Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

22 month old still does not like cow's milk

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 5:50 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 1222 Total Views

I have continued to nurse my 22 month old baby girl ONLY b/c she does not drink or like cow's milk.

She did at one point enjoy pediasure, but not any more.  I REALLY want to stop nursing, but just don't see how my dd will grow and be nourished without SOMETHING!  My oldest daughter Sarah breastfed until she was 12 months and then we handed her a bottle with cow's mlk and it's been fine ever since.  She is 7 now.

What am I going to do about my second child!?!?!?

I do give my daughter cheese and yogurt and things that contain Vitamin D, Calcium, but I still need to find a way to get her to drink SOMETHING!!!

Any advice?

by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 5:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Xandriasmommy
by on Nov. 3, 2011 at 11:30 PM
Actually cows milk is not NEEDED in the diet. I'm sure some of the other ladies can help more, but you just need to make sure she's getting the proper levels of fats, calcium, and vitamin D. You can also try an alternative milk source...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sgoss465
by New Member on Nov. 4, 2011 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Does she drink water? As long as you are getting her to eat the dairy in other forms she doesn't have to drink the cow's milk. And like Xandriasmommy said you can try soy milk, goat milk etc. Her nutrition should be coming from the food she eats anyway.
ycnim
by Member on Nov. 4, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Tried soy milk, almond milk, cocunut milk, pediasure.  She likes for a day or so, but then turns her nose up to it all.  Her fav drink is orange juice.  I drink water ALL THE TIME, but dd not so big on it.  I set  drinks out ever minute I can just to encourage her to drink.  She does eat a lot of grapes and mandarin oranges, so at least she's getting water that way.

Thanks for the tips.

monalisasus
by Member on Nov. 8, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Cows milk is not necessary for humans. As long as shes eating balanced solids diet I see no problem in just giving her water/coconut milk or whatever shes into that day. (not too much juice cuz of sugar imo). Perhaps just nurising at night and in the morning until she self weans will be enough. thats all my one year old wants but she loves water and coconut milk. we recently treid goats milk and shes making weird faces about it, but we just offer her that only and eventually she drinks it. we like to switch things up. 

meandrphoto
by on Nov. 8, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Have you tried goats milk? Will she take breastmilk from a cup? You can start to mix the two until she is used to the flavor. Gradually decreasing the amount of BM she gets.

juniper918
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 2:25 AM

almond milk is a great alternative with NO hormones- and it's very good for them. so long as they dont have a nut allergy- start with the vanilla

jessi2girls
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:03 AM

If she won't drink milk, then don't serve it to her.. by 22 months, so long as she's getting her calcium and vitamin d, through other things, she doesn't need cows milk.. give her water, and/or juice instead. Just make sure she does drink something, preferably water, but juice is fine too so long as it's 100%.. or even try the veggie/fruit juices.. so she doesn't get dehydrated, but milk at that age isn't necessary so long as she gets her vitamin d and calcium in other forms.. its actually better if they can find a supplement, cows milk, too much, can lead to anemia.

AllofFive19
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 1:43 PM

A toddler only needs 2 servings of dairy a day... dairy can be anything, milk, cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese, etc. If she has a 1 oz piece of cheese that's 1 serving.

sassysuie
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Put something in a cup/bottle for her such as juice or water and put up your tata's. Eventually she will get thirsty and have no choice but to drink what is given to her.

DonnaPinitonya
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting ycnim:

Tried soy milk, almond milk, cocunut milk, pediasure.  She likes for a day or so, but then turns her nose up to it all.  Her fav drink is orange juice.  I drink water ALL THE TIME, but dd not so big on it.  I set  drinks out ever minute I can just to encourage her to drink.  She does eat a lot of grapes and mandarin oranges, so at least she's getting water that way.

Thanks for the tips.

It would be harder on you then DD but you can just stop BF and if she is thirsty say here's your water, here's your juice and hand her a sippy. You are describing a decent diet and her body will crave what she needs. She is giving up on the other drinks after a day or 2 because you let her keep nursing. It's great of you to put your daughter first but she is old enough now that her nutrients should come from her food and the nursing could be a comfort thing to her. Try reading a book when she wants to nurse, something just you and her to replace that bonding.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)