Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Plateau?

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 147 Total Views

Ok ladies, I need some help/advice here....I have lost 15lbs down from 181lbs. I have been working out x5/wk mon-fri w/ sat/sun off. Ive limit my carbs a ton, eat healthy clean food and often, every 3 hrs or so. My meals have been reduced also considerably, cause Im eating more often and just do not require as much to feel full when meal time comes. Ok, so my exercises have been different everyday from a 2.5mile run, tae bo, brazillian buttlift vidoes to p90x...I like variety. My workouts are any where from 45min - 1 1/2 hrs depending on if it falls on a weights day which are mon/wed/fri when I do both cardio and weights....Ive not lost an oz in a week and actually have put back on three pounds.....any thoughts???

by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
big_red05
by Head Admin on Mar. 12, 2013 at 4:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Your body goes through natural changes, you could have something hormonal going on (like pms or ovulation) or it could be inflammation... This happens when our body is stressed from working out and very common.. Make sure you are eating anti inflammatory foods (like healthy fats high in omega 3) and leafy greens

The scale is such a bad method of keepin track of weight loss as there are so many factors tht can cause gains that do NOT mean you are getting bigger aka gaining fat! Have you taken pics/measurements to see your progress?

Also sometimes our bodies need an extra rest.. Even elite athletes often train hard for three weeks and take an easy active recovery week

Also I'm not sure what you mean by "limiting carbs" it is good to limit starchy carbs to one serving after a workout but you should also be making sure you eat a lot of veggies and fruits (with a 4 veggie to one fruit ratio) some people limit starchy carbs and don't eat many veggies and fruits so they are not getting enough

Give it another week an see what happens ;) it's easy to get discouraged I know but there is no reason to :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommyintraining
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for your reply! By carbs, I mean only those in pastas/breads. My body does not like either! I feel bloated and sluggish. When I do eat them, rarely, they are multi grain only....the whole wheat makes me sore everywhwere! What a difference since ive cut whole wheat out of my diet! I eat a diet similar to an asian diet because my body just LOVES it! TONS of veggies both raw and sauteed in olive oil. Sushi, no cooked fish...lots of chicken and lean turkey instead of red meat. I could def start taking my omega supps again and drinking my green tea like I used to, both helpful w/ anti anflammatory, so, thanks for that reminder! ;) Yeah, I take pics around every 6 weeks and not only see HUGE differences but also in my clothing...ive gone down 2 pant sizes! I will def take into consideration the not depending on the scale as u r right and that can be very discouraging! I dont know if I mentioned this but I dont work out at all on sat/sun. I work 12hr shifts on those days and those are not very active days either... those days I consider a break for my body. I am wondering if the videos are just not enough anymore as I find that I get a much more and intense workout running instead...? Thanks again for your reply!! Much appreciated! ;)

QueenieAbby
by Admin on Mar. 12, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

From everything you've said, it sounds like you are on the right track. Your foods, exercise, and rest are right on target. The only thing that I caught in your comments is that you are on a "very low-carb" diet. However, it does sound like you are just eliminating some of the starches like wheat. More and more people are eliminating wheat and other gluten products. You may have a gluten intolerance, so eliminating these foods is good. Besides, many of the whole grains are now genetically modified which causes bodily inflammation.  However, eliminating all starchy carbs can lower your thyroid production as well as cause metabolism decline. I'm not sure if you're completely eliminating starchy carbs, but I would include them in your diet at least 1-2 times per week while you are trying to lose. This will boost your metabolism and help you to continue losing. wink

Jillandv
by New Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I had the SAME issues this summer. Once i stopped weighing myself everyday and stopped worring about my weight loss, i felt like it just started coming off. The thing i changed up from the beginning of summer to now is i started lifting weights and drinking water like it was going out of style! Want to try a great workout? Try CrossFit! I am in love!!

Andrea.bansil
by New Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:24 PM

plateau could mean your not meeting your calorie intake...you might need to raise it a coupple hundred calories to break it and make sureyour eating every 2-3 hours 5-6 times a day

big_red05
by Head Admin on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Stress plays a HUGE part of it people dont realize! And it's hard.. We want to lose weight, we want to know the work we are doing is payin off.. Once we can learn to let go and just love ourselves it makes a big difference!

Quoting Jillandv:

I had the SAME issues this summer. Once i stopped weighing myself everyday and stopped worring about my weight loss, i felt like it just started coming off. The thing i changed up from the beginning of summer to now is i started lifting weights and drinking water like it was going out of style! Want to try a great workout? Try CrossFit! I am in love!!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)