Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*sigh*

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:50 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 269 Total Views

Soooo..... my son is going to be 9mo. on Thurs. and since he was 5 1/2-6mo. he has been getting baby food, Earths Best, at this point he gets 1-2 RARELY 3 jars a day, sometimes none and just BM...anyway...i read this-> http://ecochildsplay.com/2009/03/13/baby-essentials-that-arent-part-7-baby-food/   article, and from what i get of it, its saying to not feed baby ANY jarred food AT ALL. and only instead, order him (or give him if eating at home) smaller portions of the exact same foods you are eating (as long as they're healthy and not like nuts or something..) ?! is this right??

would it be possible to stop completely w/ the Gerber puffs and the Earths Best #2s (or 3s now..) and instead do this????? would it be as nutritionally full and all of that?? also....my mom will fight me and still want to feed him jar after damn jar (we live w/ her) so ...what should i do? 

BirthAtItsBest.com

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 11:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Kari78
by Group Owner on Dec. 15, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Oh yeah, a lot of moms do that!  Real food like you eat is much more nutritious than baby food...I mean unless you're eating junk food yourself!  Lots of people here never did jarred food or Gerber puffs (myself included).  Making your own baby food, or just giving your kid age-appropriate "real" food is a better way to go, IMO.  I wouldn't like to eat jarred/packaged food all the time, so I don't think a baby would either. 

Check out the wholesomebabyfood.com website, there's a lot of good info on there about making your own.  You don't necessarily have to make baby food, though...you could try giving smaller portions of your own food, like the article suggests.  It just depends on your baby's development and texture issues, if he'll want to eat specific things. 

MommytoJ
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Quoting Kari78:

Oh yeah, a lot of moms do that!  Real food like you eat is much more nutritious than baby food...I mean unless you're eating junk food yourself!  Lots of people here never did jarred food or Gerber puffs (myself included).  Making your own baby food, or just giving your kid age-appropriate "real" food is a better way to go, IMO.  I wouldn't like to eat jarred/packaged food all the time, so I don't think a baby would either. 

Check out the wholesomebabyfood.com website, there's a lot of good info on there about making your own.  You don't necessarily have to make baby food, though...you could try giving smaller portions of your own food, like the article suggests.  It just depends on your baby's development and texture issues, if he'll want to eat specific things.

i printed the 8-10mo. chart from that site & hung it up...will try that w/ no jars for awhile lol(if my mom will!)

BirthAtItsBest.com

Kari78
by Group Owner on Dec. 15, 2009 at 9:59 AM

I think that's a good way to start out!  If he's used to purees, it would probably take him awhile to get used to chunkier things, if you all of a sudden started giving him real food.  I think baby led solids sounds awesome though...I'm going to do that from the start with my next kid.  I'd never heard of it when I had my ds, so I just made my own babyfood.  What that article says makes a LOT of sense.

MommytoJ
by on Dec. 15, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Quoting Kari78:

I think that's a good way to start out!  If he's used to purees, it would probably take him awhile to get used to chunkier things, if you all of a sudden started giving him real food.  I think baby led solids sounds awesome though...I'm going to do that from the start with my next kid.  I'd never heard of it when I had my ds, so I just made my own babyfood.  What that article says makes a LOT of sense.

Yea, his first food ever was mashed potatoes. just...regular ones.. lol. not pureed, and he still loves those the most and peas and stuff. so i think it'll work out i just have to you know, make things lol, i think the problem i feel w/ it is its making him seem like an older child WAY  WAY early :( but i mean either way he has to eat lol

BirthAtItsBest.com

sjk_maybe_mom
by New Member on Dec. 15, 2009 at 1:40 PM

We started with purees but ended up giving our DD (now almost 16 mos.) table food when it seemed appropriate food that she could handle.  She loved it.  In my opinion, it made her a better eater too.  Now that she's getting into that "picky toddler phase" at least we know she'll get something good off her plate each night.  For example, last night I had made meatloaf baked potatoes and peas.  She only wanted the potato and a few peas.  We then supplemented with a pear.  My point is, now that she's becoming pickier, she won't refuse food because of its being "new".  Does that make sense?  I think "real" foods are the way to go when baby's ready for solids.  That said, we still give her an occasional pureed veggie...she adores pureed squash and sweet potatoes, but doesn't care for the real thing.  At least I know I can get a vegetable down her if she doesn't like the one we're having with dinner that night.  I think it's just some give and take and whatever works for your family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)