Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How healthy/not healthy is this diet?

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 5:50 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 113 Total Views
DH started this diet 2 weeks ago. I think he's going through a midlife crisis or something - he's 5'9" & weighs 150, so not overweight, no health conditions.

The diet is eating only meat, eggs, and milk products. He eats less than 1 serving of veggies per day & is eating peanut butter as well.

That's all he is eating. Nothing else. Bacon, eggs cooked in heavy cream, sausage, beef patties, cheese, salmon & cream cheese.....that's all he eats, oh & peanut butter & cheese. Maybe a few leaves of spinach. That's his food for the day.

This turns his body into a state of starvation, which he is happy about. He's had behavior changes - lots of super hyper 'highs' & then low key times, and is super irritable.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
big_red05
by Head Admin on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:28 AM

That is very unhealthy... where did he find this?? your body going into a state of starvation is BAD it messes with your metabolism and your thyroid.. which can cause a slew of other medical issues, including WEIGHT GAIN!

Veggies are important for nutrition and your metabolism... why isnt' he eating any?

Plys all that high fat food with out anything to balence it out really isn't good... any diet that isnt' balenced is "bad" and unhealthy in my book...

collinsmommy0
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:08 PM
That's what I've been telling him. I also found that the AMA doesn't recommend any Atkins-type diet (which this is, sort of) & that Atkins type diets lead to heart disease, stroke, and kidney issues. I also found a study that said you gain back the weight plus more when you go off the diet.

I think he's lost his mind - he's always lived by the philosophy of 'eat healthy, exercise lots, to be healthy'. Yet this diet says exercise is bad to do, especially exercise that gets your heart going (ummm gee maybe because its building up bad cholesterol?)

Anyways thanks for the reply. I'm really upset with him over it & he doesn't understand why.

Quoting big_red05:That is very unhealthy... where did he find this?? your body going into a state of starvation is BAD it messes with your metabolism and your thyroid.. which can cause a slew of other medical issues, including WEIGHT GAIN!
Veggies are important for nutrition and your metabolism... why isnt' he eating any?
Plys all that high fat food with out anything to balence it out really isn't good... any diet that isnt' balenced is "bad" and unhealthy in my book...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SweetCharisma
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Sounds like a very high protein, very low carb diet. This equals bad news I believe. I have heard of other people doing this same thing and they turned out alright but your body needs certain nutrients that you don't get from those types of diets. While protein is very important to the body as it gives the body fuel, carbs (good carbs) are just as important too. 

Maybe do some reserch on the internet and see what you come up with and then show him. Good luck!

MrsPeterkin
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Wow that is so unhealthy, fruits and veggies should be the foundation of your daily diet. They cleanse, detox and keep you healthy. Clean lean meat is okay and free range eggs but processed milk products, unhealthy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)