• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you believe Allah punishes us for our sins in this life?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:13 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 3371 Total Views

Do you believe we get punished for our sins in this life and the hereafter, or just in the hereafter?

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
qureyus1
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Assalamu Alaikum,

Oh yes, I do believe that Allah (SWT) punishes us for sins in this life....I think that it is fairly obvious from this verse in the Quran:

“Allah burdens not a person beyond his scope. He gets reward for that which he has earned, and he is punished for that which he has earned........(Al-Baqarah, 2: 286):"

To me this plainly states that you are punished and rewarded accordingly and although it doesn't necessarily state in this life AND the hereafter.....it just seems obvious that bad breeds bad and good breeds good which we see happen right in this life.

Also, this hadith has been posted on here before which also lets one know that in this life you will feel the punishment for what you earned:

"Never a believer is stricken with discomfort, hardship or illness, grief or even with mental worry that his sins are not expiated for him..."

So here again, you can see that you feel punishment in this life for sins, but, you can say Al-Hamdulillah b/c in sha Allah, this sin or sins will not count against you on your day of judgment due to the suffering you had for it in this life and try not to do those same things and do more good and remembering of ALLAH (SWT)each day as much as we can which helps us to stay away from bad deeds.

Please see this link to a thread on here about thoughts on how to distinguish the pain or grief you have is from your own hands OR if it is a test:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/97/forums/read/10418027/How_does_a_person_know_if_a_trial_is_a_test_or_anger_from_Allah

proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:49 PM

assalamu alaikum sister,

I believe that  we do get some punishment here on earth. though sometimes the hardships we go through could just be a test, and not necessarily a punishment.

I also believe that sometimes the punishment on earth wipes away the punishment in the hereafter. like for example , when the adulterous admitted her sin so she can get her punishment on earth.. and went through the Hadd ( Sharia prescribed punishment) . That rendered her pure and kept  her from being punished in the hereafter. - this does not mean though that we should confess our sins so we can be punished here. Islam teaches us that we  conceal our sins , and confess and repent only to Allah, and we ask his forgiveness and for His mercy..and a pure sincere repentance. wipes away the sins and protects you from punishment for that sin here , and in the hereafter insha' Allah.  ( a sincere tawbah is not only being sorry, but  also, not going back to that sin, and doing extra good deeds to wipe it away)

fearing punishment is good tool to help us to reexamine our deeds and be mindful of our sins, and working on repairing them or making them right.. but we should also trust in Allah's infinite Mercy. that He Azza wa jalla will forgive any sin ( lest Shirk) if He so wills it. for whomever He wills it.

so we strive on this earth, to do our part, and pray that we will deserve His Mercy, that we be Shaded in His shade when there is no Shade but His.

may Allah forgive us our trespasses, and guide us to what pleases Him ameen.

one final thougt. being sick, or in pain, ( and being patient about it) washes away some of your sins. and takes away from your hardships on the day of judgement. Insha' Allah.

Allah is so generous.. may we be among those who are deserving Ameen.

If I speak in error then it is from me, may Allah fogive me, and guide us all,

I leave you in the trusted care of Allah.

Love and salaam (peace)

(proud2bmom3 Muslim Moms-- Owner. 

Weverly314
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Is it punishment in this life or is it truly consequences?

qureyus1
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 7:15 PM

I thought about your question and came to conclude that one can look at punishment/consequence to be one in the same. 

I say this because we are conditioned to say consequence instead of punishment....

Like a parent may use the word consequence with an older child but they will use the word punishment with a younger one but they both mean the same its just applied based on the child age/understanding.

for example, (to the younger child) "your punishment for doing this or that will be..." OR (to the older child) "you will have to suffer the consequences for your actions.."

I understand both words to mean the same when i look at it that way.   Also, this verse in the Quran uses the word punishment:

“Allah burdens not a person beyond his scope. He gets reward for that which he has earned, and he is punished for that which he has earned........(Al-Baqarah, 2: 286):"

Quoting Weverly314:

Is it punishment in this life or is it truly consequences?

Weverly314
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Well, I was more thinking in the adult world.  For example, the consequence of having sex indiscriminately could be venereal disease, a punishment would not necessarily be related to the sin itself.

MaiasMommy619
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 10:51 PM

I feel you get it in both this life and the hereafter...but I agree with Proud, that as something looks or seems like a punishment now, it could be or is a test.  

qureyus1
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Quoting Weverly314:

Well, I was more thinking in the adult world.  For example, the consequence of having sex indiscriminately could be venereal disease, a punishment would not necessarily be related to the sin itself.

Well, I was thinking more of the adult world too but I just used the best example I could think of at the time..LOL

Even so, that older child who the parent starts to use the word "consequence" with will become an ADULT and by that time will have been conditioned to hear that word and MAY no longer look at it as a "punishment" although,

what he or she has earned (the punishment/consequence) from their actions/sin is directly related to it, like in your example,

the sin is fornication (sex OUT of marriage and on top of that with multiple people) which earned that person the disease, which is the punishment/consequence...its just that your parents are no longer handing it down to you,

but GOD is.  The prophets mentioned of plagues, diseases, natural disasters and such handed down by GOD as punishments for the sins of people but on the flip side of that, its from HIS mercy as well, so people can change the wrong/sins that's being done. 

Weverly314
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Do you think, then, that the earthquake in Haiti is punishment for widespread practice of voodoo?  I don't buy that its punishment for making a pact with the devil.  I won't believe that they even made the pact until I see solid evidence of it.

Now, what I've been taught (as a Christian) is that natural disasters are not necessarily a punishment for this that or the other; They exist because we live in a fallen (from grace with God) world.

qureyus1
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Quoting Weverly314:

Do you think, then, that the earthquake in Haiti is punishment for widespread practice of voodoo?  I don't buy that its punishment for making a pact with the devil.  I won't believe that they even made the pact until I see solid evidence of it.

Now, what I've been taught (as a Christian) is that natural disasters are not necessarily a punishment for this that or the other; They exist because we live in a fallen (from grace with God) world.

Thats's a good question. 

I honestly did NOT look at it that way at first but NEITHER did I right away after hearing of the tsunami (Indonesia) or hurricane (New Orleans) but that's just me. However,

I think when you look deeper into how they say the "sins of the city"...what the city, or the country, or the place is known for,

one can speculate as to why a natural disaster may happen as punishment anywhere.

I think most know about new orleans or the beaches of indonesia(not implying that this was the only thing) but haiti is a place that is NOT so out there and one would have to research it.

another example can be Pompeii.

proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Jan. 27, 2010 at 4:53 PM

well,

Punishment in this life is of course a consequence of our bad deeds, or sins. ( though like I said not every bad thing that befalls us is a punishment, it could simply be a test) But NOT necessarily THE normal consequence of the act..

in other words. one of the sins that man commits on earth, that he will find negative consequences for in this life and in the afterlife, is cutting off , or mistreating parents.. there is no logical consequence that follows ( not like catching an STD from fornication, or being put in prison for stealing) though as a punishment. one will find hardships in their lives and the blessings taken out of their sustenance.  ( among other things) ..

so to answer that question, they can be directly related consequences, and they can be other things.. caused by the act .. but not related to it. like I said, hardships, loss of money, pain, sickness, ...etc.

there are also set punishments that are to be carried out by the judge,or Muslim ruler, on this earth for certain sins, like stealing, slander, fornication..etc. these are set punishments,  kind of like the legal system.  if a Muslim gets the punishment for that act on earth, and repents., then he would not be punished for it in the hereafter ( insha' Allah)

Haiti???  Well, the Quran is full of stories of people who were destroyed  for the enormous sin they were engulfed in. like the people of Lot, or Thamood,.. Noah....etc.  so the flood during the time of Noah peace be upon him, was definitely a punishment.. However, in this time and age . I would like to refrain from passing judgments on an entire nation, because of a national disaster that could very well be a test for them and a  test for us who are standing by, or so arrogantly passing condemnation as if they deserved it.

so would I say Haiti was a punishment,. no I wouldn't, that is in the knowledge of Allah, and I cannot claim to know.. I should not, claim to know.. there are many peoples who do worse than the people of Haiti, or Indonesia.. ...etc. so to lump those thousands and hundreds of thousands in one category of ( they got what they deserved) scares the life out of me..

natural disasters are wake up calls, that no matter how mighty or how weak, no matter how rich or how poor .death will find  you.. no matter how young or old.. brave or coward...etc. you get the picture. so for us as bystanders. what we should do is learn.. and help. .. do our part.. for that test might very well include us as well.

if I speak in error then it is from me , may Allah forgive me and guide us all to what pleases Him, Ameen.

Love and salaam (peace)

(proud2bmom3 Muslim Moms-- Owner. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)