Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Power Yoga Anyone?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:13 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 216 Total Views

Good morning, Ladies!

Yesterday was a rest day for me, so there was no workout. However, I did watch a video with my yoga instructor. I've never been into yoga before.  It just was not my thing. I had tried it, and it was just uck. Well, now that I'm getting older... now that I've been so busy and stressed... now that I'm ready to start slowing down and stop acting like a teenager who is on a power trip with weightlifting (ha!)... I am ready to venture into something new. One of my girlfriends who is also in her 40s has been a figure competitor for many years, and she also loves yoga. She told me about a particular type of yoga called Baptiste Vinyasa Power Yoga. Upon her recommendations, I ordered the book and level 1 video.  I'm still reading the book, but I watched the video.  Let me tell you, I'm intimidated by this whole "power yoga" thing. The good thing is that the instructor says that it's different from other types of yogas that are very strict in posture and such. But, this yoga is about freedom and relaxing the mind... finding peace.  So, I'm looking forward to it... just not ready to do the pose below.  LOL!

Today's schedule includes 40 minutes of steady state low/medium cardio on the elliptical, as well as a full-body weight training.

My meals look like this:

• Breakfast - 1 egg, 3 egg whites, chopped onions, spinach, and sweet red chili pepper
  • Lunch - leftover steak sliced up and stir-fried with bell peppers and onions in a little EVOO
  • Mid-Afternoon Snack - low-carb protein shake, 1/2 small apple, and 2 TBS. walnuts
  • Dinner - Turkey burger, large salad with flaxseed oil
  • Evening Snack - low-fat cottage cheese mixed with blueberries and 2 TBS. walnuts

Feel free to start a new thread with your daily meals and workout.  wink

~ Abby Campbell, BSc, ISSA FNS & SSN, ACT CPT

"Food can be used as a poison or a prescription. Why not use it as a prescription for good health? Learn a healthy lifestyle with www.911BodyResQ.com and AbbyCampbellOnline.com!"  Connect with me on Facebook!

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
iamcafemom83
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this
I recently discovered yoga. My friend had recently started doing it and loved it. She invited me to come with and I. Am. In. Love!

The first class was a power yoga class...we did a couple small moves with the abs....my core was sore for 3 days after, I was pretty amazed by that!

The classes have been at the gym so far and I'm sorry I don't the types but I've done power and "regular" really relaxing yoga.

I wish I had been doing it all along. I think it is an amazing thing to add to a strength training regimen.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
big_red05
by Head Admin on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I really want to add yoga into my regimine but I am so busy I barley have time to do basic workouts (although ironically Iknow the stress releif from the yoga would help me a lot!!)

cmorris1200
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

My trainer is also a yoga instructor.  She plans for this week to incorporate yoga into the workout she has planned.

turtledove91024
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I love how I feel after doing yoga. I don't do it much but should try to get more of it in. Def. a good thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)