Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Repentance--- ( from sin. or weakness of faith)

Posted by (Group Owner) on Jun. 16, 2011 at 8:31 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 245 Total Views

assalamu alaikum dear sisters.

we have had  two posts this week that address falling into sin. or away from the straight path. and in each, the most important question was how to find the way back... and the answer to that was sincere repentance insha' Allah.

and so. here, I would like to post a fatwa that discusses the issue of repentance, how to do it.. and it shows the daleel from Quran and Sunnah to the points I mentioned in the other posts..  ( slight modification, in font and color to show Quran. hadith, and important points.)

may this be of benefit to all of us.. we all sin, and we are all in need of forgiveness. may Allah guide us to what pleases Him Ameen.

Repentance
I have committed many sins which no one knows of except Allaah. What do I have to do so that Allaah will accept my repentance?

Praise be to Allaah.

A Muslim’s faith may become weak and he may be overwhelmed by his desires. The Shaytaan may make sin attractive to him, so he wrongs himself (commits sin) and falls into that which Allaah has forbidden. But Allaah is Kind to His slaves, and His mercy encompasses all things. Whoever repents after doing wrong, Allaah will accept his repentance, for Allaah is Forgiving and Merciful.

But whosoever repents after his crime and does righteous good deeds (by obeying Allaah), then verily, Allaah will pardon him (accept his repentance). Verily, Allaah is Oft Forgiving, Most Merciful [al-Maa’idah 5:39 – interpretation of the meaning]

Allaah is Forgiving and Generous. He commands all His slaves to repent sincerely so that they may gain the mercy of Allaah and His Paradise. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Turn to Allaah with sincere repentance! It may be that your Lord will expiate from you your sins, and admit you into Gardens under which rivers flow (Paradise)” [al-Tahreem 66:8]

The gate of repentance is open to His slaves, until the sun rises from the west. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah spreads out His Hand at night to accept the repentance of those who did wrong during the day, and He spreads out His Hand during the day to accept the repentance of those who did wrong during the night. (This will continue) until the sun rises from the west.” (Narrated by Muslim, no. 2759)

Sincere repentance is not merely the matter of words spoken on the tongue. Rather, the acceptance of repentance is subject to the condition that the person gives up the sin straight away, that he regrets what has happened in the past, that he resolves not to go back to the thing he has repented from, that he restores people’s rights or property if his sin involved wrongdoing towards others, and that he repents before the agony of death is upon him. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

Allaah accepts only the repentance of those who do evil in ignorance and foolishness and repent soon afterwards; it is they whom Allaah will forgive and Allaah is Ever All-Knower, All-Wise.

And of no effect is the repentance of those who continue to do evil deeds until death faces one of them and he says: ‘Now I repent;’ nor of those who die while they are disbelievers. For them We have prepared a painful torment” [al-Nisaa’ 4:17-18]

Allaah accepts repentance and is Merciful. He calls sinners to repent, so that He might forgive them:

“…your Lord has written (prescribed) Mercy for Himself, so that if any of you does evil in ignorance, and thereafter repents and does righteous good deeds (by obeying Allaah), then surely, He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful” [al-An’aam 6:54 – interpretation of the meaning]

Allaah is Kind to His slaves and loves those who repent. He accepts their repentance, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

And He it is Who accepts repentance from His slaves, and forgives sins, and He knows what you do”[al-Shooraa 42:25]

Truly, Allaah loves those who turn unto Him in repentance and loves those who purify themselves”[al-Baqarah 2:222]

When a kaafir becomes a Muslim, Allaah turns his bad deeds (sayi’aat) into good deeds (hasanaat), and forgives him all his previous sins, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

Say to those who have disbelieved, if they cease (from disbelief), their past will be forgiven” [al-Anfaal 8:38]

Allaah is Forgiving and Merciful, and He loves the repentance of His slaves. He commands them to repent so that He might forgive them. But the devils among mankind and the jinn want to turn people away from the truth and make them incline towards falsehood, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

Allaah wishes to accept your repentance, but those who follow their lusts, wish that you (believers) should deviate tremendously away (from the Right Path) [al-Nisaa’4:27]

The mercy of Allaah encompasses all things. If a person’s sins are very great and he has wronged himself very much, but he then repents, Allaah will accept his repentance and will forgive his sins no matter how great they are. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

Say: O ‘Ibaadi (My slaves) who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of Allaah, verily, Allaah forgives all sins. Truly, He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful”[al-Zumar 39:53]

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Our Lord comes down to the lowest heaven when one-third of the night remains, and says, ‘Who will call upon Me so that I may answer him? Who will ask Me so that I may give to him? Who will seek My forgiveness so that I may forgive him?’” (Narrated by Muslim, no. 758)

Man is weak. If a person sins then he has to repent and seek forgiveness every time. Allaah is Forgiving and Merciful, and He is the One Who says (interpretation of the meaning):

And whoever does evil or wrongs himself but afterwards seeks Allaah’s forgiveness, he will find Allaah Oft Forgiving, Most Merciful” [al-Nisaa’ 4:110]

The Muslim is vulnerable to making mistakes and sins. So he has to repent and seek forgiveness repeatedly. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “By Allaah, I seek the forgiveness of Allaah and I turn to Him in repentance more than seventy times each day.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, no. 6307)

Allaah loves the repentance of His slaves, and accept it. Indeed, He rejoices over it, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When a person repents, Allaah rejoices more than one of you who found his camel after he lost it in the desert.” (Agreed upon. Narrated by al-Bukhaari, no. 6309)

From Usool al-Deen al-Islami by Shaykh Muhammad ibn Ibraaheem al-Tuwayjri

Love and salaam (peace)

(proud2bmom3 Muslim Moms-- Owner. 

by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
genypher
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Thank you for sharing this.

I was raised Catholic and the idea of repentance and reconciliation is one that has stuck with me beyond my leaving the Church.

In Islam, I understand that all forgiveness comes from Allah, but I am wondering if repairing the wrong-doing of one Muslim to the other members of the community is stressed. I see that one must restore or return property, but what about reaching out after harsh words or something of that nature? Of course reconciliation with God is the most important thing for a believer, but is there any call to reconcile with those in the community who may have been wronged by your transgression?

proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Quoting genypher:

Thank you for sharing this.

I was raised Catholic and the idea of repentance and reconciliation is one that has stuck with me beyond my leaving the Church.

In Islam, I understand that all forgiveness comes from Allah, but I am wondering if repairing the wrong-doing of one Muslim to the other members of the community is stressed. I see that one must restore or return property, but what about reaching out after harsh words or something of that nature? Of course reconciliation with God is the most important thing for a believer, but is there any call to reconcile with those in the community who may have been wronged by your transgression?

Hey Gen. the difference between repentance in Christianity. especially Catholicism. and Islam. is that we dont' have confessions.  in fact. in Islam it is the exact opposite. if you sin. conceal your sin. and ask only of Allah to forgive you.  there are no go betweens. and no confessions.

as for repairing damages done with words. there are different opinions.. for example if that was done through gossip and backbiting. a lot of scholars feel that it might bring a lot of hard-feelings if one goes to another to confess bad mouthing them behind their back. so in that case. it is better to not say anything and just ask Allah for forgiveness and try to do more good deeds .. however if bad mouthing them caused them to lose a job or marriage..etc. then I think  it is preferable to fix that  damage.

I will try and dig a little for you so I can back all this up with evidence..

thanks for asking. :) ..

Love and salaam (peace)

proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 11:03 PM
If a person repented and owed money but could not pay it off, what will his fate be in the Hereafter?
In the book al-Tawwaabeen it says that a young man and his wife repented and he said to al-Sirri: I owe money. al-Sirri said: On the Day of Resurrection the penitent and his opponents will be brought and it will be said to them: Let him off, for Allaah will compensate you.
My question is:
If a person repents sincerely and wants to restore people’s rights, whether that is money or anything else, but he cannot do so for some reason or another, will Allaah restore them on his behalf and never punish him in the grave or in the Hereafter?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Repentance means turning back to Allaah and turning from disobedience to obedience, and restoring people’s rights. We have to understand that repentance is obligatory for every Muslim as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Turn to Allaah with sincere repentance”

[al-Tahreem 66:8]

Allaah rejoices over the repentance of the penitents even though He has no need of their obedience. He tells us that He loves the penitent, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Truly, Allaah loves those who turn unto Him in repentance and loves those who purify themselves”

[al-Baqarah 2:222]

The one who transgresses against people transgresses against either their material rights or their intangible rights. In either case he is transgressing against the rulings of sharee’ah.

Based on that, he needs to repent sincerely concerning that which is between him and his Lord, and he needs to restore people’s rights. With regard to intangible rights, the way to do it – besides repenting sincerely – is to pray for forgiveness for them and make du’aa’ for them, if they did not know that he had wronged them. But if he backbit about them, and they got to hear about that, then he must also apologize to them and ask them to forgive him.

With regard to material rights, repentance between him and his Lord is not sufficient, and making du’aa’ for the person is also not sufficient. Rather he must restore these material rights and return things to their owners. If they are not there then he must return it to their heirs.

If he is unable to return it because he does not know who the owner is, then he should give it in charity on his behalf. If he is unable to do that because he is poor, then there is the hope that if his repentance is sincere, then Allaah will pay it off on his behalf so that the owner will be pleased with that, and there is the hope, in sha Allaah, that Allaah will not punish him in the grave or in the Hereafter.

But if he does not repent, then Allaah will restore the person’s rights from the hasanaat (good deeds) of the transgressor; if his hasaanat are all used up then some of the sayi’aat (bad deeds) of the one who was wronged will be taken and added to the burden of the transgressor. This is true bankruptcy, in addition to the punishment that Allaah will inflict on him because of his transgression against sharee’ah.

It says in Rawdat al-Taalibeen (11/246, 247):

If there is any financial right that is connected to the sin, such as withholding zakaah, seizing by force or crimes against people’s wealth, then in addition to that – i.e., repentance – he must also discharge the duty of paying zakaah or returning people’s wealth if it is still there, or by giving something of equal value if it is no longer there, or he may ask the one to whom it rightfully belongs to let him off.

If the one who was transgressed against was not aware of it, he should be told and the transgressor should ensure that what is rightfully his reaches him. If he has died then he should give it to his heir. If he has no heir and nothing is known of him then he should give it to the qaadi whose conduct is good and who is known for his religious commitment. If that is not possible then he should give it in charity on his behalf to the poor, with the intention of compensating him if he finds him.

If he is in financial difficulty, then we think that he should form the intention to pay it back when he can afford it. If he dies before he is able to afford it, then we hope that he will be forgiven by Allaah’s grace.

Al-Nawawi said: I say: The apparent meaning of the Sunnah is that wrongdoing is still attached to him until he pays it back, even if he dies when he is in financial difficulty and is unable to pay it back, if he persisted in not intending to pay it back.

But if he had taken a loan in a permissible manner, but he remained unable to pay it off until he died, or he destroyed something by mistake and was unable to pay compensation for it until he died, then it seems that in this case he will not be required to pay for it in the Hereafter, because he did not commit a sin, and we hope that Allaah will compensate the owner.

With regard to backbiting, if news of it does not reach the victim, then I have read in the fatwas of al-Hinaati that it is sufficient for him to regret it and pray for forgiveness. If news of that did reach him, then the proper way is to contact the victim and ask him to forgive him. If he is not able to do that because he has died or he is away, then he should pray for forgiveness for him. There is no point in seeking forgiveness from the heirs. This is the view of al-Hinaati. End quote.

And Allaah knows best.

Love and salaam (peace)

genypher
by on Jun. 17, 2011 at 10:22 AM

don't want to drive this too far off topic, but for clarity's sake, in Catholicism confession is not necessary for God to forgive a sinner. However, it is believed that through the Sacrament of Reconciliation, the believer and the whole community can be mended through penitent acts. :)

Thanks for the clarification about the Islamic view!

proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:18 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)