• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mosque building question

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:04 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 442 Total Views

Assalaamu Alaykum. I want to know if this is a stupid idea or not.  I want to build a mosque and Islamic school for mom's area.  Problem is I'm the only Muslim I know of there, and Ohio is having problems with jobs.  In fact I believe Ohio has the highest unemployment compared to the national average.  I think it's 11% of unemployment in Ohio compared to the national average of 9%.  But I was thinking if I built a masjid then maybe Insha Allah people would come to masjid to learn about Islam and perhaps there'd be some new reverts.  I've had this idea for a little while but I don't know if it is stupid to do since as far as I know I'm the only Muslim in the area (Newark, OH).  I remember reading on Toledo Islamic Forums that somebody said they need a masjid in Newark, OH so I'm assuming there's Muslims there, I've just never seen any.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
-Cassandra-
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 1:38 AM

"If you build it, they will come!"  LOL sorry I couldn't resist.  If you have the money and resources to build it then it would be a benefit to all but especially to you since you will recieve a great reward from Allah for doing so.  And you will continue to reap the rewards of all those who please Allah through that masjid.  Secondly, if jobs are scarce think of how many jobs you are maintaining or creating because of this project.  If it has a school in it this at least means jobs for some teachers, clerical workers, and perhaps maintenace jobs for people after completion.  The number of Muslims will only continue to increase in the U.S. so even if the numbers start out small they will grow not only from existing local Muslims but from new converts and new immigrants as well.  This is a wonderful idea, one I dream and pray that I will be able to do someday.  However as excited as I am for you and hope that this would work out please make sure that it is financially feasable for you.  Even if you run a business attached to the project you must consider the initial cost plus the start up period during which you will most likely be either in the red or if lucky breaking even.  Most businesses do not begin to return a profit for approximately 3 years.  Make sure you can support it through your current or planned means before undertaking it.  Insha'Allah the finding, time, and resources will be granted to you through Allah and may he use it to draw more people closer to Islam both new and old.  As far as wil people come, there will be people who may travel further than usual to come if it offers services that they desire and/or need.  Make sure you spend time and possibly money into advertising that particular masjid and make a big deal out of the grand opening to draw more people both near and far.

erin7420
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 1:49 AM

I agree. I think it would benefit the area and there are probably muslims near by that you just havent seen or met before.

wife2ali
by on Aug. 9, 2010 at 12:30 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)