Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sunday is 9th and Monday is 10th

Posted by (Group Owner) on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:50 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 243 Total Views
Of muharram. So let's fast tasoo'a and aashoura.
Let's stay away from innovations and sins on this day. Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him said that fasting aashoura will expiate the sins of the previous year. :)
I will try to bump our old aashoura posts.
Sorry for the quick " driveby " posting Lol. See you all soon. May Allah accept your deeds and bless you and yours.
I leave you all in the trusted care of Allah.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 8:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
muhajjirah Group Admin
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 9:59 PM

So here in Saudi, Ashura is on Tuesday 12/6. Fiqh Council of North America is calling Ashura on Monday 12/5. The rec'd is to fast another day with it. So inshaAllah its best to fast Monday/Tuesday if you can inshaAllah. (Scholars in the past/present have said its just safest to fast all 3 days, but if you can't then it might be safer to fast Monday/Tuesday if you can only do 2days because you dont want to miss Ashura while Saudi is saying its Tuesday). 

Rasullilah salAllahu alayhee wasallam taught us that whoever fasts on Ashura and another day with it will have all the previous years worth of minor sins forgiven. 

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Fasting the day of ‘Arafah I hope Allaah will expiate thereby for the year before it and the year after it, and fasting the day of ‘Ashoora’ I hope Allaah will expiate thereby for the year that came before it.” [Narrated by Muslim, 1162]

With regard to the reason why the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) fasted on the day of ‘Ashoora’ and urged the people to do likewise is mentioned in the hadeeth narrated by al-Bukhaari (1865) from Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him), who said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came to Madeenah and saw the Jews fasting on the day of ‘Ashoora’. He said, “What is this?” They said, “This is a good day, this is the day when Allaah saved the Children of Israel from their enemy and Moosa fasted on this day.” He said, “We are closer to Moosa than you.” So he fasted on this day and told the people to fast.

Prophet Musa (May Allah be pleased with him) and his people the Bani Israel were saved from the Pharaoh by the miracle of the parting of the sea on the day of Ashura. It was for this reason that the Jews used to fast on this day. Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) also then told the Muslims to fast on the day of Ashura as well. Ibn Abbas narrated: “When the Prophet came to Madina, he found the Jews fasting on the day of ‘Ashura’ (10th of Muharram). They used to say: “This is a great day on which Allah saved Moses and drowned the folk of Pharaoh. Moses observed the fast on this day, as a sign of gratitude to Allah.” The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, “I am closer to Moses than they.” So, he observed the fast (on that day) and ordered the Muslims to fast on it. – Bukhari 

However, the Prophet commanded to distinguish the Muslim fast of Ashura with the fast of the Jews. Ibn ‘Abbas (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: “When the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) fasted on the day of Ashura and commanded that it should be observed as a fast, they (his Companions) said to him: ‘Messenger of Allah, it is a day which the Jews and Christians hold in high esteem. Thereupon the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: ‘When the next year comes, Allah willing, we will observe fast on the 9th. But the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) died before the advent of the next year.” – Muslim Abdullah ibn Abbas (May Allah be pleased with him) also reported that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) had said: “If I live till next year, I would definitely observe fast on the 9th.”  -Muslim

Hence, one should combine another day with the fast of Ashura and fast on either the 9th and 10th of Muharram or 10th and 11th to distinguish the Muslim way of fasting as taught by Rasullilah salAllahu alayhee wasallam. 

muslimahpj Group Admin
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Thank you, Sisters.

proud2bmom3 Group Owner
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Assalamu alaikum my dearest muhajjirah. I read Saudis announcement. They said It was cloudy that night. But second day they saw the moon and it looked like a two day old crescent.
A lot of Saudi newspapers, Jordanian, Egyptian , aljazeera and more relevant to us who live in the states ; isna : they announced
Sunday is the ninth and Monday is the tenth.
So for those of us in America. Insha Allah ot would be ok to fast with OUR jamaa'a and according to our moon , not worrying about cloudy Saudi skies
Personally. I encourage all to fast the three days. Sunday Monday and tuesday. By thar we follow the sunnah of fasting three days of every month. And inshaa Allah will get out of khilaaaf ( confusion )
If I speak In error then it is from me. May Allah forgive me and guide us all to what pleases HIM

Love you for the sake of Allah and leave you in HIS trusted care.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muhajjirah Group Admin
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 9:34 AM
many ppl in saudi fasted today not realizing the saudi council changed their position on ashura.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)