Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tweezing eyebrows

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:50 AM
  • 24 Replies
  • 1037 Total Views

ASA Sisters,

I am a new Muslim =) and enjoy reading about my faith and came across this article on muslimconverts.com and was shocked to see that eye brow tweezing is Haraam, what are your thoughts on this?

is is changing the creation of Allaah which the Shaytaan promised to enjoin up

Shaykh Muhammad al-Saalih ibn ‘Uthaymeen said: 

With regard to hair which is abnormal, because it grows in places where hair does not usually grow, such as a woman having a moustache or hair growing on her cheeks, there is nothing wrong with removing this, because it is abnormal and is disfiguring to the woman. 

The Standing Committee was asked about women removing facial hair, and they replied as follows: 

It is OK for a woman to remove hair on the upper lip, thighs, calves and arms. This is not the same as plucking (eyebrows), which is forbidden. 

‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz, ‘Abd al-Razzaaq ‘Afeefi, ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Ghadyaan, ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Qa’ood

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/194, 195 

The Standing Committee was also asked: 

What is the ruling on a woman removing hair from her body; if it is permissible, then who is allowed to do that for her? 

They answered: 

It is permissible for her (to remove) everything except her eyebrows and the hair on her head; it is not permissible for her to remove those, or to remove anything from the eyebrows whether by shaving or any other means. She, her husband or one of her mahrams may do that for her, with regard to the parts of the body that they are permitted to see; or another woman may do that, with regard to the parts of the body that she is permitted to see 

‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz, ‘Abd al-Razzaaq ‘Afeefi, ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Ghadyaan, ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Qa’ood

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/194 

The hair of the private parts and the thighs may not be seen by either another woman or a mahram. 

It is forbidden for a woman to remove her eyebrows or part of them by any means, whether it be by shaving, cutting, using a depilatory substance, because this constitutes the plucking for which the Prophet [an error occurred while processing this directive] (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who does it, i.e., the women who plucks all or part of her eyebrows, claiming that it is for the purpose of beautification, or the woman who does that for her. Thon the sons of Adam

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 11:58 AM

wa alaikum assalaam dear sister,

yes, tweezing eyebrows is haram.  and once there is evidence from Quran and Sunnah about something being haram , then there is no room for personal "thoughts" about it.  there is no room for opinion. because the ruling is clear.

however, You are a new Muslimah, a brand new Shahaadah,,  I really do commend you on educating  yourself in Islam. but I caution you from overwhelming yourself too soon. concentrate now on what makes your faith stronger, like prayer and Quran... learn the basics. and little by little, as your faith becomes stronger. other things, like tweezing, makeup, ..etc. fall right into place. effortlessly.

take baby steps, that's ok. masha' Allah for you if you can be stronger. but dont' feel that you have to learn everything right now. give yourself a chance to grow into the faith at a pace that makes you stronger in it insha 'Allah.

jazaaki Allahu khairan for the fatwa.

I just want to add that if there is hair in the nose connecting both brows. it is ok to remove that hair, as it is NOT part of the brow.

love you all for the sake of Allah and leave you in His trusted care.

if I speak in error then it is from me, may Allah forgive me and guide us all to what pleases Him. Ameen.

Love and salaam (peace)

(proud2bmom3 Muslim Moms-- Owner. 

muhajjirah Group Admin
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:05 PM

asalaam alaikum warahmat ALLAH,

here in Saudi women bleach the extras of their eyebrows to avoid the plucking, and all the salons apparently do it without a problem. im guessing that there's a fatwa ok'ing this because many saudi women do it. but it rubs me the wrong way.. inshaAllah ill ask around here the scoop on that and get back to you inshaAllah.

may Allah strengthen your belief..

welcome to Islam sis..

♥♥,

muhajjirah

OMYarousha
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 9:24 AM

With all respect to whom evere interpreted this and who ever is following it. This is BS. I do not see any point to this.

proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Quoting OMYarousha:

With all respect to whom evere interpreted this and who ever is following it. This is BS. I do not see any point to this.

I am sorry sister, which part of this do you see as BS? the hadith? or the struggle of our new Muslimah?  I think we all agree that using BS to describe this post and what is in it, just shot your " all respect" comment right out the door..

This is kind of de ja vu .. the reason I say this. is that a couple of years ago. there was a post about eyebrows, which got offensive as well, what is it about moms on this cafe? can't we relate about Issues without putting eachother down ?  

This is a group that is open to ALL Muslimahs, New, born, struggling, learning...etc. we have different levels of Iman. some are still in the beginning, some are struggling. most are learning. and all are just trying to live our life in accordance to Islam as much as we can.

Just because you dont' understand, or dont' want to take in this particular hadith, is up to you, but it does not give you the right to put down a new Muslimah who just came into Islam literally a week ago, and trying to learn as much as she can. 

and MORE importantly,  using such derogatory language to describe a hadith, or the scholars who interpret it like ibn baaz (RA) or Ibn Taymiyyah is totally and utterly unacceptable on this group.

I know you are a new memeber. but please familiarize yourself with group guidelines. disrespect of the prophet, or the scholars will not be tolerated, and will be deleted.  

consider this as a friendly pointing out to our rules on this group,  and a reminder to you and all of us on here who tend to forget from time to time that Islam is bigger than us. that even if we dont' LIKE or understand something that is in a SAHEEH hadith, we do not reject it,  and even if we don't have the strength of faith to follow or implement it in our lives. WE do not dismiss it and definitely do not use such derogatory language to describe it.

As I said, our group is for all Muslims. we will have informational posts, we will have common knowledge posts, we will have inspirational posts, and we will surely every once in a while have a controversial post.  if we cannot remain civil with each other, and most importantly cannot respect our Prophet and our scholars over the issues we just dont' GET" then dont' post , move on to something else. ...

Love and salaam (peace)

muslimah4life Group Admin
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Quoting OMYarousha:

Salamo alikom

I replied; then deleted; then replied; then deleted; I didnt' think my replies were good for my Iman;  I will just say:

if you dont' see the point; then that is YOUR loss; if you want to keep plucking your eyebrows; go right ahead; dont' commit another sin by insulting our prophet and our scholars.bad

Muslimah4life: Muslim Moms Admin typing

RissaBusch
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 1:51 PM

Assalaamu alaikum sisters!

This is a blessing!  But seriously, who really gets enjoyment out of plucking their eyebrows!  It's HURTS!   I think it's great that we don't have to do it.  If you think about it, plucking your eyebrows is purely for cosmetic purposes, there's no real health reason as to why it should be done.  It's cosmetic and cultural.  Actually the eyebrow hairs function like the eye lashes and help keep dust out of our eyes :-) 

OMYarousha
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 3:43 PM

i am sorry if i offended anyone with BS comment. somtimes i think shocking commentary helps bring abour more interesting discourse and debate. I am not a follower of hadith. I only subscribe to our holy book the Koran. this may nit go dwn easily to some of you. thats ok. i am sorry.I feel that bringing the discussion to our everyday and discussing it is more useful to us than a hadith which was related hundreds of years ago some more accurate than others. i am not a scholar. so i would not know which hadith is more acurate. so i would rather not sit there and follow which ever just because someone who is not our prophet says it is a hadith.  Plucking the eyebrows should be no different than plucking our other bodily hair. i respect what my sister says that it hurts. but i believe doing he arms and legs hurts more. as for the keeping dust from ones eyes that is hands down the best arguement.

the "zina"  = beautifying is not haram in our religiong. changing pur face permanently is. plucking eyebrows has no lasting effect, hair grows back.. i think its purely cultural. maybe in saudi ladies need to keep their eyebrows thick since the desert is around although now that with modernization the desert sand is less relevant. Maybe in Saudi since - in many circles only the eyes show, plucking is akin to over indulging, since one will be able to show more of the eyes beauty and use that as an arsenal to the man.

My feeling is that it all goes down to the man. since we can do our arms and legs ultimately for our husbands benefits than thats not haram. but doing eyebrows is sinful since others will see it. Now we must then start to argue about wheither or not Hijab which covers the face and shows only the eyes is true Islam or not. i wil leave that to another debate. 

now, since i am not  mothajba, my eyebrows really dont get noticed much whether i plucked or unplucked next to my bare head. so plucking or not plucking will not make a difference. i hope that makes things more clear. using logic in our practice of our religion is useful. i do not want to preach my values to anyone. but this is where i stand in terms of taking things just at face value rather than thinking through. isnt this why Ijthad exists after all?

thank you for allwing this forum to happen.     

Aasiyah
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Quoting OMYarousha:

. somtimes i think shocking commentary helps bring abour more interesting discourse and debate. I am not a follower of hadith. I only subscribe to our holy book the Koran. this may nit go dwn easily to some of you. thats ok. i am sorry.I feel that bringing the discussion to our everyday and discussing it is more useful to us than a hadith which was related hundreds of years ago some more accurate than others. i am not a scholar. so i would not know which hadith is more acurate. so i would rather not sit there and follow which ever just because someone who is not our prophet says it is a hadith. 

I am sorry but apparently you do not follow the Quran too well since it is from the Quran that it tells you to follow the prophet and take whatever he gives you. And how can you follow the Quran.since by your own logic,  YOU didn't recieve it directly from the Prophet(peace be upon him) but through the preservation of MAN that Allah has chosen to keep his Religion intact through.   It is because of Scholars, MEN and Women (AIsha and the likes as well as Scholars of our time) that we are even able to know anything about Islam.  It is through Scholars and Students of our time that they have taken thier time to translate for us so that we may benefit from what hte Prophet and his companions taught.... (peace be upon our prophet, his family and his companions)

and your comments about saudia fall very short.. Since it is through the Saudis and the likes of them (arabs) that we have an inkling of the the Quran.

and you say you not here to bring your belief system but that is exactly what you have done.  You dont' accept ahadith.. that is alright  by me..That's between you and Allah.... but to come and want to start a discussion or debate about it is promoting your belief is not something appreciated as it only causes DOUBT and CONFUSION where there is none.. the evidenc is CLEAR and DETAILED FOR THOSE WHO BELIEVE AND UNDERSTAND.   and quite frankly.. we trying to adhere to Quran and SUNNAH of the Prophet )(peace be upon him).. therefore this isn't the place for it. Allah warns about hindering men from his path... only taking from Allah's words and dismissing the Words and actions of our Prophet (peace be upon him) is a very seirous matter.  infact it is through ahadith that we know how to perform our acts of worship and what constitutes major and minor sins.  I would be very careful to so nonchalantly dismiss commands from Allah that command us to follow our prophet since he is an EXAMPLE to mankind and that example can only come to us through  narrations(ahadiths) since none of us sat with the Prophet.(peace be upon him)

May Allah protect us  and May Allah guide you to a deeper understanding of his Quran cause you have definitly missed the mark.

practicingislam
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 8:45 PM

clapping mash'Allah mash'Allah jazak'Allah khairon blowing kisses

Quoting Aasiyah:

Quoting OMYarousha:

. somtimes i think shocking commentary helps bring abour more interesting discourse and debate. I am not a follower of hadith. I only subscribe to our holy book the Koran. this may nit go dwn easily to some of you. thats ok. i am sorry.I feel that bringing the discussion to our everyday and discussing it is more useful to us than a hadith which was related hundreds of years ago some more accurate than others. i am not a scholar. so i would not know which hadith is more acurate. so i would rather not sit there and follow which ever just because someone who is not our prophet says it is a hadith. 

I am sorry but apparently you do not follow the Quran too well since it is from the Quran that it tells you to follow the prophet and take whatever he gives you. And how can you follow the Quran.since by your own logic,  YOU didn't recieve it directly from the Prophet(peace be upon him) but through the preservation of MAN that Allah has chosen to keep his Religion intact through.   It is because of Scholars, MEN and Women (AIsha and the likes as well as Scholars of our time) that we are even able to know anything about Islam.  It is through Scholars and Students of our time that they have taken thier time to translate for us so that we may benefit from what hte Prophet and his companions taught.... (peace be upon our prophet, his family and his companions)

and your comments about saudia fall very short.. Since it is through the Saudis and the likes of them (arabs) that we have an inkling of the the Quran.

and you say you not here to bring your belief system but that is exactly what you have done.  You dont' accept ahadith.. that is alright  by me..That's between you and Allah.... but to come and want to start a discussion or debate about it is promoting your belief is not something appreciated as it only causes DOUBT and CONFUSION where there is none.. the evidenc is CLEAR and DETAILED FOR THOSE WHO BELIEVE AND UNDERSTAND.   and quite frankly.. we trying to adhere to Quran and SUNNAH of the Prophet )(peace be upon him).. therefore this isn't the place for it. Allah warns about hindering men from his path... only taking from Allah's words and dismissing the Words and actions of our Prophet (peace be upon him) is a very seirous matter.  infact it is through ahadith that we know how to perform our acts of worship and what constitutes major and minor sins.  I would be very careful to so nonchalantly dismiss commands from Allah that command us to follow our prophet since he is an EXAMPLE to mankind and that example can only come to us through  narrations(ahadiths) since none of us sat with the Prophet.(peace be upon him)

May Allah protect us  and May Allah guide you to a deeper understanding of his Quran cause you have definitly missed the mark.

proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Quoting OMYarousha:

i am sorry if i offended anyone with BS comment. somtimes i think shocking commentary helps bring abour more interesting discourse and debate. I am not a follower of hadith. I only subscribe to our holy book the Koran. this may nit go dwn easily to some of you. thats ok. i am sorry.I feel that bringing the discussion to our everyday and discussing it is more useful to us than a hadith which was related hundreds of years ago some more accurate than others. i am not a scholar. so i would not know which hadith is more acurate. so i would rather not sit there and follow which ever just because someone who is not our prophet says it is a hadith.  Plucking the eyebrows should be no different than plucking our other bodily hair. i respect what my sister says that it hurts. but i believe doing he arms and legs hurts more. as for the keeping dust from ones eyes that is hands down the best arguement.

the "zina"  = beautifying is not haram in our religiong. changing pur face permanently is. plucking eyebrows has no lasting effect, hair grows back.. i think its purely cultural. maybe in saudi ladies need to keep their eyebrows thick since the desert is around although now that with modernization the desert sand is less relevant. Maybe in Saudi since - in many circles only the eyes show, plucking is akin to over indulging, since one will be able to show more of the eyes beauty and use that as an arsenal to the man.

My feeling is that it all goes down to the man. since we can do our arms and legs ultimately for our husbands benefits than thats not haram. but doing eyebrows is sinful since others will see it. Now we must then start to argue about wheither or not Hijab which covers the face and shows only the eyes is true Islam or not. i wil leave that to another debate. 

now, since i am not  mothajba, my eyebrows really dont get noticed much whether i plucked or unplucked next to my bare head. so plucking or not plucking will not make a difference. i hope that makes things more clear. using logic in our practice of our religion is useful. i do not want to preach my values to anyone. but this is where i stand in terms of taking things just at face value rather than thinking through. isnt this why Ijthad exists after all?

thank you for allwing this forum to happen.     

Where to begin?  small stuff first I guess,

it is OK to be shocking, it is not OK to be offensive or to use foul language on our group. you will see that  such language is not tolerated, in fact deleted, and that here on Muslim Moms , you will get more dialogue ( constructive, educated, informative dialogue) through civil and respectful means.smilealhamdulilaah.  

is plucking the eyebrows same as removing bodily hair? no it is not. plucking is a form of beautification and changing  your face. and is haram. removing body hair is encouraged, it is sunnah, and it is a form of cleanliness.   and I will leave this matter at that, it has nothing to do with culture, it is from Islam.

let me share this verse from the Quran with you: 33:36

[36] It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allah and His Messenger have decreed a matter that they should have any option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger, he has indeed strayed in a plain error

.what does this verse tell us? it tells us that if there is a clear order from Allah, and/or his messenger . then there is no room for argument. just follow.

I agree with my sister, you cannot claim to follow Quran while saying you don't  follow hadith, it does not make sense. if you follow Quran then you should follow sunnah. here is a list of posts on this group. containing verses from the holy Quran that tell you so.

significance of hadith

should we follow Sunnah? why? where is it in the Quran?

insha' Allah those posts will be of benefit.  it always breaks my heart when I meet Muslim brothers or sisters who so proudly declare they do not believe in hadith as if they are doing something great, intellectual, or thought provoking. when all it provokes is sadness. for their sake,   All we can do , is provide evidence. and make dua that Allah will guide you. but bottom line that is between you and Allah. you choose to practice Islam as you see fit . that is up to you.  However, this is a group that adheres to Sunnah. and will not tolerate any remarks planting doubts or putting down hadiths, Sunnah, or the great scholars who dedicated years and years of their lives to authenticating hadith , those scholars whom Allah has guided because Allah has promised to keep this faith intact. through both Quran and Sunnah.  .. so I ask you to keep your opinions against hadith to yourself. 

I find it ironic that you mention ijtihad. because as someone who doubts hadith and scholars, Ijtihad relies heavily on both. subhana Allah. non the less. we follow our reason to guide us to Islam. it makes sense that we have ONE God, it makes sense that this life is a journey and a test. ...etc. but once you embrace the faith, you cannot use reason as a crutch to doubt the duties that are asked of us.  like in the verse mentioned above. once something is decreed by Allah, there is no more room for individual opinions. this is not stifling your intellect. it is following the commandments of your Creator.

Ali ibn abi talib may Allah be pleased with him said, ' if everything in this religion was based on logic , then we would wipe the bottom of our socks, not the top what does that tell us? it tells us again. that if there is a written evidence about something. then we dont try to justify it nor spin it so our feeble minds can understand it. we should believe that it is Allah who created us, and it is He who knows all , and we as believers, as Muslims, who by definition should be ones who SUBMIT to the will of Allah, should do just that. SUBMIT.

if I speak in error then it is from me, may Allah forgive me and guide us all to what pleases Him. Ameen.

thank you for your last remark. I am humbled by Allah's blessings that He willed for this forum to stay on .. we work very hard trying to keep it in accordance with true teachings of Islam. while still keeping it a place where Muslimahs can connect, and grow together insha' Allah.

Love and salaam (peace)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)