Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler Only Wants Milk

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 4:14 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 4884 Total Views

For about the last month, my 21-month-old only wants milk--no food. Usually later in the day she'll eat a little bit of food, but in the morning and until after her early afternoon nap, she only wants "milk babas." She'll finish one bottle and within an hour start screaming, "More milk babas!" No amount of coaxing and pleading and singing Yo Gabba Gabba's "There's a Party in My Tummy" will get her to eat ANYTHING when she only wants milk. She's drinking far too much milk--and not eating nearly enough food. It's gotten to the point where she even wakes up in the middle of the night asking for milk--and she's slept through the night since she was 9 weeks old! She's had a cold for a couple of weeks, so I've been letting it slide because she doesn't feel well. But I'm worried that I'm starving her--and that I'm enabling this baba habit because I'd rather let her have the milk than have nothing at all. I've tried making smoothies--sometimes that works, but other times she knows it's not just milk and refuses to drink it. Does anyone else have this problem with their toddler? Did they outgrow it, or do you have any suggestions?

Jen
Mom to Emma, 13; Wyatt, 10; and baby Sofia...babies

Group Owner
Home Office: www.cafemom.com/group/homeoffice

Juggling little ones AND deadlines? Meet others who have the best of both worlds as a work-from-home mom. (No classifieds, please.)

by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 4:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
girlintheflock
by on Dec. 8, 2009 at 7:50 AM

sounds like its the baba that could be the issue.  i would start taking the baba away from her unless she is going down for a nap or bed, to start with.  offer her he milk in a sippy cup and see what she does.  she probably will prefer to start eating rather than drink all that milk from a cup.  that is what my daughter did.  good luck!

Want healthy kids?  Don't rely on Big Pharma.  They profit off of you and your children staying sick!  Empower yourself and through all natural vitamins and supplements, we can take care of our own!! Ask me about holistic and alternative ways to treat your children.

Peace & Love, Emily

www.mynsp.com/healthykidshappymommy

JenE4
by Group Admin on Dec. 9, 2009 at 1:31 PM

That is the second half of the problem, lol. She ONLY drinks milk in bottles and ONLY drinks other beverages in open cups w/ or w/out straws, sippy cups, water bottles, etc. If I give her milk in a sippy, she'll look at me like I'm crazy and scream for a baba. Or, sometimes I've put water in a bottle thinking that might get her to wean off of it if the milk's not in it, but, again, she looks at me like I'm crazy and throws the bottle on the floor. I have two older children, so I feel silly that I don't know how to deal with this. But, that's also probably why I'm "babying" her. Anything else I wouldn't indulge temper tantrum because I certainly don't want to reinforce that you get your way by throwing a fit, but this is the one issue that I'm stuck on. She just gets so worked up into a frenzy and just wants a baba to calm herself. But anything else she's pretty good about accepting a "no" answer or redirecting her to a different alternative. 

I'm actually thinking of leaving the bottles in the stocking for Santa so he'll leave her "big girl toys" instead. This TOTALLY worked to get my older daughter off the paci, but she was 2 1/2, and Sofia will be 22 months--perhaps not quite old enough to understand the trade-off. In fact, I tried explaining it to her and gave her the option like I did with my older daughter, "Do you want Santa to bring you baby toys or big girl toys?" And she said, "Baby toys!" lol. So much for that plan!

So, I guess my question is, how to you deal with them crying over the baba w/out breaking your heart and caving in? lol.

Quoting girlintheflock:

sounds like its the baba that could be the issue.  i would start taking the baba away from her unless she is going down for a nap or bed, to start with.  offer her he milk in a sippy cup and see what she does.  she probably will prefer to start eating rather than drink all that milk from a cup.  that is what my daughter did.  good luck!

Jen

Group Owner

Juggling little ones AND deadlines? Meet others who have the best of both worlds as a work-from-home mom. (No classifieds, please.)

girlintheflock
by on Dec. 10, 2009 at 7:56 AM

if you have a church that you belong to, maybe you could "give" the babbas to the little babys with her.  i know i actually just babysat a 3 month old baby and skyla (my daughter who is 26months old) just thought the baby was the "pitty pitty baby", lol.  but she saw that the baby had a pacifier and she asked where hers was.  (we just weened her off of that a few weeks ago).  i told her it was for little babys, not big girls.  anyway it went smooth and then later that evening after the baby had been picked up and we were all just sitting around watching tv, skyla found one of her old pacifiers and brought it over to me and said, "mommy, put this away for when the baby comes back".  i was shocked!  it worked.  maybe you can borrow someone's baby for a few hours or go to your church nursery.  i can't handle the crying either.  i work around it. lol.

Want healthy kids?  Don't rely on Big Pharma.  They profit off of you and your children staying sick!  Empower yourself and through all natural vitamins and supplements, we can take care of our own!! Ask me about holistic and alternative ways to treat your children.

Peace & Love, Emily

www.mynsp.com/healthykidshappymommy

Kari78
by Group Owner on Dec. 11, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Hey Jen!!  :)  "Baby toys," LMAO...that is too funny.

If she hasn't been feeling well lately, I think that could be part of the cause.  Sometimes, especially this season, I feel crappy for a couple weeks before a full-blown cold comes down.  Liam nurses quite a lot when he doesn't feel well, too.  Have you read about raw milk?  It's the healthiest form...raw organic goat milk would be really good for her!

JenE4
by Group Admin on Jan. 4, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Sofia is finally off the bottle! On Christmas Eve she packed up all of her babas and put them in a gift bag for Santa to take to give to her baby cousin Adelynn and left her big girl toys instead. Christmas day was rough, but after a couple of days she stopped asking for her baba and has been fine drinking out of sippy cups, regular cups, straws, etc. Now she's drinking hardly any milk, but since she's almost 2 and I've heard so many negative things about milk (in this group, lol), I'm not worrying about it.

Jen

Group Owner

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)