Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nuts?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:04 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 233 Total Views

Okay I know peanuts are highly allergenic, and I've heard recommendations to keep kids away from them until they're as old as SEVEN years old!  I don't know if I'll go that long, haha.  But anyway, I'm wondering about tree nuts in general.  I've read they're very allergenic also, but have seen elsewhere that people do give nut products to young toddlers.  I'm especially interested in almond milk and almond butter.  When would that be considered safe??

Cost of Routine Infant Circumcision:
A) $300-$500 or more
B) 15 sq. in. of skin; ridged band; immunological system; gliding action; lymphatic vessels; blood vessels; length & circumference
C) A person's genital integrity, his right to choose for himself, and his sense of trust in his parents
D) All of the above

Group owner of: Nutrition for Babies & Toddlers

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
JenE4
by Group Admin on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:29 PM

My 9-year-old is SEVERELY allergic. I gave him peanut butter sandwiches when he was a toddler, and he seemed fine. But then one day when he was just under 2 he had a peanut butter cookie and blew up in a rash and couldn't breathe. He's accidentally had peanuts (or even was too close to peanuts!) a couple of times (never when I was there), and he's at the "deadly" range of the allergy. At that time, he wasn't allergic to tree nuts, but over the last couple of years slowly developed allergies to several of them (hazlenuts, pecans, pistachios). So, with nut allergies, it is NOT as easy as the other food introductions where you wait a couple days and you're fine. They can develop over years. Since I have first-hand experience, I would NOT give any type of nut product to Sofia. When she's about school age I'll consult the allergist about trying some. But in the meantime, I'm playing it safe and not giving her anything that I wouldn't give Wyatt. It's so not worth the risk. Nut allergies are by far the deadliest food allergy--and they have become SO common nowadays.

Jen
Mom to Emma, 12, Wyatt, 9, and baby Sofia...

babies

Group Owner Home Office: www.cafemom.com/group/homeoffice
Juggling little ones AND deadlines? Meet others who have the best of both worlds as a work-from-home mom. (No classifieds, please.)

Kari78
by Group Owner on Jan. 27, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Oh wow, that is scary!  So the older they are before they have nuts, the better.  How old do you think he should be before I try, say, almonds?  Like 2? 3?  Even older?

Cost of Routine Infant Circumcision:
A) $300-$500 or more
B) 15 sq. in. of skin; ridged band; immunological system; gliding action; lymphatic vessels; blood vessels; length & circumference
C) A person's genital integrity, his right to choose for himself, and his sense of trust in his parents
D) All of the above

Group owner of: Nutrition for Babies & Toddlers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)