Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stupid question...

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:21 AM
  • 15 Replies
  • 534 Total Views

Asalamu alaikum sisters,

I JUST found out that we are moving in TWO DAYS.  I need to pack this apartment into boxes before Thursday afternoon...with three babies (al 7amdulAllah) under foot and no help.  I don't suppose there is anything that says I can postpone the fast (astughferAllah).  Please help...

JazakAllahu khairun:)

Umm Ali

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
syrianmommy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:10 AM

I am not sure about that but may Allah help you sister. I am moving on Saturday and trying to get everything in order and its hard being pregnant and with a 2 year old. My mom is going to help me in the evenings THANK GOD.

EmmAlesh
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:59 AM

May Allah give you strength, too, ikhti!  Insha'Allah we will make it through.  You have it tough...I think being pregnant and trying to do this is more difficult than fasting and doing it.  Al 7amdulAllah your mom will be there for you. :)

ummu_moussa
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Wa alaikum salam, sister

I just moved over the weekend.  Honestly, with 2 toddlers and last minute packing, I didn't even have time to stop and think about hunger, thirst, fatigue, etc.  All we had was my teenage brother to help us out. We also had brutally hot temperatures, so I made sure to eat super healthy that morning -- lots of protein, fiber, water, no coffee and Vitamin Water for electrolytes. :(  Good luck sister...if I lived near you I would come and lend a hand!

EmmAlesh
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:41 AM

JazakAlah khair ummu_moussa!  Mash'Allah that you were able to get it done in hot temperatures!  I had decided earlier that it would be a good thing since I would be preoccupied, then I read your post, sub7anAllah:) Insha'Allah I can be as strong on the day of the move...

LivingIslam
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Wa'Alaykum Salam

You can break your fast if your health is being compromised.  If you can not make this strenuous move and fast at the same time without making yourself sick then you can make those days up.  For example, if your situation becomes an "excuse" not to fast then no it's not okay to break it  but if you are genuinely run down, sick and just can not do it then you are allowed and can make it up.  This is what my imam told me because I have been ill myself.

Quoting EmmAlesh:

Asalamu alaikum sisters,

I JUST found out that we are moving in TWO DAYS.  I need to pack this apartment into boxes before Thursday afternoon...with three babies (al 7amdulAllah) under foot and no help.  I don't suppose there is anything that says I can postpone the fast (astughferAllah).  Please help...

JazakAllahu khairun:)

EmmAlesh
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:25 PM
JazakAllah khair, Sis:)!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muslimah4life Group Admin
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:34 PM
Quoting LivingIslam:

salamo alikom
your situation sister livingislam mightve been diffrnt.
she didn't day she was sick. Just going to be doing a lot. I don't think it's wise to tell anyone they can break the fast just because it I'd going to be "hard"; remember the Muslims faught wars in the extreme heat of the desert; no cars and no AC. During Ramadan.
My advice is to fast. You have NO valid reason not to.
Hope it goes OK :)

Muslimah4life: Muslim Moms Admin typing

EmmAlesh
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:40 PM

That is what I was asking.  Thanks.  I don't think livingislam was telling me I could.  The way I understood it was that only in the case of sickness is breaking the fast valid. 

LivingIslam
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:05 PM

I did not advise her to break the fast.  I stated that if her health becomes compromised and her intention is to protect her health (not be free of fasting) then yes she can break the fast.  Allah has made it obligatory on us to treat our bodies right.  Allah prescribed fasting for us so we might learn self-restraint not so we would harm ourselves.  This is the advice of my imam who has been in Dearborn Michigan and leading our ummah for the last twenty years.

It's inappropriate to come out and say that I am advising someone not to fast.  The reality is that there are times when a person falls ill and simply can not do it.  For example, two weeks ago a brother passed out during tarawee prayers.  He was diagnosed with severe dehydration in the hospital.  He had been feeling really sick but still continued his fasting.  It is not permissable for a person to damage their health. 

Let's leave room for sisters to share their knowledge instead of trying to control what others have to say.  This should be a welcoming enviornment for sisters to share without others attempting to overly scrutinize.  Allah see's all that we do and He knows our intentions.

Quoting muslimah4life:

Quoting LivingIslam:

salamo alikom
your situation sister livingislam mightve been diffrnt.
she didn't day she was sick. Just going to be doing a lot. I don't think it's wise to tell anyone they can break the fast just because it I'd going to be "hard"; remember the Muslims faught wars in the extreme heat of the desert; no cars and no AC. During Ramadan.
My advice is to fast. You have NO valid reason not to.
Hope it goes OK :)

muslimah4life Group Admin
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Quoting LivingIslam:

I did not advise her to break the fast.  I stated that if her health becomes compromised and her intention is to protect her health (not be free of fasting) then yes she can break the fast.  Allah has made it obligatory on us to treat our bodies right.  Allah prescribed fasting for us so we might learn self-restraint not so we would harm ourselves.  This is the advice of my imam who has been in Dearborn Michigan and leading our ummah for the last twenty years.

It's inappropriate to come out and say that I am advising someone not to fast.  The reality is that there are times when a person falls ill and simply can not do it.  For example, two weeks ago a brother passed out during tarawee prayers.  He was diagnosed with severe dehydration in the hospital.  He had been feeling really sick but still continued his fasting.  It is not permissable for a person to damage their health. 

Let's leave room for sisters to share their knowledge instead of trying to control what others have to say.  This should be a welcoming enviornment for sisters to share without others attempting to overly scrutinize.  Allah see's all that we do and He knows our intentions.

Salamo alikom

sorry; didn't mean to scrutnize; I guess I was in a rush reading and only remember the ending of your post that sais : if you feel run down then you can break the fast"  That was the only ting that I remebered and reacted to because we can't just break the fast when we are run down or exhausted from working. we should be smart about working while fasting so we wouldn't have to become rundown; JMO

altho; I agree with you first statemen that if the health becomes compromised one should break the fast. I'm sorry I didn't aknowldge that;  and I honestly didnt want to come off as controling what anyone says; or make them feel uncomfortable;

Salams

Muslimah4life: Muslim Moms Admin typing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)