Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Opinions on pre-packaged baby foods

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 7:22 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 1511 Total Views
Hello ladies, new to the group, my name is Angie and my DD will be 4 months on Monday. I am currently breastfeeding and trying to read as much info as I can get on weaning, food and nutrition. Just wondering what your opinions were on the various brands of prepackaged foods. I was on diapers.com today looking at their options. I definitely want to go organic and they had several brands, Ella's Kitchen, Plum, Earth's Best. And Earth's Best has gluten in all of theirs, not sure what I think about that yet.
But what brands do you like and why?
I don't plan on starting any food with her until at least 6 months, but I'm still reading up on the baby led weaning.
by on Nov. 19, 2011 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MamaKalila
by New Member on Nov. 19, 2011 at 7:27 PM

I've heard some good things about Plum but honestly I can't really give you an opinion because we don't use them. We did baby led solids with our youngest (started with slices of avocado at 6 months) and pureed our own baby food for our oldest. 

Tangie1118
by New Member on Nov. 19, 2011 at 7:45 PM
Quoting MamaKalila:

I've heard some good things about Plum but honestly I can't really give you an opinion because we don't use them. We did baby led solids with our youngest (started with slices of avocado at 6 months) and pureed our own baby food for our oldest. 

Really contemplating the baby led solids still. Might try reading that book while I'm researching, I've still got a good two months to go. Thanks for your response :-)
monalisasus
by Member on Nov. 19, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Baby led weaning by Gill rapley was the book that convinced me. but form time to time I use Happy tot orgainc green super food (found at target) as a snack. I know Earths best is owned by Gerber(which to me never has babys best interest in mind) and waters down a bit more. 

sgoss465
by New Member on Nov. 20, 2011 at 7:23 AM
I used Plum, Ella and Happy Baby mostly. She was also being offered pieces of things like avocado around 7-8 months. I did start her on solids a little earlier. She was around 5 1/2 months when she had pureed sweet potato.
Tangie1118
by New Member on Nov. 20, 2011 at 11:35 AM
Quoting monalisasus:

Baby led weaning by Gill rapley was the book that convinced me. but form time to time I use Happy tot orgainc green super food (found at target) as a snack. I know Earths best is owned by Gerber(which to me never has babys best interest in mind) and waters down a bit more. 

Well, that officially rules out Earth's Best for me, thank you, I agree completely about what you regarding Gerber. Thanks :-)
new_mom808
by Member on Dec. 27, 2011 at 7:35 PM

They all made me nervous, so we made all of DSs baby food. It really wasnt as hard you you might think, and I work full time. If you're interested, I can give you some tips.

GingerGirl13
by New Member on Dec. 30, 2011 at 4:24 PM
I made our baby food from scratch with fresh fruits & veggies (for me was super easy). I understand that can be intimidating to people but I got a book called Super Baby Food & it told you how & why to make & give babies fresh foods. If you don't have time for that I am a fan of Earths Best. Also may I ask why you question giving the baby gluten? The only reason anyone should avoid gluten is if they are allergic to it.
KITTYCAT1
by New Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:01 PM

My son started eating Ella's Kitchen pouches at 12 months as a snack. I made all of his food before that. I like Ella's kitchen better than the other brands because they have more vegetable varieties and they aren't as sweet as the other brands.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)