Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

skittles? Edited : wooo hoooo, it's from Beef. and soon , NO gelatin

Posted by (Group Owner) on Nov. 19, 2009 at 6:29 PM
  • 21 Replies
  • 3369 Total Views

assalamu alaikum sisters,

I dont' remember which one of my wonderful sisters on here posted about skittles being haram because of pork gelatin.  we have not been eating skittle for a few years now. alhamduliaah.

well , today, out of curiosity, I picked up a skittles bag at the check out stand while I was waiting in line. and I read the ingredients : it said:

Sugar, corn syrup, hudrogenated palm kernel oil, and or palm oil , less than 2% citric acid dextrin, ( colors) artificial and natural flavors, ascorbic acid ( viatmin c) Gluten-Free, Gelatin Free ...

so if it is gelatin free. then where is the haram?

so I picked up another and another and another, and found that the purple one,  ( the one with the berries does have gelatin. but the orange one and the green sour one DO  NOT have gelatin. .. they didnt' have the red one.

so I guess I will not be depriving my kids from ALL the skittles,   they can have the sour and crazy cores.. YAY..

unless one of the sisters knows something that I don't.. 

I submitted a question to the company about why some have gelatin and some don't and if the gelatin is kosher or not. when I hear from them I will let you know insha' Allah.

edited to add, NOV. 20:

Assalamu alaikum sisters,

here is the reply I got from the company.. and to double check I also called them.. ONLY the one brand in red is from Pork. everything else made by them is made from BEEF..

Rissa, You know what that means... go get your all berry skittles LOL

every one else..

see the rainbow.. Taste the rainbow.. LOL LOL>

ok. gotta fly, see you later today insha Allah

Thank you for contacting us to inquire about the origin of the gelatin used in SkittlesĀ® candies.

The gelatin used in U.S. Starburst Gummibursts is derived from pork.

The gelatin used in all other U.S. Starburst products is derived from beef.

Beginning in 2009 Skittles have been reformulated without gelatin. This change will be reflected in the ingredient line of each pack. For those products that have been reformulated without gelatin, gelatin will not be listed in the ingredient line any longer. However, due to the shelf life of Skittles, packs that were made prior to this reformulation will still be on shelf. Please be sure to check the ingredient line of each pack to see if it includes gelatin.

We hope this information is helpful in finding your favorite products. If you have any further comments or questions please feel free to contact us, Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST, at 1-800-974-4539.

Sincerely,

Molly Flay
Consumer Affairs Representative

Please do NOT reply to this email. If you would like to respond to this message, click on the link below.

http://www.econsumeraffairs.com/wwj/wrigley/ContactUsFollowUp.htm?F1=000597042A&F3=WWEB

Love and salaam (peace)

(proud2bmom3 Muslim Moms-- Owner. 

by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RissaBusch
by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Wa alaikum salaam!

Noooooooooooooo not my berry skittles.  Lol I've been eating those for years.  lol oh well, it's not a big deal.  The berry ones were my favorite! Ha, I'm sure I can't live without my berry skittles though.

practicingislam
by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 10:24 PM

wa'alaykum asalam

welllllllllllllllllllllllllll sister proud lol, it was haram, and then they sold a different halal skittles just for those who observe not eating pork, maybe they decided to just make it w/o pork i dont know just call them dear

but i would still be cautious because FDA doesnt require companies to list products who have a minimal amount of pork in it or any meat product if it meets under the requirement .......

I would just call and let us know i miss them :)

practicingislam
by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 10:28 PM

asalamu alaikum sis I HATE TO BURST YOUR BUBBLE I HOPE U DONT EAT STARBURST ITS IN THERE TOO :(  , start reading labels and you'll see how many products have pork in it, :(

in the beginning it seems really exhausting but then u get use to the products that are halal/ and not ...heres a consumer group w/great info on products

http://www.muslimconsumergroup.com/General.do;jsessionid=1E8BC3995EE89D6DD390B318F99F6396?menu=Home&eventAction=init

Quoting RissaBusch:

Wa alaikum salaam!

Noooooooooooooo not my berry skittles.  Lol I've been eating those for years.  lol oh well, it's not a big deal.  The berry ones were my favorite! Ha, I'm sure I can't live without my berry skittles though.

RissaBusch
by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Wa alaikum salaam!

Bleck, nope no Starbursts!  Woo that's good at least.

What's funny is I've been inadvertently lying for MANY years.  Lol I've never eaten pork because I was Jewish.  Hahahaha I always told people I've never had it! Lol oops. 

Quoting practicingislam:

asalamu alaikum sis I HATE TO BURST YOUR BUBBLE I HOPE U DONT EAT STARBURST ITS IN THERE TOO :(  , start reading labels and you'll see how many products have pork in it, :(

in the beginning it seems really exhausting but then u get use to the products that are halal/ and not ...heres a consumer group w/great info on products

http://www.muslimconsumergroup.com/General.do;jsessionid=1E8BC3995EE89D6DD390B318F99F6396?menu=Home&eventAction=init

Quoting RissaBusch:

Wa alaikum salaam!

proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Nov. 19, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Quoting RissaBusch:

Wa alaikum salaam!

I KNOW... berry used to be my favorite too. I love all things berry LOL. all berry juices, yogurts..etc. and I love all things with nuts..

so I guess I am "berry" nutts LOL..

sister practicingislam. once I hear from them I will let you all know insha' Allah.

as for not listing all ingredients. they didn't NOT list. they actually wrote in caps: NO Gelatin, NO gluten. LOL. so I guess that should be binding. no going around it.

Love and salaam (peace)

(proud2bmom3 Muslim Moms-- Owner. 

LivingIslam
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:02 AM
AishaTP
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:46 AM

Assalam Alaikum Sister,

I think that this is something recent as some time ago my son came home from school with a small bag of skittles that someone gave to them. So I started to tell him that they were haram, but these were  the chocolate mix skittles which I had never seen before. When I read the ingredients, I was surprised to find that there wasn't any gelatin listed. Please keep us posted on how the company responds.

muhajjirah Group Admin
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 2:02 AM

asalaam alaikum warhamat Allah wabarakatu:

yeah i noticed the same thing when we back to the states this past summer and bought a few packs for myself and kids as a result!! :-) there was another candy too but i can't remember, maybe it was starbursts- ill ask the kids and get back inshaAllah.

sakeenah35
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Assalamu alaikum:

I always wondered about skittles! My daughter always asks me and I say we cant eat them... this is good to know, Alhamdullilah!

practicingislam
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:02 PM

wa'alaykum asalam dear i just love your kids their so cute mash'Allah p.s., i think maisah told me ur on FB , if u are PM me i'll give u my screenname and if i can have urs and we'll add each other <3

Quoting sakeenah35:

Assalamu alaikum:

I always wondered about skittles! My daughter always asks me and I say we cant eat them... this is good to know, Alhamdullilah!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN