Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

confused about starting my baby on solids..

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:40 AM
  • 10 Replies
  • 605 Total Views

My DD is about 5 months now and her doc wants her to start eating solids. She told me to start infant rice cereal, and once she gets used to that, introduce baby food. I heard you had to start with fruits, then do veggies. I have been feeding DD some inf rice cereal once in the morning and then once at night before bed. The rest of the feedings are just formula. I dont know when to start feeding her baby food and what to start with. And how often do I feed her? And do I give her formula with it? Before or after? I didn't really get to ask the doc because she is always rushing around and I always forget to ask the most important questions. I just wanna know how yall introduced your baby to solids. What baby food did you start with? How often did you feed her/him? How long did you feed cereal until you switched to baby food? When did you start feeding your baby finger foods? I am just really curious about the whole food transition...

I<3myLexi :)

baby girl

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 1:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nikkinak
by New Member on Jun. 28, 2010 at 6:52 AM

Avocado, beans, sweet potato, bananas, applesauce and pears are all good for babies just beginning to eat solids. You'll want to give solid food maybe an hour or so after formula when first starting out so that your dd isn't too hungry or she may get frustrated. A tablespoon or so is about all she'll need of food at first. Once she is use to the rice cereal you may want to mix a bit of a new food into it when you introduce it because she'll already be accustomed to the texture and may be more accepting of the new food. While starting out 1 meal of solids is sufficient as she's just learning now. As she gets the hang of eating and shows more of an interest in eating you can add a second meal so maybe breakfast and dinner. Don't forget to wait 3 days at least between introducing new foods. Finger foods won't come for a while. hth.

Nikki

Kari78
by Group Owner on Jun. 28, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Check out the wholesomebabyfood.com site!  Nowadays, the general recommendation seems to be to avoid baby cereal altogether, which is what I did.  It makes sense if you think about it...white rice is devoid of any nutritional content, it just fills them up with empty calories.  I started with homemade fruits & veggies, and then when my baby was older, like closer to a year, I added whole grain cereals like brown rice and oatmeal. 

Also, some people don't do purees at all, but rather go straight to finger foods...it's called baby-led weaning (or baby-led solids), and there's a sticky about it.

new_mom808
by Member on Jul. 4, 2010 at 11:28 PM

I waited until DS was 6 months. Skip the cereals, they are constipating and have zero nutritional value. Go right to mashed avacado, bananas, fall squashes, etc.
We did veggies first simply because DS didnt like any fruits for several months. Even bananas he spit out.

abeautifulhope
by New Member on Jul. 6, 2010 at 10:43 PM

I started william on cereal when he was 7 weeks old just once a day. And to begin with it was only a few spoon fulls. Starting at about 2 1/2 to 3 months I started to give him a full serving which is 1/4 cup. At 3 1/2 months I started mixing his cereal with juice and giving him some apple puree with it. Again just a few spoonfulls of the apples. Today, actually (he is 4 months old now) I started his first real solids. He had carrots today. I only started out with 1/2 a serving (that was a mistake tho, I didn't realize that a whole container was a serving....blonde moment. lol*) He loved them. I am using annabel Karmel's book "The healthy baby meal planner" as my guide to starting solids. It is really great and gives you recipies to make your own baby food. I wish you luck! :)

6835667_3149546.jpg USAF wife image by daniraye84

Utrecht
by on Jul. 17, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Quoting abeautifulhope:

I started william on cereal when he was 7 weeks old just once a day. And to begin with it was only a few spoon fulls. Starting at about 2 1/2 to 3 months I started to give him a full serving which is 1/4 cup. At 3 1/2 months I started mixing his cereal with juice and giving him some apple puree with it. Again just a few spoonfulls of the apples. Today, actually (he is 4 months old now) I started his first real solids. He had carrots today. I only started out with 1/2 a serving (that was a mistake tho, I didn't realize that a whole container was a serving....blonde moment. lol*) He loved them. I am using annabel Karmel's book "The healthy baby meal planner" as my guide to starting solids. It is really great and gives you recipies to make your own baby food. I wish you luck! :)

7 weeks? did he have reflux? I had to add bit of thickener to dd bottle becouse of that...

Hannah is not 6 months and we only now are starting with soilds because she had some tummy issues from birth - wanted to give it a chnage to mature properly! Dr said we could start at 4/5 months but I let myself to make desicion. And we started with home made carrots mesh as suggested easy veggie to start with - sweet and simple taste which Hannah loves.

I understand how confusing this is - soo much different info about starting baby feeding solids. I guess you really have to be sensitive to how it goes with your baby and then go from there - should you start now or wait 1 more month, does that consipate her... Good luck!

robynzs
by on Jul. 19, 2010 at 3:26 PM

I am in the midst of BLW with my 7m old - she was ready for solids at 4m - we started with fruit - Pear, Apple, & Banana :)  When we aren't using solids (which is now rare, but about 50/50 at the start, I really like Nature's Best babyfood. Good luck! (the poops get more interesting from her on out :P

supermama68
by New Member on Sep. 3, 2010 at 8:10 PM

At that age I gave my baby solids and then bottles every two hours and then solds 2-3 hours later and then a bottle. I went back and forth between the two and then a bottle before going to bed. She did great like that. Now at 11 months old she gets a bottle if she wakes early morning and sometimes she goes back to sleep but if not then she stays up and has fruit or waffles or pancakes and then a bottle a couple  hours later. I haven't taken her off formula yet.

~*~over 40 mom to three, (1) teenager and (2) younguns....age 7 & baby DD born 9/09

"Control your own thoughts. YOU control your life. Allow YOUR thoughts to run wild, and a wild life will be the result."

Jenneliz
by New Member on Sep. 4, 2010 at 11:47 AM

i started my son on rice cereal at 4 months, but he really didnt take to it to be honest until about 6 months. when he was around 5 months i started giving him baby food, but i started with veggies, because i wanted him to get used to the taste of them before i introduced the sweeter taste of fruits. i mixed it with the cereal. i fed him baby food about an hour and a half after he had a bottle, so he would be a little hungry. there's so much different information out there, and no two moms do the same thing, because no two babies are the same. just pay attention to your baby's cues, that's the best advice i can give you. oh yeah, and wait three days in between introducing new foods to check for allergic reactions.

Mama2BabyTaurus
by on Oct. 24, 2010 at 10:19 PM

I started my daughter on solids at exactly 5 months. I started with green vegetables (Green Beans) and then I did the rest of the vegetables (Squash, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes) and Saturday we started fruits (prunes, bananas, peaches, apples, pears). I do one at a time and stay on that one for 4 days to make sure there is no allergic reaction then I introduce the next one.

Moonbeam2830
by on Nov. 30, 2010 at 11:02 AM

you start with veggies first then fruit and its supposed to be greens then orange..you do one veggie for three days and then go to a different one and so on then once your done with veggiesyou can do fruit....then after that you can give two jars a day one veggie then one fruit.....my lil one is soon to be 13 months thank god am over that already and she didn't start baby food until she was six months old.....

Proud mom of a seven year old,five year old,and 12 month old...

teen girltoddler boybaby girl

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)