Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's for Iftar????? ideas, recipes.. : )

Posted by (Group Owner) on Aug. 12, 2010 at 5:13 PM
  • 49 Replies
  • 9016 Total Views

Assalamu alaikum dear sisters,

soooo,

what's for iftar today? may be you can inspire the rest of us with a new easy delicious recipe??

Do Share :) aproneating

Love and salaam (peace)

(proud2bmom3 Muslim Moms-- Owner. 

by on Aug. 12, 2010 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mishmish Group Admin
by on Aug. 12, 2010 at 5:24 PM
If I do not get to feelin' much better it will be chicken pot pie!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Aug. 12, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Assalamu alaikum sisters,

when we went to Saudi. we ate a dish called " Mandi"  it is rice and chicken with the most wonderful flavor.. I hadn't had it before.

so when I got back. I decided to try it.. so I did a couple of trial dishes. but now.. it is really good if I may say so myself.monkey lol.. .. and no, I didn't put the chicken and rice in an oven dug in the ground.. ( it seems this dish has a special oven..) I did it my way.. lol  ( the cheating , cut corners , quick way...lol) so here goes,

2-3 cornish hens cut in halves ( depending on your family size)

fresh ginger

two medium onions chopped,

olive and canola oil

all spice ( one table spoon)

3 cups of basmati rice ( or 4 depending on the size of your family) washed and soaked in warm water.

salt to taste.

two little glass bowls, or Sadah cups

two coals. ( the ones you use for bukhoor - incense, or Nargil.- hookah, sheesha

Clean the chicken.

in a pressure cooker saute the ginger and onions in canola oil  ( you can ground the ginger or cut it to pieces. then add the chicken and let saute for a while

add water, when it starts to boil skim the foam on top , then add the salt and spices and close the cooker.

depending on your pressure cooker it might take about 15 minutes for the chicken to be almost done.

take the chicken out and place it in a roasting pan.

light one of the coals and wait until it is red all over, then place the coal in one of the glass bowls and place it in the middle of the chicken pan .. put a few drops of olive or canola oil on and around it then immediately cover the pan with aluminum foil. .. place in oven and bake for another twenty minutes.

drain the rice

put some canola oil in the cooking pot then dump the rice and let it cook for a few seconds. then strain the chicken broth over the rice. add salt to taste. let boil then reduce heat , cover and let cook till rice is done.

once the rice is cooked all the way through. you might want to sprinkle some olive oil and fold it in. . then do the same with the other coal and place in the rice pot and cover with lid and a towel. and let it sit.

broil the chicken until it turns golden brown

you can serve with a chutney, salad, along with roasted almonds..

hope you like it.

Sahteen :)

Love and salaam (peace)

(proud2bmom3 Muslim Moms-- Owner. 

RissaBusch
by on Aug. 12, 2010 at 6:02 PM

My husband has requested my baked potato soup.  So, that.  It's killing me right now.  It smells sooooo good.  It takes forever to cook because the cream cheese has to melt slowly.

I make the same soup as Panera Bread but mine's better because there's no ham in it lol.  Panera puts ham in there's and I cut it out of mine lol.

So that with crusty French bread.  Yum

sakeenah35
by on Aug. 12, 2010 at 6:11 PM
Assalamu alaikum: Fried basa fish, yellow rice,corn on the cob and collard greens.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Afeefa
by on Aug. 12, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Assalamualekom Sisters

My favorite iftaar drink is Fresh Almond milk, it is extremely nutritious and perfect for open fast with a some dates.

1 handful almonds peeled

2 cups of milk

2 tsp sugar

cardamom powder to taste

1. soak almonds overnight and peel them right before blending, or boil water and do a quick 3 minutes soak for instand almond peeling
  2. add almond to the blender with 1/2 cup milk and blend until smooth to preferred consistency
  3. add remaining milk and sugar and blend
  4. Bismillah! and enjoy
UmmSamoura
by on Aug. 12, 2010 at 6:28 PM

yesterday I made ma7shy malfouf (cabbage stuffed with rice and meat) and shorbat adas (creamy lentil soup) for sides we had spinach pies, olives and radishes. mashAllah. Today we will have the leftovers inshAllah. If anyone wants any recipes just let me know I will type it out. ;)

peachface21
by on Aug. 12, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Asalaam aleikum...first off i LOOOVE almond milk..i buy almond breeze!!!  And dates i have on the table already..wish i could find the coconut ones..anyway..i got some fresh dough..let it rise..put some provolone cheese on it after i spread it..then some cooked ground turkey meat..all spiced up!!  then low fat ricotta on top rolled it up and baked it like 40 minutes..still keeping warm in the oven..top will be crusty and inside cheesy!!!    Oh stop im starving!!

AmmuJSE
by on Aug. 12, 2010 at 7:42 PM

I still have 3 hours.....EEEEEEEEEEEK, I'm starving after taking the boys to swim class!

We are having fried eggplant (tradition bangladeshi ifftar snack), Piyaju ( another TBIS, it's daal that has been soaked, then you blend in onion & green chilies & fry it), fried cauliflower (another TBIS), Chaana * garbanzo beans made spicy with potato & onions & chilies) covered with moori (puff white rice, but you make it on hot fire so it has a "burnt" side). 

I have ribs going in the oven too but those are for later, as well as rice, daal, cabbage& potato, & Beef curry (left overs from last night's dinner). 

feedup
by on Aug. 12, 2010 at 8:51 PM

We had fried rice west African style , hubby from Gambia and ,broccoli, macaroni cheese .The Broccoli and mac and chesse are for my sometime pick eaters lol

UmmSamoura
by on Aug. 12, 2010 at 9:40 PM

OMG I loooove fried cauliflower!!!!

at the last minute i decided to make qatiyif for dessert. its thin pancakes and i stuffed them with sweet cheese and some with dates for the hubby and rubbed them in some oil baked them in the broiler for a few minutes turned them over about another minute until lightly browned and crispy and them dipped them in sugar water. OMG mashAllah sooooo good. InshAllah tomorrow going to make some with nuts isA.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN