Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

planning to breast feed..lose weight and work out ....

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:33 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 165 Total Views
I was pretty fit before.... but have about 50 lbs to lose after baby. I will be breastfeeding and working out. I want to lose weight and keep my milk supply up. Any pointers.... no one seems to know anything so I am asking you guys :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
big_red05
by Head Admin on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I am breast feeding, and I workout and I have lost 50 lbs :)

the best pointers are to eat healthy, stay away from processed foods eat plenty of lean protien, healhty fats, lots of fruits and veggies and stick to sweet potatoes, brown rice and oats for whole grains

I eat 5-6 times a day, just small meals to keep my metabolism going and to make sure I have energy

drink lots of water! don't get deydrated its bad for your supply ;)

make sure you eat enough! I was eating around 2200 calories at first but now I'm down to eating 1800-2000

food is fuel and if you dont eat enough you won't be able to lose, and with breast feeding it will damage your supply :) a good rule of thumb is to eat your weight x 11-12 and go from there

as far as exercise you can do anything, I run and lift weights, and I've been doing some mma type workouts my daughter doesnt' take a bottle so I have to plan my exercise around her eating but now that she is 9 months its a bit easier since she eats some solids as well 

cmorris1200
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Great reminder about the water.  I keep a 32 oz water bottle so it is easier to remember to fill it 2  times(or 3 in my case).  When I have only a regular water glass I never drink enough.

ShortMommytobe
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Baby Mel

Well i planned to breastfeed, but my newest LO came early (35 weeks) she is still in nicu but doing well... Ive lost 10 pounds, i guess from all the pumping and water lol..i had a c-section but waiting to get okay from doc before i start working out, and i cant wait :)
big_red05
by Head Admin on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:00 AM
1 mom liked this
What a cutie!! Congratulations!

Quoting ShortMommytobe:

Baby Mel

Well i planned to breastfeed, but my newest LO came early (35 weeks) she is still in nicu but doing well... Ive lost 10 pounds, i guess from all the pumping and water lol..i had a c-section but waiting to get okay from doc before i start working out, and i cant wait :)

collinsmommy0
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 5:52 PM
The breastfeeding group should have some advice.

Basically it's safe to work out. However, after I had DS I worked out too much/too intense & got some clogged ducts. BUT that was from rock climbing & intense yoga (that I wasn't really ready for & irritated my shoulder tendinitis)

You can walk after having baby until your pp appointment. Good luck!
big_red05
by Head Admin on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:30 AM

clogged ducts aren't from working out too intensly\, but could be from the type of bra/clothes you wore while working out. 

Quoting collinsmommy0:

The breastfeeding group should have some advice.

Basically it's safe to work out. However, after I had DS I worked out too much/too intense & got some clogged ducts. BUT that was from rock climbing & intense yoga (that I wasn't really ready for & irritated my shoulder tendinitis)

You can walk after having baby until your pp appointment. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)