• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

where do i start?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:18 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 326 Total Views

im thinking about homeschool dd when we move to indiana because her bday is after the kindergarten cut off. i dont know where to go from wanting to do it to actually doing it. where do i find out what she has to learn, etc.?

armybridebaby girltoddler girl

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
kristyn165
by on Jun. 19, 2009 at 11:26 PM

Where in Indiana are you moving too? I have found a few really good groups here on cafe mom for homeschooling that have given me a world of knowledge.  Also the Internet is a wonderful thing.  Just search homeschooling Indiana and it will bring up a ton of sites, for Indiana home school laws, curriculum, etc.   Good luck!!

heatherevantara
by on Jul. 23, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Hi! I am from Indiana too! 

You can go on line and get the "what they should know by the end of Kindergarten" list.  If you go to your counties school site they usually have it listed.  Indiana is very homeschooler friendly, you mainly need to keep track of your days homeschooled, 180 per year, and that's about it.  I keep a homeschool journal so I have it in writing just in case they would ever question it.  I liked the Spectrum books for kindergarten,  You can get those at Waldons or Borders for about 9 dollars each.  They have them to cover each subject and are fun for the kids.  The local library has great info too.  What part of Indiana are you moving too?  I live in Columbus.  Greenwood has a great educations store for supplies and half priced books has a section for homeschool books.  Let me know if I can be of help!  Kim

Aingls
by New Member on Aug. 10, 2009 at 9:26 AM

The other ladies gave some good advice!

I personally started out looking up all of Indiana's laws, then looked for the curriculum that I would use.  There is a ton of stuff out there, and it's very easy to get overwhelmed.  I would join as many groups in the area that you can, and also any online groups, too.  I really like the Happy Homeschoolers group on cafemom.  Once you understand all of the laws, and have your curriculum, then all you have to do is do it!  Get a good planner to plan out a week at a time.  If you do more, you could go at a faster or slower pace than what you planned on and have to redo your schedule.

Good luck and have fun!  You are giving your daughter an awesome opportunity!

Libertarian Moms

Gayle (26) PJ (30) Alyssa (8) Dakota (2)    My Blog

CAarmywife
by on Aug. 10, 2009 at 10:00 AM

we will be moving to whereever the u of indiana is (if dh gets accepted). army gave him 3 options for school and he doesnt want to go to the other schools so hopefully its indiana.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)