Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much should my 18 month old be eating?

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 8:13 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 352 Total Views

My son is almost 19 months old and given the opportunity he'll eat more than I do.  I mean, we're talking a lot.  He can easily eat a kid's meal anywhere we go.  He still nurses once a day usually (his choice, I'm following child led weaning).  He has 1 c. of oatmeal mixed with applesauce, cinnamon and raisins for breakfast (not instant).  He also has a cup of almond milk with that and he always wants more!  He can easily eat a full sized burrito or a full sandwhich with fruit.  This just seems like entirely too much food to me.  At his 1 year appointment he weighed 16 lbs and at 18 months he weighed 22 lbs so he's still small.  I give him snacks between meals.  If I don't give him more food when he asks for it he acts like he is starving and has a complete meltdown.  Family members say I'm starving him but he shouldn't be eating as much as an adult right?

Anyways, should I be feeding him until he doesn't want anymore or given his huge appetite should I limit his intake?  I push on his belly and it will be hard but he still wants more food.  I just don't know what to do with him!  And this is an ongoing thing so I know it's not just a growth spurt.

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

Have you experienced a miscarriage or lost a baby during pregnancy? 
For support from other Christian Moms just like you join my group:
http://www.cafemom.com/group/christianloss

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Soccermomtx1
by New Member on Jan. 3, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Well I think you might limit how much eats at once, but feed him more often. My 15 month old will eat a half a pb sandwich, but I would never think about feeding her a whole sandwich. Maybe try a half a sandwich, fruit, cheese slices, and maybe some jello. A little of each item. He sounds like he's a a good weight. Perhaps he's just a really good eater!!! Look out when he's in high school, LOL! Try going to www.wholesometoddlerfood.com There is a chart that shows the types of food and roughly how much they should be eating. Hope this helps!

Kari78
by Group Owner on Jan. 4, 2009 at 10:00 AM

OMG, I did not know there was a wholesometoddlerfood.com site!! That's so awesome, I love wholesomebabyfood.com. I'll have to add it to the Resources, thanks!

Anyhoo... Haha, it sounds like you have the opposite concern of most toddler moms, JasonsMom! I always hear about kids who eat like birds. As far as I have read, the younger kids are, the more in tune they are with their bodies' needs, in terms of eating...because they haven't been "trained" much yet to ignore their hunger or fullness by adults' weird food hangups (such as having meals at set times, eating a set amount, eating specific things at specific times, cajoling/bribing/threatening kids about eating, etc.). I personally would try to trust him that he knows what he's doing, and let him eat how he wants to, even though it must be weird to see him eat so much when all you hear about from other moms is that their toddlers won't eat anything!

Cost of Routine Infant Circumcision:
A) $300-$500 or more
B) 15 sq. in. of skin; ridged band; immunological system; gliding action; lymphatic vessels; blood vessels; length & circumference
C) A person's genital integrity, his right to choose for himself, and his sense of trust in his parents
D) All of the above

Group owner of: Nutrition for Babies & Toddlers, and ~Gentle Discipline~

Daniela707
by New Member on Jan. 5, 2009 at 8:39 AM

My son will be 18months on the 9th and he eats just like your son..He weights 29 pounds but isnt fat.. In my opinion, if he wants that much and can eat it, then give it to him. As long as you have an active lifestyle you don't have to worry about obesity.. All they do is run, they need fuel!! lol  Plus, they grow like weeds!!  Good luck, you not alone!!! lol  

JasonsMom2007
by on Jan. 5, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Thank you!  It's so nice to know I'm not alone.  So many people complain about their kids not eating and I never hear anyone say their child eats like mine!

Quoting Daniela707:

My son will be 18months on the 9th and he eats just like your son..He weights 29 pounds but isnt fat.. In my opinion, if he wants that much and can eat it, then give it to him. As long as you have an active lifestyle you don't have to worry about obesity.. All they do is run, they need fuel!! lol Plus, they grow like weeds!! Good luck, you not alone!!! lol

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

Have you experienced a miscarriage or lost a baby during pregnancy? 
For support from other Christian Moms just like you join my group:
http://www.cafemom.com/group/christianloss

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)