Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DD not tolerating cow's milk

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2011 at 12:30 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 443 Total Views
DD will be one year old on Wednesday! We are currently breastfeeding and she also eats solids when we eat (BLW). Last week I put a little cow's milk in her cereal to see how she tolerated it. She seemed ok. That's all she had that day. Next morning DH gave her a sippy cup full of cow's milk! *facepalm* I don't think she drank much of it (maybe 2oz tops), but she had 2 HUGE diarrhea diapers later that morning. Her butt got all red too :( So I said no more for a while.

Yesterday I gave her a cup of 1/2oz cow's milk mixed with 1oz breast milk. Shortly after, she had a huge diarrhea stool :(

So, I'm gonna say she isn't tolerating cow's milk lol. I have plenty of dairy in my diet, so I'm not really sure why she's having trouble.

My question is: should I try soy, rice or almond milk next? Which is the best cow's milk substitute?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 10, 2011 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Kari78
by Group Owner on Sep. 10, 2011 at 10:28 PM

I would say that's to be expected. If she's still nursing, she really doesn't need any other animal's milk...that's what your milk is for! :)  I didn't give my DS any other form of milk until he was 2 yrs old (even though he was still nursing, b/c he saw his dad drinking cow's milk and wanted to try some). When I gave him pasteurized milk, it was diarrhea every time...but when I gave him raw milk, his stomach wasn't bothered at all. That's how milk is meant to be consumed, raw.

As for other milks (soy, rice, almond)...I've found that almond (unsweetened, of course) is the most nutritious, but it really doesn't compare in terms of protein and fat to real milk. I sometimes use that, but just as an option for a cereal topper or a smoothie ingredient...I don't consider it to be a replacement for milk.

gs_gypsy
by New Member on Sep. 12, 2011 at 6:56 AM

Another option may be the lactose free milk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN