Henderson is back with Full Disclosure!  So great to see this wonderful author again!  One of my very favorites :).

pixiesand
by Owner on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Hard. Let's see... These were my 8-10 star books.

Wishcraft mysteries by Heather Blake - I love the characters and I love, love, love the setting. I have the third one pre-ordered!

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher - I finally started reading this series, I read the first 5 in 2012. I actually listen to these because James Marsters performs them.

14 by Peter Clines - This one blew my mind.

Molly Harper is amazing! Jane Jameson 3 and 4, The Naked Werewolf series and Driving Mr. Dead.

Shadow Falls 1-3 by C.C. Hunter - 9 stars. I love the setting of this series and all the different flavors of characters.

Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost - I read the first three. Love them!

Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones - Charley is hilarious.

The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler - Really fun and interesting.

Cupcake Bakery Mysteries by Jenn McKinlay - These are probably some of my top favorite characters ever.

Love Story Trilogy by Christopher Moore - I listened to them and I laughed out loud constantly.

TigerofMu
by Head Admin on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Aren't they fun?  Some of my favorites too!  Have you read her Library Lover's Mysteries?  They are absolutely wonderful!  She also writes as Lucy Lawrence (Decoupage Mysteries), and Josie Belle (Good Buy Girls Mysteries).

Quoting pixiesand:

Hard. Let's see... These were my 8-10 star books.

Wishcraft mysteries by Heather Blake - I love the characters and I love, love, love the setting. I have the third one pre-ordered!

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher - I finally started reading this series, I read the first 5 in 2012. I actually listen to these because James Marsters performs them.

14 by Peter Clines - This one blew my mind.

Molly Harper is amazing! Jane Jameson 3 and 4, The Naked Werewolf series and Driving Mr. Dead.

Shadow Falls 1-3 by C.C. Hunter - 9 stars. I love the setting of this series and all the different flavors of characters.

Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost - I read the first three. Love them!

Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones - Charley is hilarious.

The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler - Really fun and interesting.

Cupcake Bakery Mysteries by Jenn McKinlay - These are probably some of my top favorite characters ever.

Love Story Trilogy by Christopher Moore - I listened to them and I laughed out loud constantly.

joy2beamommy107
by Co-Owner on Jan. 6, 2013 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Ok i forgot to answer my own question.  Here are the ones that stand out the most from 2012:

Catch Me by Lisa Gardner

Charlene Grant believes she is going to die. For the past few years, her childhood friends have been murdered one by one. Same day. Same time. Now she’s the last of her friends alive, and she’s counting down the final four days of her life until January 21.

Charlene doesn’t plan on going down without a fight. She has taken up boxing, shooting, and running. She also wants Boston’s top homicide detective, D. D. Warren, to handle the investigation.
But as D.D. delves deeper into the case, she starts to question the woman’s story. Instinct tells her that Charlene may not be in any danger at all. If that’s true, the woman must have a secret—one so terrifying that it alone could be the greatest threat of all.
This book was full of twist and and turns and kept me in suspense to the very end.  I do not give many books a 10, but this is one.  A perfect 10!

Mitigating Circumstances by Nancy Taylor Rosenberg

Set in the crowded courts and glamorous suburbs of Southern California, this compulsively readable novel tells the story of Lily Forrester, a feisty, dedicated District Attorney on the rise in her professional career and on the brink in her private life. Newly appointed as Chief of the Sex Crimes Division, Lily is eager to plunge into a job she has long coveted. At the same time, she is coping with a floundering marriage and the lure of a man to whom she is strongly attracted.

All that keeps Lily's marriage together and keeps her from losing herself entirely in work is her quirky thirteen-year-old daughter, Shana. But when an intruder invades Lily's home and commits an unspeakable act, Lily Forrester heads out on a trial of vengeance beyond any law but that of her own rage. With one shattering act, her life spins out of control into a realm of unimaginable uncertainty. Suddenly, she is agonizingly alone, with a circle of danger closing in around her, leaving her no place to run, no place to hide, and no one to trust. For Lily Forrester has already gone too far to turn back

Another Perfect 10, I fell in love with Lily as a character.  She struggled with being a mother and what is right and wrong throughout the book all the while doing everything to protect her child.  This was my first book by this author, but definitely won't be the last.  It is a tear jerking heavy read, but well worth it. 

The Hunger Games trilogy  (9.5)
 Shadow Falls series by C.C. HUnter  (9.0)
What Doesn't Kill Her by Iris Johansen (9.0)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN