Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Opinions on pre-packaged baby foods

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 7:22 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 1600 Total Views
Hello ladies, new to the group, my name is Angie and my DD will be 4 months on Monday. I am currently breastfeeding and trying to read as much info as I can get on weaning, food and nutrition. Just wondering what your opinions were on the various brands of prepackaged foods. I was on diapers.com today looking at their options. I definitely want to go organic and they had several brands, Ella's Kitchen, Plum, Earth's Best. And Earth's Best has gluten in all of theirs, not sure what I think about that yet.
But what brands do you like and why?
I don't plan on starting any food with her until at least 6 months, but I'm still reading up on the baby led weaning.
by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MamaKalila
by New Member on Nov. 19, 2011 at 7:27 PM

I've heard some good things about Plum but honestly I can't really give you an opinion because we don't use them. We did baby led solids with our youngest (started with slices of avocado at 6 months) and pureed our own baby food for our oldest. 

Tangie1118
by New Member on Nov. 19, 2011 at 7:45 PM
Quoting MamaKalila:

I've heard some good things about Plum but honestly I can't really give you an opinion because we don't use them. We did baby led solids with our youngest (started with slices of avocado at 6 months) and pureed our own baby food for our oldest. 

Really contemplating the baby led solids still. Might try reading that book while I'm researching, I've still got a good two months to go. Thanks for your response :-)
monalisasus
by Member on Nov. 19, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Baby led weaning by Gill rapley was the book that convinced me. but form time to time I use Happy tot orgainc green super food (found at target) as a snack. I know Earths best is owned by Gerber(which to me never has babys best interest in mind) and waters down a bit more. 

sgoss465
by New Member on Nov. 20, 2011 at 7:23 AM
I used Plum, Ella and Happy Baby mostly. She was also being offered pieces of things like avocado around 7-8 months. I did start her on solids a little earlier. She was around 5 1/2 months when she had pureed sweet potato.
Tangie1118
by New Member on Nov. 20, 2011 at 11:35 AM
Quoting monalisasus:

Baby led weaning by Gill rapley was the book that convinced me. but form time to time I use Happy tot orgainc green super food (found at target) as a snack. I know Earths best is owned by Gerber(which to me never has babys best interest in mind) and waters down a bit more. 

Well, that officially rules out Earth's Best for me, thank you, I agree completely about what you regarding Gerber. Thanks :-)
new_mom808
by Member on Dec. 27, 2011 at 7:35 PM

They all made me nervous, so we made all of DSs baby food. It really wasnt as hard you you might think, and I work full time. If you're interested, I can give you some tips.

GingerGirl13
by New Member on Dec. 30, 2011 at 4:24 PM
I made our baby food from scratch with fresh fruits & veggies (for me was super easy). I understand that can be intimidating to people but I got a book called Super Baby Food & it told you how & why to make & give babies fresh foods. If you don't have time for that I am a fan of Earths Best. Also may I ask why you question giving the baby gluten? The only reason anyone should avoid gluten is if they are allergic to it.
KITTYCAT1
by on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:01 PM

My son started eating Ella's Kitchen pouches at 12 months as a snack. I made all of his food before that. I like Ella's kitchen better than the other brands because they have more vegetable varieties and they aren't as sweet as the other brands.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)