Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Introduce Yourself Here!

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:08 PM
  • 84 Replies
  • 1173 Total Views

Hello everyone!

As stated in the bulletin we just sent out, let's get reacquainted with one another.  Please feel free to say a few words about yourself, as well as where you are on your healthy living journey.

If you have needs and questions, please start a new post in the General Discussions Forum entitled as such. We'll be happy to answer your questions.

We look forward to getting to know you!

Abby & Cassandra

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
QueenieAbby
by Admin on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Hello Everyone!

I'm so excited to be back on CafeMom.  The last several months... actually last couple of years... have been crazy hectic for me.  I've just been going crazy with business, children's activities, and the usual "Mom" stuff. I have been visiting colleges with my senior in high school. It seems like I just got over this process with my middle child who is now a college sophomore. Applications for college and scholarships are growing out of my ears.  surprise  I also have a 24 year old autistic daughter who I've been trying to move from a rest home to a small women's group home.  She is mostly the reason why I've been absent from CafeMom as she took a turn for the worse physically for about a year.  She is better now though. 

To know me a bit more, I have been married to a wonderful man for 20 years and have three beautiful daughters.  I work part-time for Ford, Lincoln, and Roush. I am also a part-time fitness and sports nutritionist and personal trainer. I love working out, but I love nutrition even more!  smile  I'm now in my mid-40s, but I have been into health since I was 17.  Though I had lots of health issues in my mid to late 20s... diagnosed with cancer, Multiple Sclerosis (MS), and hypothyroidism.  I never thought I would see age 30, but here I am!  wink  I was cured of cancer when doctors told me I wouldn't live to see 30.  My MS diagnosis was overturned after 3 years because it turned out that a food additive was mimicking MS symptoms.  And recently, I was taken off thyroid medication though my doctor said that I would be on it for the rest of my life.  How did I overcome?  I'd have to that the man upstairs must have been looking out for me for one.  LOL.  But, I know that nutrition had a GREAT deal to do with my healing. After my MS diagnosis, I began studying nutrition, researching medical journals, and tried to educate myself as much as possible.  I love it!  I don't know what's in the works for each human being, but I do know that nutrition can play a huge role in how one may feel physically and mentally.  The funny thing is the more I learn, the more I feel I know less.  LOL.  But, I will continue to enjoy my path of learning.

I love exercise, but it is my downfall as well.  When my schedule is busy, it's probably the first thing I take off my daily agenda.  So, I'm counting on great friends here to keep me accountable.  wink

Other than my love for nutrition and exercise, I love cooking, gardening, hiking, reading, and watching a good movie. 

I look forward to getting to know everyone here.

Abby

FibroMom1957
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi I haven't been active on CafeMom for about a year. I have had some health issues and trying to get myself back in shape. It has been an uphill battle. I am concentrating on eating healthy and getting myself more active. Just when I get to feeling better some new thing happens and interrupts my workout schedule. Right now I am taking care of my Mom and sister who are both laid up right now. I am also getting ready to have a breat reduction on November 6st. I have wanted to do this for years. I am very uncomfortable and it is causing severe neck and upper back pain so my dr. feels it is worth the surgery. So that will lay me up about 4-6 wks. I plan on getting my diet in control during that time.

sammygrl77
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:33 AM
Hi. I've been battling my weight for 5 years. I used to be the skinny one, but that all changed after I gave birth to twins. I have some mental health issues like depression and anxiety. The medication has been making it impossible to lose weight. I'm not really big on exercise so motivation on that end is lacking. I get frustrated easily because it seems no matter what I do, I can't lose weight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QueenieAbby
by Admin on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Hi Tricia!  I remember you.  wink  I'm sorry to hear about all the health issues and your mom.  Cass and I are here for you whenever you need.  I'm surprised about the breast reduction.  I so could use the opposite.  smile

~ Abby Campbell, BSc, ISSA FNS & SSN, ACT CPT

"Food can be used as a poison or a prescription. Why not use it as a prescription for good health? Learn a healthy lifestyle with www.911BodyResQ.com!"

QueenieAbby
by Admin on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi Sammy.  I'm sorry to hear about the struggles with weight loss due to the meds.  I understand as I have a 24 year old on similar meds.  The problem is that some of these meds are considered "excitotoxins" or "neurotoxins."  It is very difficult to lose weight on them.  I don't know if your med(s) are in this category, but it's something you may want to check on with your doctor.  If they are, maybe there is another med that isn't in this category and may help.  In any event, we're here for you every step of the way.  smile

~ Abby Campbell, BSc, ISSA FNS & SSN, ACT CPT

"Food can be used as a poison or a prescription. Why not use it as a prescription for good health? Learn a healthy lifestyle with www.911BodyResQ.com!"

big_red05
by Head Admin on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Hello everyone :)

I am a mother of three, living abroad in Germany. I have always loved fitness, but after the birth of my second kid I found myself very out of shape and overweight! I was very miserable and wanted to change but felt overwhelmed as my husband travelled for work and I worked full time as well... How could I possibly balence it all? I found ways to work it in around (and with) my kids and I met Abby who taught me a LOT about nutrition..adapting clean eating principles and working out I was able to drop 60lbs! Of course I got pregnat again when I was just about to my goal but I didn't gain as much weight because I still applied clean eating principles, and worked out lightly thru my pregnancy... I'm still a work in progress but I don't focus on the weight as much as I focus on how I look an feel :) I also train for races as a way to get/stay in shape.. After my second child I did a sprint triathlon and two half marathons as well as a ton of races between the 5k-half marathon range... It really changed the way I view myself!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
big_red05
by Head Admin on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:13 AM
Hey Tricia glad to see you! I know you have had a lot of ups and downs.. I wish you a speedy recovery from your reduction an hope it helps you! I'm with Abby I need the opposite! ;)

Quoting FibroMom1957:

Hi I haven't been active on CafeMom for about a year. I have had some health issues and trying to get myself back in shape. It has been an uphill battle. I am concentrating on eating healthy and getting myself more active. Just when I get to feeling better some new thing happens and interrupts my workout schedule. Right now I am taking care of my Mom and sister who are both laid up right now. I am also getting ready to have a breat reduction on November 6st. I have wanted to do this for years. I am very uncomfortable and it is causing severe neck and upper back pain so my dr. feels it is worth the surgery. So that will lay me up about 4-6 wks. I plan on getting my diet in control during that time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
big_red05
by Head Admin on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Hey!

Congratulatins on the twins! Sorry to hear you have been struggling! Like Abby said we are here for you every step to help get you in the right direction! I think Abby hit it on the head when she suggested your meds might be a big factor especially if they fall in a specific category, but dont lose hope! Where there is a will there is a way ;)

Quoting sammygrl77:

Hi. I've been battling my weight for 5 years. I used to be the skinny one, but that all changed after I gave birth to twins. I have some mental health issues like depression and anxiety. The medication has been making it impossible to lose weight. I'm not really big on exercise so motivation on that end is lacking. I get frustrated easily because it seems no matter what I do, I can't lose weight.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyintraining
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Hello all! My name is Corinna. I have been married to DH for 8+ yrs. We have 3 children who are all turning 2y, 13y & 7y with in the next 3 months! I am a geriatric nurse who works 2 evenings a week and weekends in opposition to my DH so that one of us can be home w/ the children. In addition, I have always seemed to struggle w/ my weight as a result of type 2 DM and after the birth of my last 2 children. I just turned 39 and I was in excellent shape during and right after my pregnancies....it's when I began the nursing journey that I pack on the pounds! W/ each last 2 children I put on about 40lbs while nursing. When I weaned them, each time I lost about 1/2 but kept the rest on....so, now I am approx 40lbs overweight as a result! I lack motivation mostly so, I am hoping to find encouragement and support in this group! Im not getting any younger and would really like to not be an overweight 40 yo w/ no energy who feels like crap all the time! I had lost 68lbs back in my 20's when dx w/ type 2 DM so, I know it's possible, just not as easy at this age. Thanks for reading! Looking forward to making friendships and begining a most needed journey to get myself healthy again!

i_am_sum1
by New Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Hello All

My name is Michelle.  I have been married to my dh for 12 years and we have 2 daughters.  I had some health issues but now that they have been taken care of I have come to the realization that I have picked up about 50 extra pounds.  I join this group to make lots of friends and to get the motivation and possibly help to motivate others as well.  Its gonna be a great journey not always fun but definatley worth the effort!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN