Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Q: Easter

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 3:41 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 607 Total Views

Assalamu Alaikum sisters :)

I have a question here since I am a newly revert..my family is celebrating easter tomorrow and I really dont know how to go about it as trying my best not to celebrate it but its gonna surround me and the kids and my family is asking me for the kids to celebrate but they dont respect my decision and they go do it anyways! :( saying its going to be a easter hunt and food but I dont want to displease my mom since she is sick..help? :(

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
montessorimom77
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Wa aikum Assalam,

I live a few hours away from the rest of my family so I mainly try to blame the distance and the fact that my husband has to go to work the next day as a factor as to why we are not coming to visit during this time. Plus my mom usually likes to go to church on Sunday and eat ham afterwards. I think she realizes that it would make us uncomfortable.  They really don't ask anymore after a few times. If all else fails, I blame the hubby. lol. jk. My mom did give my son a bunny when he was one year old, because she had gotten her other grandkids stuff for Easter. I accepted the bunny  but my mom could tell that I was displeased and hasn't given any gifts since.  Not sure what else to tell you. Good luck.

muhajjirah Group Admin
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:21 PM
do you have any days to make up for Ramadan? maybe you can fast tomorrow inshaAllah as a silent yet effective way to let your family know that you aren't cool with Easter. maybe only being there part of the day and def not allowing your kids getting involved with any of their religious part of the day, prayer or whatever. sit your children down tonight and explain to them to the level they understand, who knows maybe Allah will guide your kids to object: "we are muslims and we dont do easter traditions. whatever you think they will do that goes
against the teachings of Islam- nonhalal/ nonzabiha meat, Easter egg hunt, any Christian like songs, whatever teach them that this is not pleasing to Allah. tell them you will reward them for their efforts in shying away from these activities. maybe to soften your moms heart so she doesn't get offended as much you can have your kids make a craft for her or something that says "it's because we are Muslims, we love you & Jesus very
much." and you can offer her this at a
moment where she
might be annoyed. off the top oft head, wish I could help more. but be firm and don't compromise Allah's pleasure for even those whom you love the
most. plz let us know how it goes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HeatUSA-Tunisia
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:39 PM

wa alaykoum salaam...

If your family is aware you are Muslim now I would just be flat out honest. Me and my kids and hubby do not visit my family on Easter, Christmas eve or Christmas. If this is one of the few times your family gets together during the year and there are family members there you would like to visit just go to visit after they attend the church service. Explain that you would love to visit and maybe even have lunch/dinner whatever. Explain that you love your mom and the kids love her too you just don't want them to get caught up in the habit of the commercialization of a holiday they will not be celebrating... and then joke about the economy... lol. That's what I would do :)

Be patient with your mom inshaallah God will bless you for it.

MIA0223
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:05 PM

I now live a few hours away from my family, but when I was closer all it took was 1 time for me to decline the invitation and I wasn't invited again! Lol!

Jasminemomof3
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Quoting muhajjirah:

do you have any days to make up for Ramadan? maybe you can fast tomorrow inshaAllah as a silent yet effective way to let your family know that you aren't cool with Easter. maybe only being there part of the day and def not allowing your kids getting involved with any of their religious part of the day, prayer or whatever. sit your children down tonight and explain to them to the level they understand, who knows maybe Allah will guide your kids to object: "we are muslims and we dont do easter traditions. whatever you think they will do that goes
against the teachings of Islam- nonhalal/ nonzabiha meat, Easter egg hunt, any Christian like songs, whatever teach them that this is not pleasing to Allah. tell them you will reward them for their efforts in shying away from these activities. maybe to soften your moms heart so she doesn't get offended as much you can have your kids make a craft for her or something that says "it's because we are Muslims, we love you & Jesus very
much." and you can offer her this at a
moment where she
might be annoyed. off the top oft head, wish I could help more. but be firm and don't compromise Allah's pleasure for even those whom you love the
most. plz let us know how it goes.

actually muhajjirah,this would be my first ramadan this year..as in the church part, my family doesnt go to church.only they do the easter egg hunt or painting of the eggs and then pot roast(beef) the only thing that is religious is when they say grace thats all...I see when tomorrow comes :(

muhajjirah Group Admin
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:58 PM
I like heatUSAs advice, it seems the easiest and doesn't compromise Islam.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jasminemomof3
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Quoting HeatUSA-Tunisia:

wa alaykoum salaam...

If your family is aware you are Muslim now I would just be flat out honest. Me and my kids and hubby do not visit my family on Easter, Christmas eve or Christmas. If this is one of the few times your family gets together during the year and there are family members there you would like to visit just go to visit after they attend the church service. Explain that you would love to visit and maybe even have lunch/dinner whatever. Explain that you love your mom and the kids love her too you just don't want them to get caught up in the habit of the commercialization of a holiday they will not be celebrating... and then joke about the economy... lol. That's what I would do :)

well I finally came out with the truth not too long ago and they werent really happy with it....it almost came to a point that me and my children almost gotten kicked out by my sis but it was my mom's house and I had a chance to stay..but its been a lil difficult with the family but im taking day by day here since I have no where to go.my family doesnt do church on easter like i said to muhajjirah(I hope I spelled it right!) only easter egg hunts and pot roast(beef) the only thing is the grace thats all.

remark
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 11:09 AM

As Salaam Alaikum

Living with non Muslim family is a challenge! Is it possible for you to take the children to the park or museum today? If you are out of the house, then the children won't know what is going on.I'm sorry I have no idea how to assist your children when the festivities begin :( As far as dinner is concerned, ask may you bless the food, or have your children say their blessings to themselves when the grace is said.

I really wish I could be of more help. I will keep you in my duas.

Quoting Jasminemomof3:

Quoting HeatUSA-Tunisia:

wa alaykoum salaam...

well I finally came out with the truth not too long ago and they werent really happy with it....it almost came to a point that me and my children almost gotten kicked out by my sis but it was my mom's house and I had a chance to stay..but its been a lil difficult with the family but im taking day by day here since I have no where to go.my family doesnt do church on easter like i said to muhajjirah(I hope I spelled it right!) only easter egg hunts and pot roast(beef) the only thing is the grace thats all.

Jasminemomof3
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 9:48 PM

it went okey until I left for the store and they did the hunt behind my back while I went..how did I know? I found a stinking egg hidden in my room >_< I wanted to say something but knowing myself I would have blown it out of proportion aughhh!!! >_<

pearl_april
by on May. 3, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Don't attend the celebration.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)