Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Wives of the Prophet (peace be upon Him)

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2011 at 7:49 PM
  • 28 Replies
  • 565 Total Views

Asalaamu Alaikum, so this is probably going to be a rather broad question.  Can we discuss a little bit about the wives of the Prophet (peace be upon him)?  I've seen some rather inflammatory things said about them recently and it kinda made me realize I don't know much about them. 

Sorry it's really broad lol.

by on Nov. 30, 2011 at 7:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HeatUSA_Tunisia
by on Nov. 30, 2011 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I will be back to this when my PC is fixed inshaallah.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muslimahpj Group Admin
by on Nov. 30, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Birth and Upbringing          

Khadijah Bint Khuwailid ibn Asad ibn `Abdul `Uzza (Kusai ibn Kilab), a Quraishite woman from the clan of Asad, was born in 68 before Hijra (The Prophet's immigration) i.e., 556 AC. She was brought up to a noble and leading family. She was blessed with good qualities. She was famous for being a chaste and sensible woman with firm determination. During the pre-Islamic period, she was called At-Tahirah (The Pure). 

As a wealthy merchant, Khadijah used to hire some people to speculate in her money. Hearing about Prophet Muhammad's honesty and noble character, she offered to hire him to be in charge of her business journey to the Levant and sent her servant Maysarah with him. He (peace be upon him) accepted her offer and soon Khadijah's profits doubled. Her servant Maysarah used to tell her about Prophet Muhammad's exemplary character. Admiring Prophet Muhammad's noble character, Khadijah proposed to him (peace be upon him) to get married to him. The Prophet (peace be upon him) agreed. Khadijah called in her Uncle Amr ibn As`ad ibn `Abdul `Uzza who soon came and marriage was concluded. At that time Khadijah was forty years old while Muhammad (peace be upon him) was twenty five years old.

Khadijah (may Allah be pleased with her) was Prophet Muhammad's first wife and his most beloved wife. He did not marry another woman in her lifetime. She bore him two sons and four daughters. She bore him Al-Qasim - part of the Prophet's nickname Abu Al-Qasim i.e. father of Al-Qasim-, Abdullah, Ruqayyah, Zaynab, Umm Kulthoum and Fatimah. 

Professing Islam

When Allah (the Almighty) sent Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) with the Message of Islam, Khadijah (may Allah be pleased with her) was the first person to believe in Allah and His Messenger. Of all men and women, Khadijah was the first to embrace Islam. She as well as Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) used to pray in secret till the period of public Calling to Islam.

Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) underwent much suffering and faced utter disbelief from the polytheists of Quraish and it was Khadijah (may Allah be pleased with her) who used to relieve his suffering and console him.

When Allah (the Almighty) sent the Archangel Gabriel with Revelation to Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), he said to Muhammad: "Read in the Name of your Lord! Who created..."Muhammad then rushed to Khadijah with his heart beating severely with fear. He said: "Cover me! Cover me!" She covered him till his fear was over. Then he said: "O Khadijah, what is wrong with me? I am afraid something bad may happen to me." Khadijah replied, "Never! By Allah, Allah will never disgrace you. You keep good relations with your Kith and kin, help the poor and the destitute, serve your guests generously and assist the deserving calamity-afflicted ones."

After that Khadijah took him to her cousin Waraqah ibn Nawfal ibn Asad, who converted to Christianity in the pre-Islamic period and who used to write in Arabic. He used to put the Gospel from Hebrew into Arabic as much as Allah willed him to write. He was an old man who lost his eyesight. Khadijah said to Waraqah, "O my cousin! Listen to the story of your fellow man."Waraqa asked, "O my fellowman! What have you seen?" Then Prophet Muhammad described what he had seen. Waraqah said, "This is the same one (Archangel Gabriel) who keeps the secrets, and whom Allah had sent to Moses."

Her place in the Prophet's Heart

Khadijah was a sensible, noble, pious, chaste, and generous woman. She was given glad tidings of entering Paradise. Allah (the Almighty) ordered His Messenger Muhammad (Peace be upon him) to give her glad tidings of having a palace in Paradise which is built from jewels with neither noise nor toil in it.

Of all Prophet Muhammad's wives, Khadijah had a special place in his heart. `Aishah said: "I did not feel jealous of any of the wives of the Prophet (peace be upon him) as much as I did of Khadijah though I did not see her, but the Prophet (peace be upon him) used to mention her very often, and when ever he slaughtered a sheep, he would cut its parts and send them to the women friends of Khadijah. Once when I said to him, "(You treat Khadijah in such a way) as if there is no woman on earth except Khadijah," he would say, "Khadijah was such-and-such, and from her I had children." 

`Aishah (may Allah be pleased with her) said that Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) praised Khadijah every time he remembered her before he would leave the house. One day he (peace be upon him) praised Khadijah, then `Aishah felt so jealous and said: "Why do you remember an old woman, dead long ago, while Allah has given you a better one in her stead?" The Prophet (peace be upon him) got very angry and told her that Allah had not given him a better one in her stead as she (Khadijah) was the only person to believe in him when all people disbelieved, the only person to believe him when all people belied him, and the only one to bear him children when all his wives did not bear him children. Upon hearing this, A'ishah decided never to speak bad of  Khadijah again.

Death:

Khadijah, the faithful supporter for Allah's Messenger in his pursuit of promulgating Islam, died three years before Hijra (the Prophet's immigration from Mecca to Madinah). She was sixty five years old then. Allah's Messenger interred her in the grave with his own hands. Khadijah's death was a big disaster to Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) which, however, he faced with patience and total surrender to the Will of Allah (the Almighty).

LINK

muslimahpj Group Admin
by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 12:00 AM

th

The first woman Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) married after the death of his first wife Khdija bint Khwailed, and at this time the verse of the Hijab  (women way of clothing) was revealed.    

Her Name and Descent

She is the mother of the beleivers  Sawdah bint-Zam'a bin Qais bin Abd Wed ibn Nasr bin Malek bin Hasal bin Aamer bin Loai Alqurashia Al Ameria ,and her mother Ash Shummous bint Qais bin Zaid bin Omar Al Ansariah.

Her Conversion to Islam; 

She was a sublime and noble lady, one of the virtuous women of her time. Before her marriage to Prophet Muhammad (PBUP), she was married to her cousin who was called As-Sakran bin Amr. When she converted to Islam she took the oath of allegiance to Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) and her husband As-Sakran became a Muslim as well. They both migrated to Abyssinia where she suffered tremendously travelling with him till he died and left her behind sad and recessive with no assistance or profession and her father who was an aged man.

Her Marriage;

In a narration by Aisha (May Allah be Pleased with her), reported by Khawlah Bint Hakim Alsalmiah- Sawda's companion in the migration to Abyssinia-: "when Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)was looking for a wife to run the household and take care of Fatima al-Zahra'(his daughter), he was told to marry Aisha, but he refused at that time because of her young age". So Khawla told him about Sawda Bint Zam'a. She was a conscious middle aged lady, full of faith, even if her youth was gone and she was not much beautiful. Khawla did not even finish her speech when Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) praised Sawda and agreed to marry her.

Prophet Muhammad( PBUH) married Sawda Bint Zam'a  while she had six sons, and her marriage was in Ramadan in the tenth year of Prophet hood ,after the death of Khadija- the Mother of the Believers - in Mecca (it was said ;year eight  of al Hijra  on a four hundred dirhams dowry), and migrated to al Madina. 

Her virtue;

Sawda(may Allah be Pleased with her) is considered one of the virtuous of her time, she became a Muslim and took an oath of allegiance to Prophet Muhammad(PBUH),she migrated to Abyssinia, Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)married her and she was one of the most loved ones to his heart of  his wives, she was known for her righteousness and piety, she narrated a lot of the Prophet's sayings and a lot were narrated about her. The verse of "Hijab" (literally "cover"; it describes the self-covering of the body for the purposes of modesty and dignity) was revealed in her time. One of her special features was her love of charity. 

Her characteristics;

When the Mother of the Believers ‘Aisha (may  Allah be Pleased with her) entered  Prophet Muhammad's(PBUH) house as a beloved wife filling the eyes with youthfulness, funniness and cleverness, Sawda(may Allah be Pleased with her) wanted to abandon her post in the Prophet's (PBUH) house in which she did not see except mercy and dignity for the sake of ‘Aisha (may Allah be Pleased with her)  whose affection , preference and pride of her father made her closer to the Prophet (PBUH),and that was a beautifulness that men adores .

Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) was pleased with ‘Aisha's (May Allah be Pleased with her) company for her cheerfulness and youthfulness in his house, so Sawda (May Allah be Pleased with her) got sulked and felt as being  a prisoner in her husband's house. Prophet Muhammad asked Lady Sawda one day if she wanted divorce, knowing that her only needs from marriage is protection and comfort, and she had this in the Prophet's house for she was living under the inviolability of the Prophet and the blessing of Allah the Almighty.

As her feminine jealousness was at ease, Sawda said: "Messenger of Allah; I have no keenness to be your wife like ‘Aisha, so keep me just to live near you, to love whom you love and to be pleased for your happiness.

Sawda consolidated herself to tame her jealousy with piety, and to give her day which the Prophet used to spend with her to ‘Aisha.

And after the Prophet (PBUH)married Hafsa bint Omar (May Allah be pleased with them) as a consolidation after her husband died and her age did not exceed eighteen, Sawda's life was at ease living with two other wives of the Prophet, but she was closer to ‘Ayisha, trying to satisfy her for her husband's  sake.

Sawda was of praise worthy ethics, a good woman that loves charity so much. ‘Aisha talked about her and said:'' the wives of the Prophet (PBUH) told the Prophet one day:''O Messenger of Allah, which one of us will be the next to die to follow you? He (PBUH) said: ''the one of you with the longest hand''. After the Prophet's (PBUH) death we knew that the length of her hand was because of charity.

Her works;

Sawda narrated five Hadiths from the Prophet's.

Abdullah bin Abbas and Yahya bin Abdul Rahman bin Sa'din Zarah Al Ansari reported from her.

Abu Dawood and Al Nasaie narrated from her.

Her Death;

Sawda died at the end of Omar bin Al Khattab's khilapha .It is said that she died in Al Madinah Al Munawwara in Shawwal year fifty four. Ibn Abbas performed "sujoud" when she died.

When He was asked for the reason, he said:'' Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said: if you see a sign kneel.'' So what sign is greater than witnessing the death of the Prophet's wives...........

Check out the groups above

muslimahpj Group Admin
by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 12:02 AM

Lady Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her) is what this humanity possesses of bright mind, sharp wit, and abundant knowledge. Additionally, for her effective role in  serving the Islamic thought through relating Prophet Muhammad's (PBUH) Hadiths (narrations); interpreting a lot of the aspects of the Prophet's (PBUH) life and her juristic deductions.

She is also a woman who exceeded the boundaries of her role as a woman to become a teacher for a whole nation that is the Islamic nation.

May Allah be Pleased with her was one of the skilful people in Qur'an, Hadith and Islamic Jurisprudence, thus Urwah- bin al- Zubair said:'' I have never seen someone who knows more of the Qur'an and its  commandments, nor al-Hallal (lawfulness), or Haram( sinful deeds), or poetry, or Arabs oratory or backgrounds than Aisha.''

In this researchable point I have raised three domains in which lady Aisha (may Allah be Pleased with her) has been distinguished in, and they are:   

1-Her knowledge and teachings. 

2-The oratorical interpreter lady. 

3-The lady faqiha (Islamic jurist).

I have chosen these domains for their importance and obvious influence on the Islamic community and thought, Lady Aisha (may Allah be Pleased with her) with her knowledge and her knowingness contributed in amending the concepts, and the orientation to follow the Messenger of Allah's Sunnah (Prophet's tradition), that's why the  intellectuals used to go to her to grasp from her abundant knowledge ,thereby she became an  illuminative source (lamp)  that sheds its light on the people of science and its students . That is lady Aisha bint- abi- Bakr- al- Siddiq- Abdullah -bin- Othman (May Allah be Pleased with them) Prophet Muhammad's wife and the most proficient Islamic jurist of the women of Islam and the most knowledgeable of Qur'an, the Hadith (the Prophet's tradition); and Jurisprudence.

She was born in Makkah in the eighth year before al- Hijra. Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) married her the second year of A.H, she was the most relaying of his Hadiths amongst his women.

She was one of the Prophet's most beloved women, she talks about it and say:'' I was superior to the wives of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) in ten with no pride, I was the dearest to his heart; my father was the dearest to him ;he married me a seven year old and consummated the marriage when I was nine years old ; the proof of my  innocence has been revealed by Allah (meaning the slander incident ). Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) took permission from his other wives during his sickness saying:' I have no strength to come to you frequently ,so permit me to stay at some of you, so um- Salamah said:'' we knew who you want ,you want Aisha,  you have our permission.'' ; his last meal in this world  was my saliva/spittle ; so he cleaned his teeth with my (siwak) toothpick; he died between my lap and my bosom; and was buried in my house.'' May Allah be Pleased with her died in fifty-eighth A.H.

Her Knowledge and Teachings 

Lady Aisha (may Allah be Pleased with her) is considered one of the senior intellectuals and jurisprudent (fiqhan) women of the world, she had known of all that relates to al-Din (religion), Quran, Hadith; interpretation; and jurisprudence. She (may Allah be Pleased with her) was a reference to the Prophet's (PBUH) Companions when they encountered a difficult matter they used to take her Islamic opinion and find solution from her for what had been problematic for them . Abu Musa al-Ashari said:'' never had we (the Companions of the Prophet) encountered any difficulty regarding Hadith and we asked Aisha about it, but got useful information from her.''

Lady Aisha's status among Muslims was the status of the teacher amongst his students, if she heard inaccurate narrations from the Muslim intellectuals and the Companions of the Prophet (PBUH), she would correct them for them and clarify what was unknown to them, so she was famous for that, and everyone who had a suspicion regarding a relation came to her asking.

Lady Aisha (may Allah be Pleased with her ) has been distinguished by her refine knowledge for enabling factors which made her reach this status , some of the most important factors are; 

-Her sharp intelligence in addition to her formidable memory, that's because she narrated a lot of the Hadiths of the Prophet (PBUH).

-Her marriage to the Prophet (PBUH) in an early age and her upbringing in the Prophethood household, so she became " the student of Prophet-hood."

-The many times in which the Prophet (PBUH) received Divine revelation (Alwahy by Gabriel) while he was in her room and in that she had superiority over the other wives of the Prophet (PBUH).

- Her passion for knowledge and science, she would ask and inquire if she had no knowledge of something or if she encountered a difficulty in a case, that's why ibn-abi-Malikah said:'' she never heard something - which she had no recollection of - but revised till she memorize.''

As a result of her knowledge and jurisprudence, her blessed quarter became the scholars' destination till this quarter became the first school of Islam and the greatest influence in the history of Islam, furthermore, she used to install a veil as a separator (curtain) between her and her students, that's when Masrouk said:''I heard her clapping hands from behind the separating veil.''

Lady Aisha(may Allah be Pleased with her) followed refined techniques in her teachings following the Prophet's (PBUH) steps, the ones he used in teaching his Companions (al Sahabah) .

One of these techniques is not hurrying in speech, instead talking slowly so the learner would comprehend. Urwa said that Lady Aisha said in denunciation :'' Abu- Huraira came once and sat beside my quarters relaying of the Prophet (PBUH) making me listen to it. At that time I was praying (glorifying Allah), consequently he left before I had finished my rosary. Had I caught up with him I would have replied, that the Prophet (PBUH) did not narrate al- Hadith the way you narrate it.''

Another teaching techniques she used as well, teaching in a practical way, in order to clarify the arbitrations of the practical legitimacies such as ablution (wudhou'). applying

She was never embarrassed in answering the person who came to her asking about the legal opinions issued by Islam (fatwa) in any of the issues concerning religion even if it was of one's most specific personal issues.

We noticed as well that Lady Aisha (may Allah be Pleased with her ) used to use  the scientific technique joined with evidence from the Quran or al-Sunnah , that's obvious in Massrouks' narration when he said:'' Abu Bakr  (May Allah Be pleased with him) was leaning at Aisha's. She said :O father of Aisha ,three whoever speaks of, slanders  greatly to Allah. He said :what are they? She said: who  alleged that the Prophet(PBUH) saw Allah has greatly slandered to Allah. Abu Bakr said: I was leaning then sat down and said: await me and do not haste me, did not Allah the Almighty  say:(And indeed he (The Prophet) already saw him on the evident horizon .And indeed he did already see him (during) another descent). Al-takweer81:2), (an-Najm53:13)

Thus she said :I am the first of this nation to ask the Prophet(PBUH) of this and he said:( it is but the Angel Jibril( Gabriel), I have not seen his true image ,the one he was created by, except these two times, I saw him descend from the sky blocking by his mighty image what's  between the sky and earth. So she said :haven't you heard that Allah says :( Beholdings (i.e., eyesights) cannot perceive Him, and He perceives be holdings and He is The Ever-Kind, The Ever-Cognizant. (103, al-Anaam)

Haven't you heard that Allah says :( And in no way is it feasible for a mortal that Allah should speak to Him, except by revelation or from beyond a curtain, or that He should send a Messenger; then He reveals whatever He decides, by His permission. Surely He is Ever-Exalted, Ever-Wise. (Al-Shura: 51:42)

She said: and whoever claims that the Prophet hid something from Allah's book (the Quran) did slander greatly on Allah and Allah says :( O you Messenger, proclaim whatever has been sent down to you from your Lord; and in case you do not perform (that), then in no way have you proclaimed His Message.(al-Maedah:5:67)

And she said whoever speaks of tomorrow (the unseen) has greatly slandered and Allah says : (Say, "None knows the Unseen in the heavens and the earth except Allah. (An-Naml27:65)

Thus it becomes obvious to us that Lady Aisha (may Allah be Pleased with her) was a stronghold of the Islamic thought, in addition, a siraj (source) that illuminates on the students of science.

Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) loved her and preferred her for her cleverness and her love for knowledge thereby; said:'' a lot of men have been perfect, and none of the women were perfect except Asia -pharaohs' wife- and Mariam bint- Umran, and the superiority of Aisha to other women is like the superiority of "tharid" (that is a meat and bread dish that was the best to eat at these times) to other meals.''

The Orator Interpreter Lady 

Lady Aisha was a proficient scientist interpreter and orator, teaching the women believers, in addition, a lot of the Prophet's Companions asked her in issues of al-Din (religion). Allah hasdestined for her all the means that made her one of the pioneers of the interpretation (tafsir) realm.

If we go through her great role in interpretation we will find that being the daughter of Abu- Bakr- al -Siddiq is one of the reasons that enabled her to occupy this status in the realm of interpretation. As a child she heard the Quran from her father As Siddiq, moreover her cleverness and her formidable memory were additional reasons. We notice that from her saying:'' it was revealed to the Prophet (PBUH) in Makkah and I was running and playing: (No indeed, (but) the Hour is their appointment, and the Hour is more calamitous and more bitter.)(Al-Qamar54:46); never had Surat al Bakara and An-Nisaa' been revealed unless I was with him).

One of the many important reasons is that she used to witness the descending of the Revelation (al-Wahy) on the Messenger of Allah ,and she used to ask the Prophet (PBUH) about the meanings of the verses of the Quran once she hears them, hence fore, she combined the honor of receiving the Quran from the Prophet (PBUH) as soon as it is revealed and getting its meanings from the Prophet (PBUH) as well. She has accumulated besides all that all what the interpreter must have, like being perfect in the Arabic language, her eloquence and the Excellency of her exposition.

Lady Aisha (may Allah be Pleased with her) was careful in interpreting the holy Quran following the principles and creeds of Religion, and that is obvious in what Urwah said asking Lady Aisha regarding Allah's saying:''

(They were reprieved) until, when the Messengers gave up hope and thought that they were denied (by their people), then came to them Our Help, and whomsoever We willed were delivered. 
(Yusuf12:110)

Urwah was confused in understanding the word " denied" and whether they were denied by people or by Allah. Aisha  said: "Allah forbids, the Messengers did not think that of their Lord (Allah)". Urwah said: so what does this verse mean? She said: the followers of the Messengers believed in their Lord (Allah), and believed them, but when the victory was delayed, the Messengers were finally in despair from their people and thought that their followers had counted them liars. Finally Allah's victory came to them at that point.''

Moreover, in another situation it is revealed to us that lady Aisha used to be eager to show how the verses of the Quran are related through explaining and interpreting the Quran using Quran. And by that Lady Aisha has paved the way for all who came after her the most idealistic ways in understanding the Quran.

As for being one of the greatest who memorized and narrated al-Sunnah "the Prophet's sayings" between the Companions, she has occupied the fifth place in memorizing and interpreting the Prophet's Hadiths, she came after abi- Huraira ,ibn- Omar, Anas- bin- Malek, and ibn- Abbas (may Allah be Pleased with them). Nevertheless, she was distinguished in that because most of the sayings which she narrated,  she heard directly from the Prophet(PBUH)himself. In addition, a lot of the Hadiths which she narrated had included actual Sunan that's because the blessed quarters became the first school of Hadith where the scholars goes to in order to visit the Prophet and receive al Sunnah from the lady who was the closest person to the Prophet, she never held back her knowledge from any of them, that's why the number of the narrators who narrated on her behalf were huge.

She used to believe that it is imperative to keep the words of the Hadiths as they are. We have noticed that from the narration of Urwa bin az-Zubair when Aisha said to him:'' O nephew it came to my knowledge that Abdullah- bin- Amr is passing by on his way to the Pilgrimage (al hajj). Meet him and ask him to tell you some of the Prophet's sayings, for he took from him great knowledge. Urwa said:" I have met him and asked him about things he heard from the Prophet. When I reported one of the Hadiths I've heard from him to Aisha, she was astonished and said: "did he tell you that he heard the Prophet saying this?" ".

Later, Aisha asked Urwah again to ask bin Amr about the Hadith he had mentioned to him, when bin Amr reached Madienah.

Urwah said:" I met him therefore and asked him to retell the Hadith. He mentioned it to me the same way he mentioned it the first time. When I told Aisha that, she said :"I don't think but he uttered the truth, I can see that he didn't  add to it nor did he decrease.'' "

This is why some narrators of the Hadith came to her and made her listen to some of the Hadiths so they would verify its authenticity. In addition, if they disagreed on a certain matter they would refer to her. From  all of this it becomes obvious to us the role of lady Aisha, and her preference in transmitting the Prophethood Sunnah and  spreading it between people ,additionally, only if Allah did not make her fit for that, a great part of the actual Sunnah would have been lost in the Prophet's household.

The Jurist Lady

Lady Aisha (may Allah be Pleased with her) was one of the senior knowledgeable, jurisprudent women in the world. One of the senior intellectual jurist companions of the Prophet (PBUH).

Moreover, as we have mentioned before that the companions of the Prophet used to take her legal opinions based on Islam (yastaftonaha) and she would give it to them (fataftihem). It was mentioned by Al-Qasem -bin -Muhammad that lady Aisha has been working in giving her fatwa( legal opinion based on Islam) since the succession of Abu Bakr in handling the Muslims issues  till she died. Furthermore, she did not stop at what she has learnt from the Prophet but rather deducted juristically in extracting laws for the incidents which did not have a verdict in the Quran or al-Sunnah. If she was asked of a verdict of a certain issue she would look it up in the Quran and Hadith, if she didn't find any she would deduct juristically to extract the verdict, till it was said that a quarter of the Islamic laws and verdicts are transmitted by her. As an example, her confirming the unlawfulness of what is called "pleasure marriage" taking evidence from Allah's saying:( And they are the ones who preserve their private parts, Except with their spouses or what their right hands possess; then surely they are not blameworthy (Literally: other than being blameworthy). Yet, whoever inequitably seeks (anything) beyond that, then those are the ones who are the aggressors-(al-Maarij70:29,30,31) 

Lady Aisha has some specific  Islamic jurisprudence opinions in which she contradicted the opinions of the companions, some of these opinions are:

1- The legality of praying supererogatory (voluntary) prayers -nawafel-after the afternoon (al- Asr) prayer, saying that Prophet Muhammad never left the two supererogatory prayers after al- Asr prayer.'' and despite the fact that it is known that praying supererogatory prayers after al- Asr is not preferable, some of the scholars (Islamic jurists) said that praying extra prayers after al- Asr prayer is of the Prophet's privacies.

2- She has also seen that the number of Ramadan's  voluntary prayers are eleven (raka'at) with al-Witr (the odd prayer) taking evidence from the Prophets prayer, and that's when Abu- Sallamah bin Abdur-Rahman asked her :'' How was Prophet Muhammad's(PBUH) prayer during Ramadan(the fasting month)? She said :the prophet did not exceed in Ramadan nor at any other time than eleven units of prayer, praying four raka'at ,don't ask of their goodness and length ,then prays another four, don't ask of their goodness and length, then prays three. I said :O Messenger of Allah :do you sleep before praying  al-Witr (the odd)? So He said:(O Aisha my eyes sleep but my heart never sleeps).''

In spite of that the companions used to pray 20 (Rak'at) and this is not against what the Prophet did.

Thus, Lady Aisha has accumulated the Excellency of her exposition in addition to her minds' temperance, till Al-Ata' said about her: "Aisha was the most jurist of people in addition, her opinion of the common was better than all the people.''

The Conclusion

Lady Aisha (may Allah be Pleased with her) died at the age of sixty- six , after leaving the deepest impact on the Islamic  jurisprudence ,social and political life of Muslims .Additionally, she kept for them some few thousands of Prophet Muhammad's (PBUH) authentic Hadiths.

May Allah be pleased with her had outlived Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) to correct people's opinion of the Arabic woman, thus she had accumulated (may Allah be Pleased with her) between all the aspects of the Islamic sciences, for she is the Lady intellectual, interpreter, narrater, jurist. Moreover, as we have mentioned earlier she is the one whom Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said about:'' the superiority of Aisha to other women is like the superiority of tharid (meat and bread dish) to other meals.'' as if she was superior to women.

Urwah said of her:'' I haven't seen a more knowledgeable person in jurisprudence, or medicine, or poetry than Aisha.''  Abu-Omar bin-Abdulbar said of her the same.

Furthermore, thus we feel the deepest influence of Lady Aisha who was considered a luminous source on scholars and intellectuals, because she was the closest companion to the teacher of the nation and the most beloved Prophet Muhammad, and who took a lot from him and benefited the Islamic society. For that she is considered an extension of the Messenger of Allah (PBUH).

muslimahpj Group Admin
by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Here is the main link for all the info I am posting

muslimahpj Group Admin
by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 12:05 AM

Lady Hafsa    

She is Hafsah Bint -Omar the Emir of believer (Omar Ibnul-Khattab) may Allah be pleased with them, she was born before five years of the mission of the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). She was an honest wife to Khanis Bin-Huthafa Al-Sahmi (one of the Prophet's (PBUH) companion) who emigrated twice, one to Abyssinia with other emigrants in order to protect his religion, then to Madinah in order to support his Prophet (PBUH). He also witnessed the battle of Badr first then the battle of Uhud, in which he wounded then died. Hafsah Bint-Omar became a widow when she was only twenty years old. 

The Prophet's (PBUH) marriage to Hafsah:

Omar Ibnul-Khattab felt so sad for his young daughter, and he could not bare to see his daughter's gloomy face after becoming a loneness widow, while she had lived a very happy matrimonial life. Thus, he thought to find a husband to her after she finishes her iddah (The period prescribed by Islamic law for a woman during which she may not remarry after being widowed or divorced).

Many days passed and no one proposed to her, and Omar did not know that the Prophet (PBUH) intended to marry her and his companions Abu-Bakr and Othman knew about that. When many days passed and his young sad widow daughter was suffering, he proposed her to Abu-Bakr who did not answer him, then he proposed her to Othman who said: I see not to marry today. Omar became so sad and complained to the Prophet (PBUH) who said: Hafsah would marry someone better than Othman, and Othman would marry someone better than Hafsah..?!

But Omar had no idea of what the Prophet (PBUH) was saying, because of his great grief. After that the Prophet (PBUH) proposed to her and Omar accepted, with the great honor of being related to the Prophet (PBUH) by marriage, and felt being nearer to the Prophet and having the same position as Abu Bakr when the Prophet married his daughter Aisha.

Then Othman get married the Prophet's (PBUH) daughter Umm-Kulthum after the death of her sister Ruqaia (his ex-wife). After the Prophet (PBUH) married Hafsah, Omar met Abu-Bakr who apologized to him and said: do not be angry with me, I did not want to reveal the Prophet's (PBUH) secret of marrying Hafsah, while if he did not do that, I would do.

Thus, Omar and his daughter became very happy, and blessed be the Prophet (PBUH) who granted Omar with this great honor of being related to him by marriage, and who eased Hafsah's suffering of widowhood and separation. The Prophet (PBUH) married Hafsah in the third year of emigration, with a dowry of 400 Dirhams, and she was twenty years old only.

Hafsah in the House of Prophecy:

Hafsah Bint -Omar Ibnul-Khattab may Allah be pleased with them obtained the great honor as well as Aisha Bint-Abu Bakr, with the high rank between the other (Believers' Mothers) may Allah be pleased with them..!!

Hafsah was the Prophet's (PBUH) third wife after Sawdah and Aisha.

However, Sawda welcomed her, while Aisha was confused of what to do with this young wife, the daughter of Alfaruq (Omar) who had glorified Islam and terrified the unbelievers..!!

Aisha kept silent with this unexpected marriage, although  she could not bear the idea of another wife (Sawda), but now there is Hafsah a third wife which means to share with them the one third?!

Aisha decreased her jealousy of Hafsah after the Prophet's marriage to other wives: (Zainab, Umm Salamah, 2ed Zainab, Juwayriah and Safiyah), so she could not but to love her, and Hafsah became glad for that.

Hafsah's Characteristics:

Hafsah the believers' mother, who fasts frequently, and prays a lot at nights, as Gabriel peace upon him witnessed, and told the Prophet: "she is your wife - O Messenger of Allah - inParadise!!". She grasped Allah's sermons carefully, followed the Holy Quran - that she recited, contemplated and understood - in all her behaviors. Her great concern of the Holy Quran attracted her father's attention, therefore he entrusted the version of the Holy Quran - which was written in Abu-Bakr's succession after the Prophet's death  identical to the last version revealed by Gabriel to him twice in Ramadan- to his daughter Hafsah "the Mother of all believers' ".

Keeping the Version of the Holy Quran with Hafsah:

"The Precious Charge"

Kharijah Bin-Zaid Bin-Thabit reported from his father:"Abu-Bakr had orderd me to collect the whole Quranic verses and write them down, so I did that by writing them down on  leafs and papyrus. After Abu-Bakr had passed away, Omar wrote that in one leaf kept by him. When Omar passed away too, this leaf had kept by Hafsah, the Prophet's (PBUH) wife. Then, Othman asked Hafsah to give him this leaf, and promised to return it back, and she accepted. So, he compared between this leaf and what he had of the copy of the Holy Quran and returned it back to her delightedly. So he ordered people to write whole Holy Quran down in one book.

This was the second collection of the Holy Quran by Othman after the first one done by Abu-Bakr under Omar's consultation. Because of the increased number of killing that happened to the men who memorized the Quran while they were fighting (Musailama Al kathab). Nearly seventy men of those memorizers were killed in Al-Yamamah Battle.

The Features of this Act of Collecting the Holy Quran: 

First: Everyone who had memorized any verse from the Prophet (PBUH), came and reported it to Zaid Bin-Thabet.

Second: Anyone who had written down any verse in the Prophet's (PBUH) presence brought it to Zaid.

Third: Zaid did not accept to write any verse unless it was written down in front of the Prophet (PBUH).

Forth: Writing down the verses of the Quran were applied after making a comparison between what had been memorized and what was written; they did not depend only on one of them. 

Fifth:Zaid did not accept any verse reported by anyone until two men witnessed that he had listened and memorized from the Prophet (PBUH) directly. Thus, this is a team recording, and the team must consist of three or more.  

Sixth: this collection and adjustment of the Holy Quran-as a first version- is done according to the last review between Gabriel and the Prophet (PBUH) before his death. 

This great mission was done by Zaid with the participation of Omar Ibnul-Khattab. Uroah Bin-Alzubaier reported that Abu-Bakr said to Omar and Zaid: "sit at the door of the mosque and write down any Quranic verse reported by anyone having two witnesses"!!. In (Jamal Alquraa) Alhafeth Alsakhawi said: "the purpose of having two witnesses is either to witness that this written Quranic verse had been written in front of the Prophet (PBUH), or that this Quranic verse is one of the various readings of the Holy Quran as it was revealed (in order to be in conformity with the various Arabic dialects).

When the Prophet's companions agreed with the Emir of the Believer Othman Bin-Affan to write one unified version of the Holy Quran and making copies of it, Othman asked for the original leaf of the Holy Quran from Hafsah. 

This is the precious charge, which Omar Ibnul-Khattab entrusted  with his daughter Hafsah the Mother of all believers, and which was kept by her faithfuly and which she took care of carefully. So, the companions, their followers, and the followers of the followers until nowadays and until the doomsday, will acknowledge her great deed whenever telling the story of collecting the Holy Quran in the days of Abu-Bakr and Othman. Hafsah continued her good deeds of praying and fasting after the death of Othman and Ali until she passed away in the onset of Muawia's era. The people of Madinah farewelled her to her final resting place in Albaqie' with the other Mothers of all may Allah be pleased with them all. L  

muslimahpj Group Admin
by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Her Name & Title:

She is Zainab daughter of Khozaima AlHarith son of Abdullah son of Abdu Manaf son of Hilal son of Amer son of Sa'sa' Al-Hilalia. Historians agreed on her ancestry to her father as declared by Son of Abd Al-Bar in her biography, which is agreed upon by all our sources. As regards her ancestry to her mother, it was dropped by our sources. In the pre-Islamic era she used to be called the mother of the needy. All sources agreed on describing her as kind and generous to the poor and needy in the pre-Islamic era and during Islam, her name is hardly written in any book without mentioning her title as the mother of the needy.

Her marriage to Allah's Messenger (PBUH):

Zainab daughter of Khozaima was one of the Prophet's (PBUH) wives who entered the house of the Prophet shortly after he got married to Hafsa, as she was a widow of an early immigrant who got martyred hence she became the fourth mother of believers. It seems that due to her short stay in the house of Allah's Messenger (PBUH) the writers of the biography of Allah's Messenger (PBUH) were turned away from her. As a result her news were mentioned few times and were marked with contradiction and discrepancy. She was the widow of an early immigrant called Obaida son of Al-harith son of Abd-Almutalib, who was martyred in Badr, so Allah's Messenger (PBUH) married her in the 3rd year of Hijra. It is said that the marriage was only nominal as Allah's Messenger (PBUH) married her out of pity. It differed who handled her marriage to Allah's Messenger (PBUH). In the book called "Al-Isaba" (the Score), Son of kalbi said that Allah's Messenger (PBUH) engaged and then married her. Son of Hisham said that her uncle, Quobaisa son of Amr al-Hilali, handled her marriage to Allah's Messenger (PBUH) and that her dower was 400 Dirham.

Also the period of her stay in the house of Allah's Messenger (PBUH) was debatable. In "Al-Isaba" there is a version stating that Allah's Messenger (PBUH) married her shortly after he married Hafsa daughter of Omar (May Allah be pleased with them) and that she died two or three months later. Another version from the same book states that "Allah's Messenger (PBUH) married her in the month of Ramadan in the 3rd year of Hijra and that she lived with him for eight months and died in Rabie Alakher of the 4th year of Hijra. In a book named "Shatharat Al-Dahab" (Particles of Gold) there is a version stating that "Allah's Messenger (PBUH) married Zainab daughter of Khozaima Al-Ameria, mother of the needy, in the 3rd year of Hijra and that she died after three months". Zainab daughter of Khozaima was the most generous among the wives of Allah's Messenger (PBUH) to the orphans and needy hence she was called the mother of the needy.

Her Death:

It is preponderant that she died when she was thirty years old as stated by Al-Wakedi and also by Ibn Hajar in 'Al-Isaba". She rested in peace just like she lived in peace. Allah's Messenger (PBUH) performed her funeral prayer and buried her in Al-Baqie' in the month of Rabie Alakher in the forth year of Hijra. She was the first mother of believers (May Allah be pleased with them All), to be buried in Al-Baqie', dying after eight months of her marriage. None of the mothers of believers died during the life of Allah's Messenger (PBUH) except for Khadija, the first mother of the believers, who is buried in Al-Hojoun and Zainab daughter of Khozaima Al-Hilalia, mother of the believers and mother of the needy.

muslimahpj Group Admin
by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 12:13 AM

Her Descent

Hind was the daughter of Suhail who was known as Abi Umaya Ibn Almughira. She is from Quraish and from the family of "Makhzoum". Her grandfather Almughira was known for his extreme generosity. Lady Hind was married to Abu Sallama Abdullah Ibn Abdul Assad Al Makhzoumi.

Her Qualities

Um Sallama was one of the most perfect women in reason and in manners. She and her husband Abu Sallama were among the first people who embraced Islam. She immigrated with Abi Sallama to Abyssinia, gave birth to Sallama, returned to Mecca, and then they immigrated to Madinah. She also had another daughter and a son from her husband Abu Sallama. She was the first woman to immigrate to Madinah. Abu Sallama died of a wound in the Battle of Uhud after fighting with dedication. Abi Salama always prayed to Allah that his family would be left with the best. In the fourth 'Hijri year 'post-immigration, the Messenger of Allah married Umm Salama after Abu Sallama's death; and she became the mother of all believers. Abu Sallama's children, Sallama, Omar, and Zaynab were raised up by the generous Messenger of Allah (PBUH).

She was among those (medium level) who were known in the field of "Fatwa". Her opinion concerning religious issues was seriously taken among others like Othman, Abu Hurayra, Abdullah Ibn Amr, and Annas, etc.

Her Marriage to the Prophet (PBUH)

When the number of days, after which a woman is allowed to marry another man after her first husband's death, passed, Abu Bakr proposed to her to marry her but she declined. The Messenger of Allah (PBUH), pitying her and her orphans who were the children of his foster brother, proposed to her. She said that she is not good enough for marriage. Old as she was, she could never have more children. She said she is a jealous woman, and has children to support. The Messenger of Allah replied that he is older than her, and that Allah purifies hearts from jealousy. Umm Sallama then sent her son Omar Ibn Abi Sallama to marry her to the Messenger of Allah (PBUH).

When they were married, Lady A'isha may Allah be pleased with her became very sad because of what she heard about Umm Sallama's beauty. When she saw her she said that she was more beautiful than she imagined her to be.

The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) once traveled and took with him Lady Safiya Bint Hoyay and Lady Umm Sallama. The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) went to Safiya's Howdah thinking it is Umm Sallama's in Umm Sallama's day. The Prophet started talking to Safiya. Umm Sallama told him: "You speak to the daughter of the Jew in my day. Oh Messenger of Allah Pray that Allah would forgive me. That made me jealous.."

Her Characteristics and Morals

Umm Sallama gave the Messenger of Allah a correct opinion on the day of Hodaybeya. When the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) reconciled with the people of Mecca, he told his companions to slaughter and then shave. Not one man did what he said even when he told them three times. He left them and went to Umm Sallama and told her what happened. She told him to go out to them and do first what he asked them to do. The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) did as she told him; he started with the slaughter and shaving. When they saw him they immediately did the same.

Umm Sallama is one of the best examples for wives and mothers to follow in the way she raised her children, taught them good manners. She was a very good wife and mother. She was reasonable, had a solid character, could make her own decisions, and was very well mannered.

Her Role in Narrating the Prophet's Sayings (Hadith)

Umm Sallama the mother of the believers narrated a lot of Hadiths. She is considered the second narrator after Lady A'isha; the mother of the believers. Umm Sallama narrated 378 Hadiths according to the book of Ibn Mukhallad. Bukhari and Muslim agreed upon 13 of them. According to 'Tohfat Al Ashraf' Umm Sallama narrated 158 Hadiths.

The Contents of her Reported Sayings

The presence of the two mothers of the believers, Umm Sallama and A'isha may Allah be pleased with them among the companions of the Prophet and outliving the Prophet (PBUH) with many years made many people ask them questions to get the right Islamic opinion from them. After the death of the mother of the believers A'isha in the year 58 Hijri, Umm Sallama may Allah be pleased with her - being the last of the mothers of the believers - was greatly sought for 'Fatwa' and narration of Hadiths. That made her narrations many. Um Sallama narrated a lot about purity, prayer, zakah, fasting, pilgrimage 'Hajj', funerals, marriage, battles, etc. That proves her sharp memory and her interest in the Prophet's sayings 'Hadiths'.

Her Students

A generation of students (men and women) from different countries reported her narrations:

-Some of the Companions, such as:

Aisha, Abu Saeed Al Khudary, Omar bin abi Sallama, Anas bin Malik, Barida Al Aslamy, Sulaiman bin Barida, Abu Rafi' and Ibn Abbas- May Allah be pleased with them all...

- Some Followers, such as:

Saeed bin Al Musayyab, Sulaiman bin Yasaar, Shakik bin Sallama, Abdullah bin Abi Malika, Amer Ash Shu'abi, Al Aswad bin Yazeed, Mujahid, Atta' bin Abi Rabah, Shahr bin Hawshab, Nafi' bin Jubair, and others...

-Some of the Women, such as:

Um Sallama's daughter, Hind bint Al Harith, Safyya bint abi Ubaid, Umrah bint Abdul Rahman, and others.

-And some of Al Koufa women, such as:

Umrah bint Af'a, Jisra bint Dajajah, Um Masawer Al Hameeri, and others......

For more information see 'Amal Qirdash bint Al Hussein, The Role of Women in Serving 'Hadith' in the First Three Centuries, The book of Umma, Vol. 70.

Her Death

Lady Umm Sallama lived for about ninety years and was the last mother of believers to die in the year 62 Hijri.

muslimahpj Group Admin
by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 12:14 AM

Lady Zainab Bint-Jahsh was a woman of dignity among her tribe Quraish, disciplined herself by Islam which enlightened her heart and bestowed her with Allah fearing and goodness to be a rare precious woman. She was one of the ladies of present life for her being pious, Allah fearing, generosity and charity for the poor. As the Prophet (BPUH) married her, she became one of the believers’ mothers. Her dignity and nobility became greater and the historians wrote about her frequently, because her marriage was mentioned in the Holy Quran, and because of her, the Hijab became obligatory. She used to invoke Allah with humanity, forbearing, fasting and praying voluntary night prayer. She was very generous with the poor and needy people which made her a great ideal of generosity, bounty and good manners. So, she was called: the mother of needy people, orphanage and shelter of widows. Thus, she had the priority in righteous deeds, had a perfect autobiography in our Islamic history. She is a splendid example for all other Muslim women to follow her characteristics and her guidance in order to obtain the contentment of Allah and his Messenger (PBUH).

Her name and lineage:

“Zainab Bint-Jahsh Bin-Rbab Bin-Ya’mur Bin-Murrah Bin-Katheer Bin-Ghanam Bin-Doran Bin-Asad Bin-Khuzaima”, her nickname is Um Al-Hakam. Her uncles (Mother’s Brothers) are: 1-Hamzah Bin-Abdulmuttalib- may Allah be pleased with him- called “Allah’s Lion” and the “master of martyrs“ in the Battle of Uhd. 2-Alabbas Bin-Abdulmuttalib who was known of his generosity and donation in times of need. Her aunt (Mother’s sister) is Safiyah Bint- Abdulmuttalib Alhashimeah, the mother of Azzubair Bin-Alauam AlasadI, the Prophet’s (PBUH) disciple. Her brothers are: Abdullah Ibn-Jahsh Alasadi who held the first banner in Islam and one of the martyrs. And Abd Ibn-Jahsh one of the first Muslims who emigrated to Madinah. She has two sisters; Umaimah Bint- Abdulmuttalib the Prophet’s (PBUH) aunt. And Hemnah Bint-Jahsh one of the first Muslim women. Lady Zainab-may Allah be pleased with her- was born in Makkah seventeen years before emigration and in some narrations “thirty years“ before emigration. She grew up in a house full of dignity, pedigree and nobility, she was so proud of her family and said once :”I am the lady of Abd Shams family”.

Her embracing Islam:

She was one of those who had preceded to embrace Islam. She has a pure heart full of sincerity to Allah and his Messenger (PBUH). She was a loyal Muslim woman, endured Quraish’s harm and torture until she emigrated to Madinah with her emigrant brothers and sisters in Islam who were accommodated by Alanssar (the supporters) who shared with them their homes, money and residences.

The virtuous lady’s manners and good deeds:

The believers’ Mother Zainab was characterized of high and great status, specially when the Prophet (PBUH) married her and became the believers’ Mother. She was a pious woman fasting and praying voluntary night prayer, giving charity to the poor, needy people and miserable. She used to work hand works such as tanning and sewing, then sold them and gave them as charity. She was a believer, Allah fearing and honest who keeps Kinship ties.

Zainab Bint-Jahsh as a generous and bounteous woman.

There are many examples of her great and limitless generosity for the poor. Muslim narrated that Aisha may Allah be pleased with her said: “the Prophet (PBUH) said to his wives: (the first one who will die after me is the one who has the longest hand”. “So, they used to measure their hands to see who has the longest one”. Aisha said: “This one was Zainab because she used to do hand work and give charity from selling them“. In another narration Aisha said: “after the death of the Prophet (PBUH) we used to gather at the home of one of us and stretched our hands to the wall in order to measure them. We kept doing that until Zainab Bint-Jahsh died, although her hand was the shortest in measure. At that time we realized that the Prophet meant by “the longest hand” the one who gives charity more. Aisha may Allah be pleased with her said: “zainab used to sew garments and gave them to the army to use them”.

Another example, what Barzah Bint-Rafie narrated: “when the gain had been came, Omar send to Zainab Bint-Jahsh her portion. So she said: may Allah forgive Omar Ibnul-Khattab, maybe another one of my sisters could distribute this portion. They said: no, all of them are for you. She said: “Glorified be Allah, put them away and cover them”. Then she said: “take a handful of them and give it to so-and-so (some of her kinships and orphans)”. She distributed it until she only a small portion was left. So, Barzah said: “May Allah forgive you, O believers’ Mother, we must have a part of this money. Zainab said: “So take what is left”, we find only 580 dirhams. Then Zainab raised her hand supplicating Allah saying: “O, my Lord make me die before getting another gain by Omar”.

Aisha may Allah be pleased with her said: “Zainab Bint-Jahsh was my peer with the Prophet (PBUH). I have never seen such a religious, Allah fearing, honest, keeping kinship ties and giving charity as much as she did- may Allah be pleased with her.

Abdullah bin Shadad narrated that the Prophet (PBUH) said to Omar: “Zainab Bint-Jahsh is “Awahah“. The Prophet was asked: what does “Awahah” mean? He said: “the most plaintive”. As Allah says: “Surely Ibrahîm is indeed constantly forbearing, most plaintive, constantly penitent”. (Hud: 75)

Also Aisha said: “she was a benign, worshiper and a shelter for orphans and widows“. Ibn Saad said: “when Zainab Bint-Jahsh died, she did not leave any money, for she used to give charity of all what she had, and she was the shelter for poor people”.

Zainab as the Noble Hadith Narrator :

Lady Zainab may Allah be pleased with her was one of those who memorized the Prophet’s sayings, and narrated them. She narrated 11 Hadiths, and Al Bukhari and Muslim agreed upon two of them. Many companions of the Prophet (PBUH) narrated from her such as: her niece Muhammad Bin-Abdullah Bin-Jahsh, Alqassim Bin-Muhammad bin-Abu bakr and her servant Mathkur. Also many companions women narrated from her such as: “Zainab Bint-Abi sallamah and her mother Um Sallamah the believers’ Mother, the believers’ Mother Ramlah Bint-Abusufian known as Um Habibah may Allah be pleased with her and also Kulthoum Bint-Almusttalik.

Some of these Noble Hadiths: Zainab Bint-Abu Sallamh said: “I had visited Zainab Bint-Jahsh after the death of her brother, she perfumed herself and said: I swear I do not need this perfume but I heard the Prophet (PBUH) once saying: “it is forbidden for any woman -who believes in Allah and the day of judgment- to mourn more than three days except for her husband she must mourn four months and ten days”.

Al Bukhari narrated: Um Habibah Bint-Abu Sufian reported from Zainab Bint-Jahsh that the Prophet (PBUH) came frightened and said: “there is no god to be worshipped but Allah, O grief to be to the Arab, for closing evil, today the dam of Yagog and Magog had punctured like this –he circled his thumb and another finger- Zainab Bint-Jahsh said: I asked the Prophet (PBUH): O Messenger of Allah would we be ruined while there are good people? He said: “yes, if there is more evil”.

muslimahpj Group Admin
by on Dec. 1, 2011 at 12:15 AM

A fragrant biography that lots of people of goodness wanted to be a part of. There is no more honest, radiant or, luminous biography than the biography of one of the Mothers of the believers. We stand on the verge of her biography; to gain an example and a preaching, to take blessed reachable picks from the mother of the believers' biography whom Allah the Al-Mighty, the Sublime pertained of purity. O what a beautiful, fragrant biography. May Allah be pleased with her and may Allah please her.

Her upbringing

She is Barra- Bint al-Hareth-Bin –abi-Dirar-bin-Habeeb-bin-Aa'eth-bin-Malek from khuza'a, her father was the master and chief of bani-al-Mustalek. Barra lived in her father's house in honor and respect; she lived a life of luxury in a house where authenticity and deep- rootedness prevails. While she was quit a young girl, not more than twenty years of age, Barra (may Allah be Pleased with her) married musafi’ –bin-Safwan, one of kuza'as young men.

The beginnings of the light

Satan started to sneak into the hearts of bani-al-Mustalek decorating fotellingr them that they are strong and can overcome the Muslims, so they began to gear up and take preparations to fight the Islamic community under the leadership of the Messenger (PBUH), thus they gathered to fight the Messenger (PBUH). Of their leadership was their master al-Hareth-bin-abi-Dhirar, the result was the victory of the Prophet (PBUH) and the defeat of bani-al-Mustalek in their own piece of land. So the Prophet (PBUH) took a lot of men and women captives. Musafi bin Safwan - Juwayriyah's husband - was among the ones who were killed by the Muslims' swords and lady Juwayryiah was among the women captives, she fell under the arrow of Thabit-bin-Qais-bin-Shams-al-Ansari (may Allah be Pleased with him),hence she made an agreement with him to pay him a certain amount of money in return of her freedom because she was eager to be free.

Lady Juwayriyah's marriage to the Prophet (PBUH)

As fate had wanted lady Juwayryiah (may Allah be pleased with her) went to see the Prophet (PBUH) but lady Aisha (the Mother of the Believers, may Allah be pleased with her ) saw her and described her, saying: ''she was sweet, beautiful. and said: O by Allah as soon as I saw her on my rooms door I hated her and I knew that he(PBUH) would see of her what I have seen.''

Lady Juwayryiah (May Allah be pleased with her) came to the Prophet(PBUH)and said:'' I am Juwayryia –bint-al-Hareth-bin-abi-Dhirar chief of his people, I have encountered of the matter what you have known, and fell under the arrow of Thabit-bin-Qais so I had written on me nine papers to pay him in return for my freedom, so help me in my release.'' And because Bani-al –Mustalek were of the Arabs' noblest houses, of the most honourable lineage, and for the wisdom of the Prophet (PBUH) he said to Juwayryiah, "Shall I tell you what would be better than this?” She said: ''and what is that O Messenger of Allah?' .He said:’ I pay your writing and marry you.''

A while ago she was desperate to inhale the scent of freedom, but she found what is greater than that, so Juwayryiah became very happy, her face became radiant when she heard it from the Prophet (PBUH), and security she will find after the loss and the horror, so she answered him without hesitation or stutter:'' yes O Messenger of Allah.'' The Prophet (PBUH) married her and gave her a dowry of four hundred dirham.

Abu- Omar-al-Qubti in his book the assimilation (al-Istee'ab) said:'' her name was Barra so the Prophet (PBUH) changed it and named her Juwayryiah.'' So Juwayryiah (may Allah be Pleased with her) became a Mother of the Believers and the wife of the master of the world

Lady Juwayriyah's blessing

As soon as the Muslims heard the news they sat free the captives they had and said in greatness:'' they are the in-laws of the Messenger of Allah (PBUH). So Juwayriyah's blessing was one of the greatest blessings for her people. Lady Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her) said about her:'' The Prophet’s marriage to her caused the liberation of a hundred of the people of the house of bani-al-Mustalek - Juwayiyah’s tribe-, I never knew a woman with greater blessing than her.''

Her characteristics and features

Lady Juwayryia was one of the most beautiful women; she was also characterized as wise minded, relevant, with sedated opinion, and of generous ethic. She was also known for her pure heart and inner self, and on top of that she was conscious, pious, pure, Allah-fearing, Islamic jurist, of radiant soul and of luminous heart and mind.

The supplicant, always remembrant of Allah

Lady Juwayriyah followed the footprints of the Mothers of Believers in prayer and worship quoting from the Messenger of Allah (PBUH), from his ethics and his praise- worthy characteristics till she become an example of virtue and virtuousness. So the Mother of Believers Juwayryiah was of the best worshipers, suplicants, patients, and she was persisting on praising, glorifying and remembering the Ever-Exalted Almighty Allah.

The Hadith transmitter

Ibn-Abbas, Ubaid-bin-al-Sabbak, Kuraib-mola-iben-Abbas-, Mujahed, abu-ayub-yahya-bin-Malek-al-azdi, and jaber-bin-Abdullah all Reported from Lady Juwayriyah some Hadiths “ Prophet‘s sayings“. She narrated seven Hadiths; four of them are mentioned in the Six Books of Hadith, one is mentioned in the Book of Al Bukhari, and two in the Book of Muslim. Her narrations contain hadiths about fasting, not preferring to fast on Fridays, supplications, the reward of praising and glorifying Allah, and about mandatory alms-giving and the liberation of slaves….

Therefore, with seven honourable hadiths, lady Juwayryiah (may Allah be pleased with her) immortalized her name in the world of narrations. She added to the honour of accompanying the Prophet (PBUH), her motherhood to all believers, reporting to the nation some of the Prophet's (PBUH) traditions.

Her death: Meeting Allah

Lady Juwayryia has lived after the Prophet (PBUH) pleased and satisfied, her life extended to the time of Mu'awiah –bin-abi-Sufian (may Allah be pleased with them). The Mother of the Believers died in the month of Rabi' al-Awwal year fifty A.H, her body was burried in Al Baqi' and Marwan-bin-al-Hakam prayed upon her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)