Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting 17 month old to eat more veggies?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:05 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 316 Total Views

My little girl is such a carb addict!  She was very good about eating her veggies when I first inroduced solids but somewhere during the switch from purees to table food her enthusiasm for veg has disapeared.  I have to really sneak them in, luckily she will eat them with tomatoes like in ratatoule and she still loves mashed cauliflower.  I'm half tempted to go back to veggie purrees and give them as dips and sauces. 

Any tips for getting her to eat whole veggies? Is it normal for some 17 month olds to still prefer their veggies minced (she'll sometimes eat carrots if I give them a quick chop in the food processor)? 

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JenE4
by Group Admin on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:18 PM

It sounds like you have very good ideas: mincing them, using in dips and sauces, hiding in dishes. I don't think you need our advice, lol, but, yeah, it seems normal for toddlers to get picky. I'm big on putting Sofia's veggies in scrambled eggs, spinach especially. I haven't done purees in a while, but I would definitely make a veggie puree pasta sauce for a little carbaholic--I'll have to start doing that! Also, maybe spread purees on bread/sandwiches?

Jen
Mom to Emma, 13; Wyatt, 10; and baby Sofia...babies

Group Owner
Home Office: www.cafemom.com/group/homeoffice

Juggling little ones AND deadlines? Meet others who have the best of both worlds as a work-from-home mom. (No classifieds, please.)

ms.marlena
by New Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Thank you for the reassurance! I just feel out of ideas sometimes and wonder what I did wrong when I can only get her to eat a PBJ!

Quoting JenE4:

It sounds like you have very good ideas: mincing them, using in dips and sauces, hiding in dishes. I don't think you need our advice, lol, but, yeah, it seems normal for toddlers to get picky. I'm big on putting Sofia's veggies in scrambled eggs, spinach especially. I haven't done purees in a while, but I would definitely make a veggie puree pasta sauce for a little carbaholic--I'll have to start doing that! Also, maybe spread purees on bread/sandwiches?

Kari78
by Group Owner on Aug. 31, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Lots of whole veggies are still too dense and fibrous for many 17-monthers to be able to eat well, IMO.  If something takes a whole lot of chewing, mine won't eat it either...I think it's partially a self-protection kind of thing (avoids a choking risk).  He does like the taste of many veggies; they just have to be in a form where he can eat them easily.  For instance, spinach and zucchini squash cooked into a baked ziti casserole...things like that.  Casseroles, soups, dips, pastas, and gratins in general are very appealing to mine, because the veggies are generally in smaller pieces, well-cooked, and easier for him to eat than just a big ol' chunk of vegetable.

And if it's any encouragement, mine is now over 18 months, and he's getting much less picky these days than he was even a month ago!  He'll try just about anything, and it surprises me the things he likes.

Paige886
by New Member on Sep. 1, 2009 at 4:30 PM

My twins (22 months) go in and out phases on what seems like a daily basis when it comes to their veggies. One day they'll scarf all their green beans and scream for more, the next day they throw them all on the floor! Drives me bonkers. I just keep offering it to them. I also give them their veggies first, and don't even let them see the other stuff I have prepared for them until they've at least eaten some if not all of it. I make a green puree every month that I hide in at least one or two meals a day, just to make sure they still get the nutrients on those days that everything ends up on the floor. I put it in their scrambled eggs, grilled cheese, quesadillas, yogurt, toss their past in a little with a dab of butter and parmesan- they love it and I feel better!

campomommy
by New Member on Sep. 1, 2009 at 4:40 PM

my son only eats fresh veggies he doesnt like anything cooked. his fav thing is broccoli. my mil used to grow it in her garden and he would go out and pick and eat it right off the plant. anyway try that, take her into the produce section and let her pick out some fun looking stuff and since veggies have dumb names, give them fun names as they get older, we call broccoli ''little trees''  and hey btw, you have some great ideas too the dips and such, genius

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
Kayere
by Member on Sep. 1, 2009 at 4:46 PM

lol I know alllll kinds of tricks for this!! My 21 mo still eats purees. Just spinach and squash. And i slip them in between his bites, or add some cereal to thicken it up and let him feed himself.

Have you tried raw spinach? I thought my kid would NEVER touch it raw but I foudn out just a few weeks ago that he loves it raw. Just grabs handfuls and eats it

I also will make a little mexican dish modified for him. You just take corn dough mix ( used for tortillas, just add water and mix it up) and Ill make him torillas. You need a tortilla presser which is pretty cheap. It takes some practice but you just slip some chopped spinach in the mix, throw them on a skillet to cook a little. Then you have torillas with spinach and your kid cant tell. Or Ill take the chopped spinach in the torilla then fold it over and throw it on a skillet. So its like an apple turn over, but it has veggies in it.

Ill take a piece of bread, spread some mashed beans on it ( i mix some chopped spinach in with the beans) fold it over, hand it to him, he loves it.

Chop sweet potatoes up into french fries. Put soem kind of oil on it with salt, throw it in the oven at 350 untill they are soft. ( i use coconut oil and sea salt)

I boil ( yes, not as healthy as steamed but it works) broccolli and califlower then just hand it to him like that and hell feed it to himself.

Ill give him cottage cheese with some spinach.

Ill scramble eggs and throw some chopped spinach in

Lol pretty much, with everything your kid eats, sit down for a minute and think.. now.. how can I fit something more in this meal? lol its not that hard once you start getting teh hang of it. Start out with foods that easily cover up teh flavor.. then start pushing things that dont. It takes time but dont get frustrated if it bgets refused. My son will refuse something one meal then eat it the next one.. i just tell him he is going to eat it later and throw it back in teh fridge.

chundley
by on Sep. 3, 2009 at 9:53 PM

I have this problem as well but it's with my hubby and not my 17 month old!!  My son loves veggies and everything else.  There is a cook book called the Sneaky Chef that hides veggies in foods, like cauliflower in brownies.  I'll probably end up getting it and trying it out on my hubby.  Today I made lasagna and I added mushrooms, zucchini, green peppers, and onions chopped really finely and it was a hit with both boys.  I would add finely chopped veggies to anything with a sauce also.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)